• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J.C. Staff's Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma Anime Casts Yoshitsugu Matsuoka

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konqueror

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu?

I don't know if there's a voice more annoying than his in the whole anime industry. His voice is way too girly and bad.

He's like a cheap and ten times worse Okamoto Nobuhiko
#Synergy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
Hmm JC Staff huh? Thank God Toei didn't get it.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Damn, Matsuoka Yoshitsugu is really going at full throttle. Along with Absolute Duo and Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darō ka? (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?) [which is another J.C. Staff work], he's here to stay
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
meepsheeps wrote:
dammit why is kirito in every show LOL

ah well, hoping for better voice actors for the rest of the characters at least

I really think Yoshitsugu Matsuoka gets a bit of a bad rap with the whole "ugh, Kirito" thing. I get that some people have issues with SAO (and I certainly don't think it's flawless myself), but I honestly found Matsuoka's performance to be one of the parts I liked about the show.

Not to mention he's done some other good work besides that. His performance as Sora from No Game, No Life was pitch-perfect in my opinion. I honestly think he's really well-suited to Souma.

It's not just Kirito but he voices all of the perverted harem characters in the recent anime seasons, like Trinity Seven's protag and NGNL's Sora who aren't bad but not really appealing to a girl like me. And hearing him in all the pandering shows makes it hard to like him too. Yuki Kaji also fits the "overheard" VA tag but he actually has a somewhat versatile voice compared to Kirito who sounds the same in everything.

konqueror wrote:
I don't know if there's a voice more annoying than his in the whole anime industry. His voice is way too girly and bad.

He's like a cheap and ten times worse Okamoto Nobuhiko

This. I wish they brought the other big male VAs in on these types of roles. I liked it when High School of the Dead had a non-girly voice actor (Suwabe) voicing the main role. It's like a breath of fresh air when the male lead actually sounds manly.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
meepsheeps wrote:
Darkmagick wrote:
meepsheeps wrote:
dammit why is kirito in every show LOL

ah well, hoping for better voice actors for the rest of the characters at least

I really think Yoshitsugu Matsuoka gets a bit of a bad rap with the whole "ugh, Kirito" thing. I get that some people have issues with SAO (and I certainly don't think it's flawless myself), but I honestly found Matsuoka's performance to be one of the parts I liked about the show.

Not to mention he's done some other good work besides that. His performance as Sora from No Game, No Life was pitch-perfect in my opinion. I honestly think he's really well-suited to Souma.

It's not just Kirito but he voices all of the perverted harem characters in the recent anime seasons, like Trinity Seven's protag and NGNL's Sora who aren't bad but not really appealing to a girl like me. And hearing him in all the pandering shows makes it hard to like him too. Yuki Kaji also fits the "overheard" VA tag but he actually has a somewhat versatile voice compared to Kirito who sounds the same in everything.

I think it's just a matter of taste, really. I think that Matsuoka is one of the only voice actors who can actually make the typical milquetoast harem protagonist even remotely interesting to me. He does well with the "nice guy" characters. (And besides, voicing badly written or unappealing characters ≠ bad actor. It just means an actor who's paying the bills. Voice actors don't write the script, after all. Though for the record, I don't find Sora to be either poorly written or unappealing.)

I actually am much, much more sick of Yuuki Kaji. It's not that I dislike him, but I don't like him as much as his popularity dictates, and he's just in too much. I mainly find him interesting either as total comic goofballs or in villainous roles. (Everyone hated Q-vier from Valvrave, and with good reason, but I thought Kaji's performance was perfect.) He's really rather boring in traditional heroic roles.

Oh, and I'm a girl too, by the way. Wink
Mathias2001

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Index fans just died a little.

Looking forward to it.

Well I am sad that they won't do Index 3! I want it now! The railgun season 2 was fantastic(Sisters Arc) and having a season 3 of Index would totally make me so happy. There are great arcs coming in the future.

But I do love Shokugeki No Soma, it is in my top 10 animes(mangas) like A Certain Magical Index 2 and A Certain Scientific Railgun S but a little bit down. I am so excited to see it in anime form, the characters in the anime look glamorous and I expect a lot with this, I hope JC Staff don't ruin it like they sorta did with Index 1 and 2 which could be better if they made it slow paced. But again, they did Familiar Of Zero and a Certain Scientific Railgun S which were amazing anime adaptions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2