• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Sword Art Online: Extra Edition, Silver Spoon 2 on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NormanicGrav

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Honestly, I'm kind of pissed off that so many of you guys complain about Aniplex. I'd love to be able to get all that Limited Edition stuff but the import costs are ridiculous and the BD is probably region locked. Here in Australia the only shows that have gotten the 'Limited Edition' treatment were Psycho Pass and Attack on Titan and they were pretty much just watered down versions of Funimation's Limited Edition with the same price tag.

The one company who I do think it is worth complaining about is Sentai. Really sub par English Dubs, big blocky yellow subtitles, no extras and a $60 pricetag? Why are you guys okay with that yet complain when Aniplex try to do something cool that no other company in the world is doing? It's not like you're paying money for nothing.

I haven't got any problems with Aniplex at all either, their sets are great but I am disappointed with the treatment for some titles this year (no chipboard and releasing shows too early or rather subpar (Madoka Movies didn't get a great CE treatment so I imported the Japanese LEs). The plus side is that the Blu-rays are region free (so far every single title has been tested & confirmed as A & B, from R.O.D. all the way to the recent Monogatari SS arc).

Here in the UK Psycho Pass and Attack on Titan got the worse treatment out of the whole English speaking regions. Attack on Titan had extras from the Blu-ray version stripped out and put on DVD exclusively to the Blu-ray Collector's Edition which is a cardboard flimsy box, and so far Part 2 doesn't even have the second half of the extras. Not to mention both sets have some subtitle issues. Thankfully Anime Limited are here to do stuff Manga & MVM can't even handle.

I agree on everything you said about Sentai. Their QC has been ridiculous but I'm hoping their Collector's Edition sets provide a good decent treatment (got Chunibyo pre-ordered knowing KAZE will probably screw over the UK release).
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Why are you guys okay with that yet complain when Aniplex try to do something cool that no other company in the world is doing? It's not like you're paying money for nothing.

Ever heard of NIS America? Yeah, they do the same thing that Aniplex of America does, but at half the cost. The give premium editions to all of their licenses and charge about half of what Aniplex does.

Case in point, AnoHana. Nis America released a premium edition for the series (11 episodes long) at 69.99 and Aniplex of America released the RECAP movie of AnoHana 79.99. The point here is that both companies released 2 version of the same show with the Nis America's release having move content and being cheaper.

Stop trying to justify Aniplex's buisness model because we all know that it's bull shit but they just hold the hottest shows at the moment hostage with the ransom being much too high to pay and most end up passing on the shows all together. Aniplex is just the asshole of all the R1 companies that wants to establish Japanese prices for anime in the R1 market. They need to sell much fewer sets to get their return on the investment so that they survive and troll the Fandom again. They are plainly trolling the R1 Anime Market.
誤称

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
Just a note: the Anohana movie wasn't exactly a recap.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
Honestly, while Aniplex's prices are steeper than what I'm used to, there's no real alternative for me. If I want to (legally) own an anime like Silver Spoon, there AREN'T any other sellers. And since I can't understand Japanese, nor do I own a DVD/Blu ray player that plays anything other than R1 discs, they're my only option.

Luckily for me, I'm fairly picky about what I choose to own, and Aniplex usually doesn't offer something I'm interested in. So for me, it boils down to "Do I want this?" and "Can I afford it?". If the answer to both is "yes", then I just pony up the cash.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

The one company who I do think it is worth complaining about is Sentai. Really sub par English Dubs, big blocky yellow subtitles, no extras and a $60 pricetag? Why are you guys okay with that yet complain when Aniplex try to do something cool that no other company in the world is doing? It's not like you're paying money for nothing.

You must be confused, Sentai most certainly does not charge $60 for their 1 cour bare bones releases. They charge about $35.00.

That is about 1/2 of what AOA charges for their own 1 cour bare bones release.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:51 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

Ever heard of NIS America? Yeah, they do the same thing that Aniplex of America does, but at half the cost. The give premium editions to all of their licenses and charge about half of what Aniplex does.

Case in point, AnoHana. Nis America released a premium edition for the series (11 episodes long) at 69.99 and Aniplex of America released the RECAP movie of AnoHana 79.99. The point here is that both companies released 2 version of the same show with the Nis America's release having move content and being cheaper.

Stop trying to justify Aniplex's buisness model because we all know that it's bull shit but they just hold the hottest shows at the moment hostage with the ransom being much too high to pay and most end up passing on the shows all together. Aniplex is just the asshole of all the R1 companies that wants to establish Japanese prices for anime in the R1 market. They need to sell much fewer sets to get their return on the investment so that they survive and troll the Fandom again. They are plainly trolling the R1 Anime Market.

I think you're forgetting that Aniplex actually creates animation while NIS, Funimation, Sentai etc does not. All they have to do is make back the cash for the license fee which is a rather cute amount of money compared to what Aniplex forks over to fund their titles.

Once the companies who release cheap discs begin to actually produce shows i'll take that argument seriously. For now they're just middlemen, and like any other kind of middlemen they don't have anything to do with the creation of the products (anime shows) that they license and distribute.

I'll rather pay up and support the actual creators, rather than pay less and support the bank account of the middleman.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

I think you're forgetting that Aniplex actually creates animation while NIS, Funimation, Sentai etc does not. All they have to do is make back the cash for the license fee which is a rather cute amount of money compared to what Aniplex forks over to fund their titles.

I think you're confusing Aniplex Japan with Aniplex USA. Aside from A1, they don't have animation studios themselves.

Horrible comparison nonetheless as Funi, NISA and Sentai are smaller companies rather than a subsidiary of Sony.

That's like saying Bandai Entertainment USA made shows.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

I think you're confusing Aniplex Japan with Aniplex USA. Aside from A1, they don't have animation studios themselves.

Nope, i'm not confusing any companies here. Aniplex USA is just a subsidary of Aniplex JP that distributes Aniplex JP's properties in the US. Would you be more inclined to agree with my statement if they didn't create a new name and just released the very same products they're doing right now but under the name of Aniplex Japan?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

You seem to be implying that Aniplex Japan created Aniplex USA to have R1 costumers help fund anime. That sounds like bs to me. The reason for AoA's business model is because they found a small consumer base willing to pay their prices.

If AoA does not pay for licenses and because most of their stuff is subtitled only, they need to recoup less money. Therefore, they have higher prices because they feel like it. Funimation and the rest of the R1 companies take a bigger economic risk licensing and dubbing content. Funimation, Sentai would be more entitled to have higher pricing.

Do not make things up and say that we are somehow funding, or impacting in a big way, the production of anime. By the time AoA released SAO on BD/DVD here, that production had been financed, recoup its investment and made profit long ago.

We might contribute some money to the Japanese companies, but it is nothing compared to what Japanese fans pay for their anime discs.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

You seem to be implying that Aniplex Japan created Aniplex USA to have R1 costumers help fund anime. That sounds like bs to me. The reason for AoA's business model is because they found a small consumer base willing to pay their prices.

Do not make things up and say that we are somehow funding, or impacting in a big way, the production of anime. By the time AoA released SAO on BD/DVD here, that production had been financed, recoup its investment and made profit long ago.

We might contribute some money to the Japanese companies, but it is nothing compared to what Japanese fans pay for their anime discs.

No, Aniplex Japan created Aniplex USA because they knew they could make more money by releasing their own properties in the US.

And it's not about impacting the market in a big way, because we aren't remotely close to doing that. I have no idea why you draw this conclusion... It's about Aniplex making more money off US sales than they would if they licensed out their properties to other companies.

And the main point being that buying from Aniplex supports the industry much more than buying something from Funimation and others. Their discs cheaper, so any royalties will be very small, and licensing fees aren't exactly what they used to be. Aniplex discs are more expensive and a larger percentage of that price tag will circulate back to Japan.

So you do in fact make a significantly larger impact on the industry by buying stuff from Aniplex USA, as opposed to the impact you'd make by buying Funimation products. But since you're so eager to try to prove me wrong i'll add this so that there's no room for odd conclusions on your part; the impact of buying Aniplex USA products is still small in comparison to buying actual Japanese releases. But it's still much more supportive to buy Aniplex USA releases than buying releases from middlemen like Funimation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
@ SouthPacific: no, you are completely wrong. AoA only releases Aniplex/A-1 Pictures titles. So if Funi, Sentai et al and others didn't exist, there are a lot of other titles that would not ever see any NA license fees/royalties. Especially for those titles that don't sell well in Japan, overseas license fees/royalties are very important. I can assure you that there are a host of Japanese production committees that are very glad distribs like Funi and Sentai exist.

Look, we get it: you're an AoA groupie, but don't let your love lead you into making obviously dumb statements.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
NormanicCrazer wrote:
(Madoka Movies didn't get a great CE treatment so I imported the Japanese LEs).
Here in Australia it's going to be $70 for both movies on Blu-ray with a collector's box and an artbook which I think is fair. I imported Rebellion because I loved the movie but I held out on the recap movies since I didn't like them as much. I'm mostly just getting it for the English Dub and to complete the collection. Not sure if I'm going to get Rebellion when it comes out even though I'd love to see it dubbed.

Quote:
The plus side is that the Blu-rays are region free (so far every single title has been tested & confirmed as A & B, from R.O.D. all the way to the recent Monogatari SS arc).
Really? I've just been assuming this whole time most of them were region locked since Madman author most Aniplex releases themselves. Although now I'm guessing it's financial reasons. It's a shame because we miss out on both the physical and on disc extras and I really, really want to see the interviews on the Fate/Zero Blu-rays. But I've already paid $120 for the barebones Australian release (With the flimsy collector's box) so I'm not double dipping just for interviews.

Quote:
Here in the UK Psycho Pass and Attack on Titan got the worse treatment out of the whole English speaking regions. Attack on Titan had extras from the Blu-ray version stripped out and put on DVD exclusively to the Blu-ray Collector's Edition which is a cardboard flimsy box, and so far Part 2 doesn't even have the second half of the extras. Not to mention both sets have some subtitle issues. Thankfully Anime Limited are here to do stuff Manga & MVM can't even handle.
Wow, that sounds like a pain. I haven't gotten either Titan or Psycho Pass (Might get the collectors edition of Titan Part 2 when it comes out in Australia) but judging by the on disc extras and the 'Funimation' logo on the front cover I think they just repackaged the US version. Don't know why they didn't just do that with the UK version.

Quote:
I agree on everything you said about Sentai. Their QC has been ridiculous but I'm hoping their Collector's Edition sets provide a good decent treatment (got Chunibyo pre-ordered knowing KAZE will probably screw over the UK release).
Unless you count Kino's Journey (Which was an ADV release but the money still goes to Section 23) I haven't personally bought anything from Sentai. That being said I did get Girls und Panzer on Blu-ray which is literally just the Sentai discs in a different box and I was pretty disappointed with it. Not to mention I hear their English Dubs all the time and let's just say that they're not quite on par with the other companies.

As for Chuunibyou it sounds pretty enticing. They even managed to get the English Voice actors to do commentary which is very rare for Sentai. But if they at least have the on disc extras I'm fine getting the Australia release.

EDIT: Checked again and realised they meant Japanese voice actors. But either way it sounds pretty good.

Rinkwolf wrote:
Ever heard of NIS America? Yeah, they do the same thing that Aniplex of America does, but at half the cost.
And they're probably losing a shit ton of money in the process unless they sell a certain amount of copies.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
You must be confused, Sentai most certainly does not charge $60 for their 1 cour bare bones releases. They charge about $35.00.
I just checked and the dubbed barebones releases on sale for 40% off on rightstuf are $42.

The RRP? $70. I know not many places will charge you that much but when you consider that literally the exact same discs in a different box are selling at an RRP of $60 here in Australia (Like most anime releases whether it be Funimation, Sentai, Aniplex or Viz) it's kind of weird.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
And it's not about impacting the market in a big way, because we aren't remotely close to doing that. I have no idea why you draw this conclusion... It's about Aniplex making more money off US sales than they would if they licensed out their properties to other companies.

You are the one that painted AoA as a company with the mission to help fund anime. Now you are saying that they are here to make more money by cutting the middlemen.

Quote:
So you do in fact make a significantly larger impact on the industry by buying stuff from Aniplex USA, as opposed to the impact you'd make by buying Funimation products. But since you're so eager to try to prove me wrong i'll add this so that there's no room for odd conclusions on your part; the impact of buying Aniplex USA products is still small in comparison to buying actual Japanese releases. But it's still much more supportive to buy Aniplex USA releases than buying releases from middlemen like Funimation.

I am not trying to prove you wrong necessarily; I am saying that you are making stuff up. And you probably will not like this, but you seem to be against supporting companies like Funimation. You might not appreciate the services provided by R1 companies not named NISA and Aniplex USA, but I sure do.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ SouthPacific: no, you are completely wrong. AoA only releases Aniplex/A-1 Pictures titles. So if Funi, Sentai et al and others didn't exist, there are a lot of other titles that would not ever see any NA license fees/royalties. Especially for those titles that don't sell well in Japan, overseas license fees/royalties are very important. I can assure you that there are a host of Japanese production committees that are very glad distribs like Funi and Sentai exist.

Look, we get it: you're an AoA groupie, but don't let your love lead you into making obviously dumb statements.

Woah there. When did I say that Funimation and others should just up and leave right this very moment? Their services are welcomed as they do bring in money, but again, Aniplex has proven that by opening up a subsidary and cutting out the middleman they're making more money. Pony Canyon is now joining them, and others are likely to follow in due time. I didn't say that in the meantime Japan should just stop license their shows and lose out on money anywhere, so I have no idea how you managed to get that from my comment.

And i'd very interested if you could point out what part of my statement(s) are wrong, rather than just saying that i'm wrong. On that note, i'd also like to know what of my statement(s) are dumb.

@angelmc, I didn't paint AoA to such a mission, that's your skewed interpretation of what I wrote. Hopefully by now saying that I did NOT do so, you can understand it. But seemingly you read only what you wish to read.

Quote:
I am not trying to prove you wrong necessarily; I am saying that you are making stuff up.

What exactly am I making up? If you're going to accuse me of lying i'd be happy if you could at least mention what i'm lying about.

And yes, I am not supportive Funimation and Sentai Filmworks because I do not think they treat their titles very well. Packaging errors & on-disc errors are regular occurences for them, and as such I cannot approve of their businesses. With the coming of PONYCAN and hopefully soon other Japanese distribs they'll get less titles and possibly have to restructure, and then perhaps they'll get less sloppy.

If you, members of my endearing fanclub, wish to engage in a discussion with me, please do not leave things out of context and accuse me of lying without anything to back up your claims. All credibility will be lost.

Last edited by SouthPacific on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex/A-1 Pictures titles are among the ones who need the least support from overseas fans. First, Aniplex is owned by a little mom and pop operation - you may have heard of them - called Sony. Second, Aniplex is (usually) very smart about its titles: it has a good eye for picking ones that are likely to do well. I'd say it is the rare Aniplex/A-1 Pictures title that isn't solidly in the black by the time it reaches our shores. We are just gravy. Gravy that AoA slurps greedily through it's revolting pricing structure. The idea that by buying AoA products you are "helping" the OVERALL anime industry more than buying from distribs like Funi and Sentai is truly laughable. Mind you, considering the financial bath that Sony takes from its TV manufacturing division, it's probably not a bad thing to help prop them up...

eta @ SP : didn't see your post when I posted the above, but it is still germane. If you had said that AoA makes more money distributing Aniplex titles in NA by doing it itself, I would agree with you. But you went further, claiming that buying from AoA supported the anime industry MORE than buying from Funi and Sentai. That is clearly false.

And there is a very simple reason why more Japanese companies aren't following the AoA lead: as I explained above with Aniplex being owned by Sony and AoA being owned by Aniplex and the fact that Aniplex of Japan/A-1 Pictures makes so many big selling titles, they are uniquely situated to take advantage of those benefits. Most Japanese production companies aren't. I'm sure a lot of production committees would love to cut out the middleman and do what AoA is doing, but they don't have the same advantages so it's not practical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4