• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 "Gateway" Anime Sure to Get Newbies Hooked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Heads up: the new poll is the old poll.

Fixed, thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yappers4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I found the results of the old poll a bit funny because Golden Darkness/Yami ranked higher than Eve and they are essentially the same characters, just in two different series made by the same artist.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Ranho wrote:

(Cowboy Bebop gets a pass because its atmosphere pulls you in despite its episodic nature)

I made it through ten episodes but I just didn't get it. "These guys are cool, capable losers."

Did something get lost in translation? They took the "hero thieves will always fail to be real thieves" story but applied it to bounty hunters so they always get the bad guy... somehow... without getting the big payday... somehow.

Episode 9 where Ed was introduced was good {with a completed job, even!} but 10 went right back to nada. Oh, I should have paid more to its atmosphere, drinking in its edges rather than actually follow the show?

Suffice it to say I'm not a fan of the director; I'm just not interested in the people he thinks are "cool".

Black Lagoon, oh god, the second season, what a pile. I feel like an idiot buying the full set based on the excellent first season.

Psycho Pass, pass. I can hear it now, "What's wrong with her face?"

Brotherhood... actually I would have to go with the first one and I don't even like it. It doesn't get as complex and the early highpoints are more fully fleshed out.

Another? "The class is cursed because the class number is cursed so, every year..." There's a certain flaw with this series, namely Mei having the ability to spoiler[see dead people with an unseeing fake eye]. What, you thought it'd be something more obvious?

Fruits Basket; I look to my left and I see it on my shelf as its been there for almost three years; I've watched half of it. The girl's kind of bland, isn't she? Even by shoujo standards, she's cardboard.

Tenchi, saw it twenty years, bought it 12 years ago, still love it. Unlike many harem shows, it's charming while remaining endearingly fantastic {as in "fantasy like"} best seen in the episode "I Love Tenchi", though it's best not to think about Washu doing ... whatever ... she did with the masu. Yes, she used her ova; Did she use anything else?
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I'd throw Soul Eater on that list as well. And Fairy Tail too.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I think Samuari Champloo should on this list without a doubt.

But apart from Fruit Baskets and Psycho Pass this list will work for mainly guys and a few girls (like myself).

Ouran High School Club is fun and I made my sister watch Detective Conan which made her realize not all anime is boobs and robots.

I also find choosing an anime that's low on the wacky facial expressions and more realistic character designs helps as well.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Robotech on weekday afternoons and Speed Racer at night, for me. Through in some late-night movies on Scifi Channel a little bit later and that's how I got to where I am now.
drifty1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Man, this week's poll was a toss-up for me. I had to choose between Nodome Cantabile and NANA...aaaarrrrggggggghh.
Ranho

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Animegomaniac"][quote="Ranho"]

Quote:
I made it through ten episodes but I just didn't get it. "These guys are cool, capable losers."

I'd never recommend Cowboy Bebop for the story, me. The appeal for me was the style (not substance). Hell, I can't even say I liked any of the characters, not even Ein (the dog). It's just one of those shows you watch because it is gorgeous even by today's standards and delivers if you want to run away to a place you can never go(though fans rave about how the main trio of Spike, Jill and Jet couldn't get away from their pasts, which makes sense to me now that I'm older).

Quote:
Black Lagoon, oh god, the second season, what a pile. I feel like an idiot buying the full set based on the excellent first season.

Haha, really? It does get super OTT with the Romanian twins and the Yakuza/Russian Mafia arcs but again it's down to aesthetics and atmosphere. You know, the whole "This island's inhabitants are all corrupt sociopaths"

Quote:
Psycho Pass, pass. I can hear it now, "What's wrong with her face?"

Ahahahahahahaha!
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Ranho wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Haha, really? It does get super OTT with the Romanian twins and the Yakuza/Russian Mafia arcs but again it's down to aesthetics and atmosphere. You know, the whole "This island's inhabitants are all corrupt sociopaths"

Plus if I'm not mistaken, those things were still in the manga. Just not as OTT as the anime was with them.

So if there's really any problem, it's with the source material itself, and not its adaptation.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
srlracing wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
AoT has also become a gateway anime but maybe Lynzee didn't include it on the list as how popular/somewhat overrated it is/can be. This also applies to Eva.

More than anything with AoT and Eva is the high barrier for entry because of the extreme violence and psychological horror.

The extreme violence and psyhological horror makes it all the more enticing to western audiences in my experience.

This list really needs Death Note, Hellsing Ultimate, Attack On Titan and Fate/Zero here. Those 4 shows have gotten very literally dozens of my friends/co-workers/acquaintances to start watching anime. At least in my circle of friends, the more gore and psychological stuff, the better.

Seriously, at the very least it is a crime that Death Note isn't on this list. I can count 7 people who have now watched 20 plus anime just because of me starting them out on that.

Last edited by relyat08 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I would've put in Ghost in the Shell. And maybe Patlabor. Overall this is a pretty good list. The only one I don't think would be good is Black Lagoon, mainly because I thought that series was awful.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Seems like there've got to be newer and better fanservice / harem / comedy shows to serve as gateways than the nearly 20-year-old Tenchi Muyo! For friends of a sufficiently filthy mind, I'd be inclined to stream the raunchy Seitokai Yakuindomo*, which is easier to just drop in on, as it's an endless run of dirty jokes based on a 4-panel comic… no explanations, backstory, or world-building needed.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Seems like there've got to be newer and better fanservice / harem / comedy shows to serve as gateways than the nearly 20-year-old Tenchi Muyo! For friends of a sufficiently filthy mind, I'd be inclined to stream the raunchy Seitokai Yakuindomo*, which is easier to just drop in on, as it's an endless run of dirty jokes based on a 4-panel comic… no explanations, backstory, or world-building needed.

For fan-service shows I would probably pick Waiting In The Summer, or maybe High School of the Dead, depending on the type of people you are trying to entice, of course. In my case, most of my friends and co-workers are 20 something guys, so plenty of over the top gore and action with a misogynistic main character and boobs galore is pretty much perfect(plus Zombies).
Ranho

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
Ranho wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Plus if I'm not mistaken, those things were still in the manga. Just not as OTT as the anime was with them.

So if there's really any problem, it's with the source material itself, and not its adaptation.

You know what's funny? Out of all the anime I've watched and all the anime I've tried to recommend to my anime-viewing friends, "Black Lagoon" is the one they refuse to watch lol

I don't know why I enjoyed it as much as I did, especially given the fact that I was new to anime at the time and was aware that some anime went "there" with the violence.

I think it was just the contrast between Revy and Rock. None of the madness in the series mattered as much as how these two characters changed one another in opposite directions (Revy towards good, Rock towards bad).

Ah well, you can't take away the fact that this show is one among only a few with a dub that surpasses the sub.

When Revy says "Rrrrock!" Ooh, the chills! lol
Ranho

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
BTW I kind of second all those who say Samurai Champloo should be on the list.

Maybe it should replace Cowboy Bebop since it has both style AND heart.

It's way more fun than CB anyway, with a soundtrack that's lush and just this awesomeness about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10