• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sekai Project Launches Clannad Crowdfunding Campaign

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razisgosu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to when this finally lands on steam.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'll try backing it after any stretch goals come out cause there's no doubt it's gonna be funded. 5 hours and it's already over halfway funded.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I do kind of wonder if an October 2015 delivery date is realistic. Not that I have any reason to doubt Sekai Project, but VNs in general have a lousy track record of late. The wildly-overfunded Megatokyo VN was supposed to ship in February and is clearly nowhere close to done, and the delays on Key's own Angel Beats! VN can now be measured in years.

(Pretty safe bet that Lovely Little Thieves will beat both of them to release, considering Hope and friends already have a playable demo)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
invalidname, in case you didn't notice, this is simply for an official translated release of an already established product. It's not some English fan-type VN like the other two you mentioned.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda sad, I was actually ready to shell out for the $1000 tier. Clannad is pretty much the only thing I would do that for. Alas they were snatched up right away. But that's okay, my wallet will be much happier with the $200 tier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I like how they are clear about not creating a dub, and it's quite interesting to see that not a single backer has made an inquiry about it.

Backed it for the physical copy, though i'll surely up that as the days go by Laughing.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
invalidname, in case you didn't notice, this is simply for an official translated release of an already established product. It's not some English fan-type VN like the other two you mentioned.

Oh I know, and I'll get in on this Kickstarter when all is said and done, but I do think the amount of work here is pretty daunting. Estimates of Clannad's word count that I've found range from 700,000 to over 1,000,000
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
I like how they are clear about not creating a dub, and it's quite interesting to see that not a single backer has made an inquiry about it.

As of this writing, over US$80,000 has been pledged out of the original US$140,000 goal, and they still have until January before the campaign ends. Somebody should inquire about an English dub as an additional stretch goal. I'm not quite sure if they can prematurely terminate the campaign once it reaches the intended goal.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:
Also, Clannad is already fully translated. Sekai is stealing those who translated the novels. One by one.

You do realize that Clannad's fanTL is well known for being poorly done and incomplete, right? Also, this Kickstarter will fund a professionally done TL from the people who have worked on the AoT manga and light novels. This isn't to say that fan TLs are bad (most are great - notice how Sekai is working with the fanTL team to release Grisaia), but Clannad's was certainly not very good.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
megagold5 wrote:
Bagh, I would only help fund were there to be an English dub produced, even if it were just a stretch goal.

I can't stand it when games are not properly localised. Shoving on English subtitles is not good enough.

I enjoy English VA as much as the next guy, but do you not realize (1) how long this game is (somewhere around ~300 hours) and (2) how much work it is to translate such a massive game?
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Oh I know, and I'll get in on this Kickstarter when all is said and done, but I do think the amount of work here is pretty daunting. Estimates of Clannad's word count that I've found range from 700,000 to over 1,000,000

From the "Risks and Challenges" section of the KS page:

"CLANNAD's length is definitely one of it's most challenging aspects. With over 1.35 million Japanese characters in the game, CLANNAD is actually longer than Tolstoy's "War and Peace"! With that hurdle in mind, we'll be working very closely with Visual Art's/Key to ensure everything goes smoothly.|
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Somebody should inquire about an English dub as an additional stretch goal.

No, they shouldn't.

The game has far too many lines to be dubbed at any reasonable cost.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

As of this writing, over US$80,000 has been pledged out of the original US$140,000 goal, and they still have until January before the campaign ends. Somebody should inquire about an English dub as an additional stretch goal. I'm not quite sure if they can prematurely terminate the campaign once it reaches the intended goal.

The only way to end a campaign on Kickstarter prematurely is to cancel it - so it looks like this campaign is going to go the full 60 days. I could see the English dub being considered, but considering the amount of VA work required, that as a stretch goal will probably be very low down on the priority list.

Considering all the other things I'd rather have for this release (PS3 assets ~ 1080p+ assets + 5.1/2.0 sound remix ~ , voiced lines for the protagonist, Mac/Linux ports, portable ports, physical version of the fanbook, etc.), I don't think an English dub will happen for this or any other VN for the foreseeable future.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm confused. are they saying that the only way to get pysical copy of the game you have to add money to the plege? Or are you able to buy a pysical copy of the game after the 140,000 mark is hit which would fund them to make pysical copies of the game.

I really, really really really want this game, but I am not making a steam acount just for this game. I want a pysical one that I can put in my computer.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
There's a $50 pledge for a physical copy of the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4