• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: Naruto Manga was "Once in a Lifetime" Success

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Ah, the 4kids lover strikes again.

Is that so? I would surmise that you are one of the mindless rancorous imps I call "green-toed trolls" who scream loudly yet vainly against that invisible wall we know as "the man" in light of the terrible injustice delt against you and yours that is the severe editing of an animated television production. Dear me, I feel my bowels just let up out of sheer awe for your noble and glorious text crusade against a multi-million dollar corporation. Maybe if you're lucky, you could make it into popular myth like King Arthur did.

While it is true that I have defended 4Kids in argument before, it was never on behalf of their treatment of One Piece; I do work for a One Piece forum afterall, so their funny idea of "localization" doesn't necessarily coincide with my own.

At that, we've got no data for the OP, Bleach, or even Naruto DVDs; we just know the OP manga isn't selling too well. For any and all Eiichiro Oda fans, that's pretty disheartening news.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
animalia555 wrote:
Ah, the 4kids lover strikes again.

Is that so? I would surmise that you are one of the mindless rancorous imps I call "green-toed trolls" who scream loudly yet vainly against that invisible wall we know as "the man" in light of the terrible injustice delt against you and yours that is the severe editing of an animated television production. Dear me, I feel my bowels just let up out of sheer awe for your noble and glorious text crusade against a multi-million dollar corporation. Maybe if you're lucky, you could make it into popular myth like King Arthur did.

shhhhhhhhhh.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Malintex:
Quote:
I would surmise that you are one of the mindless rancorous imps I call "green-toed trolls" who scream loudly yet vainly against that invisible wall we know as "the man" in light of the terrible injustice delt against you and yours that is the severe editing of an animated television production. Dear me, I feel my bowels just let up out of sheer awe for your noble and glorious text crusade against a multi-million dollar corporation.

I can feel for One Piece fans, since Al Kahn hates Asians almost as much as Harvey Weinstein.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
ChichiriMuyo wrote:
I find it funny that anyone would call Naruto a once in a life time deal when they are only comparing it to one of its contemporaries. Can anyone doubt the thought that DBZ would have done the exact same thing if anime had gone mainstream a few yaers earlier? There'll be a book that beats Naruto in a few years, no doubt.

I'm sure sooner than that.

I agree with Chichiri. This is just another one of those, "Don't get too happy anime fans! It's just a fluke" comments that skeptics make. We've read it and heard it before.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I can feel for One Piece fans, since Al Kahn hates Asians almost as much as Harvey Weinstein.

How did you come to that conclusion? Unless there's outright documental evidenceof this sort of hatred, I'm doubtful of any sort of deliberate racism on the part of 4Kids; rather, they are appearing racist with their over-the-top and clumsy gestures of political-correctness.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I understand that Bleach comes on AS and naruto on Toonami. But why can't they just do like they did for Gundam Wing? With naruto even- they could air the unedited version with cursing and blood at a later time. With Bleach they could edit it and put it on at an ealier time and still show it late. That way they could reach both markets.

although, thinking back on it when Gundam Wing aired it was still Toonami. Just toonami at midnight. it worked once it should work again. Or would it be too diffuclt to make parents not complain that their child stayed up till 12 and saw blood and heared someone say: "dammit"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Rikabu wrote:
I'm thinking Bleach and Naruto are becoming the next DBZ and Pokemon, as far as popularity is concerned.

it makes sense. But remember that Pokemon aired on local channels. Even though many more people have cable then they did before, theres still a lot of people without.

Even DBZ aired on local tv for a short while. At least where I live.

We also didn't have quick dvd releases back then either.
But even so, I don't think it will get as popular as Pokemon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Naru2099

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I actually have a different view on this. Naruto will always be more popular than Bleach for various reason. I personally hate Naruto as I believe it is more hyped than it's actually good, but I feel there are other factors than Toonami/[as]. I've always known when Naruto came to the US, it would probably hit DBZ levels. From going to enough conventions, (And seeing enough headbands -_-) Naruto was popular among a lot of fans even before a US release. It's sort of creates an effect like "They tell 2 friends, then they each tell 2 friends, and so on"

I feel Naruto is much more marketable than Bleach is. I'm pretty sure kids are going to think ninjas are more cooler than shinigami. Also, with TiVo and DVR devices among more homes than a couple of years ago, I don't really like the Toonami/[as] argument. Kids don't have to stay up as late, and just have it recorded to watch when they want.

Now only if we could back in time, and prevent every little edit and about every voice actor in One Piece, pirates would be ruling across America!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Naru2099 wrote:
I actually have a different view on this. Naruto will always be more popular than Bleach for various reason. I personally hate Naruto as I believe it is more hyped than it's actually good, but I feel there are other factors than Toonami/[as]. I've always known when Naruto came to the US, it would probably hit DBZ levels. From going to enough conventions, (And seeing enough headbands -_-) Naruto was popular among a lot of fans even before a US release. It's sort of creates an effect like "They tell 2 friends, then they each tell 2 friends, and so on"

I feel Naruto is much more marketable than Bleach is. I'm pretty sure kids are going to think ninjas are more cooler than shinigami. Also, with TiVo and DVR devices among more homes than a couple of years ago, I don't really like the Toonami/[as] argument. Kids don't have to stay up as late, and just have it recorded to watch when they want.

Now only if we could back in time, and prevent every little edit and about every voice actor in One Piece, pirates would be ruling across America!

Preach papa Preach! I think with the POTC fever they would have actually went somewhere. Darn you 4kids!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Or would it be too diffuclt to make parents not complain that their child stayed up till 12 and saw blood and heared someone say: "dammit"?
Some parents just don't want to take responsibility for their own children. It's easier to just say, "those bad people at Cartoon Network showed my little angel naughty things! Now anything bad my child has ever done is their fault!"

Bad parenting is the problem, not unedited anime.

Anyway, Naruto's going to do better in sales solely because it can be enjoyed by a larger audience. It's light enough on violence and drama to be bought by kids and it's just adult enough to be enjoyed by teens and older adults. Naruto's closer to the traditional "comic book" as well, in that tends more toward humor and silliness.

Bleach, on the other hand, really isn't particularly readable or watchable by a younger group. It requires more thought at times and it's much more dramatic. The characters are more mature so they don't resonate as much with a younger crowd. It's further from what people think of as a "comic book" by far.

Personally, I think anime and manga will continue to grow in popularity and potentially could become truly "mainstream" but if it's going to happen, we're going to have to wait for it. It would be years down the line. The old notion of what a "comic book" and what "cartoons" are needs to be diminished and ultimately earsed first. (So support the industry! Buy manga, buy anime, and indoctrinate anyone you can!)
RJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Anyway, Naruto's going to do better in sales solely because it can be enjoyed by a larger audience. It's light enough on violence and drama to be bought by kids and it's just adult enough to be enjoyed by teens and older adults. Naruto's closer to the traditional "comic book" as well, in that tends more toward humor and silliness.

Bleach, on the other hand, really isn't particularly readable or watchable by a younger group. It requires more thought at times and it's much more dramatic. The characters are more mature so they don't resonate as much with a younger crowd. It's further from what people think of as a "comic book" by far.

I agree in regards to Naruto. It has a platoon of characters, drama, and violence. Bleach on the other hand, in my opinion, doesn't seem to venture into new grounds as an adventure anime/manga.

Is it a "maturity" issue? In my experience its been the otherway around actually. I haven't seen as many mature Bleach fans as Naruto fans. Mature males espicially.

Maybe I'm just hanging out in the wrong places...
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:11 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Naruto's popularity will last once the english dub hits the Infinite Filler black hole, though? At least Bleach's filler has so far been confined to a single story arc, thus giving the illusion of plot advancement...
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:21 am Reply with quote
I've bought the first 6 volumes of naruto.

I've bought the first 3 volumes of Bleach. - For someone else as a gift.

So the reason Bleach is sagging? I'm not doing my part. Sorry Bleach.

(of course the artical seems to only be talking about the first volume of both series, so in that sense my logic doesn't work...)

Also, isn't falling 48ish% short of naruto numbers still pretty good business? I mean Viz can't be too disappointed.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Older adults enjoy Naruto? Then what of the "young adult demographic" I keep hearing about who constitute a large portion of Naruto's market?

Additionally, how is humour/silliness a trademark of "comic books" in the Western sense? Many Western comics are farily devoid of humour except in cases of dry wit/sarcasm.

Richard J. wrote:

What? Bleach is far simpler than Naruto in terms of plot, there's less emotional dynamicism and the characters are exceedingly bland and simple. The show is totally defined by its endless and ill-concieved fights, which are FAR more appealing (if more controversial) to a young audience. Bleach is on [adult swim] because the 18-25 male demographic loves blood & gore, which Bleach has a whole lot of.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
It's all lies anyway, you hear me?! Wink
http://www.animenewsservice.com/archives/andis.htm
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3