• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Sega Visions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I'm flabbergasted that a company actually listened to people's feedback. If only CAPCOM could do that and re-release the Gyakuten Saiban series with a more proper translation. I suppose anythings possible.
I really didn't mind the whitewashing (and in my opinion the translated dialogue is excellent and consistent) but with the newer game's setting in mind, I'm glad that it's not the case this time around. That Awkward Zombie strip comes to mind...

Stuart Smith wrote:
As for Sonic Boom, I had my doubts the minute I saw the redesigns which has Knuckles looking like a steroid abuser. It also raised some flags when I saw that in Japan it was being marketed as Sonic Toon, and emphasizing it was a US take on the franchise, much like Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was called Final Fantasy USA in Japan. That's generally not a good sign when they have to preemptively do damage control by shifting the blame.
I wouldn't consider it damage control, how did they know Sonic Boom would turn out horrible? I say this labeling is due to Japan's ignorance towards other cultures. Luckily in this case, ignorance paid off.

DKL wrote:
I got it digital using eShop monies I accumulated from that deluxe promotion Nintendo was running, so this isn't an option <_<

Not that money is an issue, but I'm fairly disappointed by the sudden lax quality.
Ouch, sorry to hear that. At least you learned for next time.
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who caught the reference to Elisabet Vogler?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
As someone who grew up with a Genesis & DC (my family went PS1 instead of Saturn), I really enjoyed Todd's retrospective on Sega. I also appreciated the acknowledgement that the SNES didn't take the lead until the mid-90s in North America, as many people like to perpetuate the false idea that the SNES was #1 from the get-go. The truth is that the Genesis took the lead every year from 91-95. It wasn't until after that point that SNES took the lead & eventually sold more overall. Part of the reason was because of games like Donkey Kong Country that really pushed the SNES hardware, but the other reason was also a big one: Promotion.

Really, the biggest problem with Sega as a hardware manufacturer was that the company was always at odds with itself because it never had a truly worldwide success story. The Master System/Mark III was a bomb in Japan & was mainly screwed over by Nintendo's draconian licensing control (which was essentially "make games for us & only us, or don't make games for us at all"), though it was successful in Europe & South America, but the Genesis/Mega Drive was a hit in North America (& Europe). Unfortunately, the MD was only 3rd place in Japan, so Sega of Japan obviously wanted to get to the next system as soon as possible, while trying to help the Genesis/MD with add-ons. When the Saturn was ready to go in 1995 SoJ essentially cut off all promotion for its predecessor, and Sega of America could only do so much on their own; they were kind of forced to treat the Genesis as an annoyance that wouldn't go away. It's kind of amazing that it even lasted until 1998 in North America, honestly.

Interestingly enough, though, the reverse would happen a few years later. The Saturn was a big success in Japan, rivaling the PS1 pretty well, but was a bomb in North America (& Europe). Pretty much doing the same thing that happened to them, SoA (read: Bernie Stolar) wanted the next system out as soon as possible, and when the Dreamcast was ready to go SoA killed almost all promotion for the Saturn. SoJ was more or less forced to launch the Dreamcast in 1998, while still promoting a successful Saturn, while lead to it failing pretty hard. In comparison, SoA pushed the Dreamcast like crazy & ended up breaking the record for most successful entertainment product launch at the time.

That's what I feel killed Sega's hardware sector. SoJ & SoA were always at odds with each other, and there are plenty of other examples of such animosity (just look at Sonic X-Treme's history), and that inability to work together was going to hurt any console the company built. Imagine if Sega as a whole still supported the Genesis/MD after the Saturn came out, like how Nintendo still was pro-SNES while the N64 was out. I won't say that the "winner" would have been different (personally, I call the "16-bit War" as an overall draw), but the final sales tally would have likely been closer & more late-era Genesis games would likely be celebrated now.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I am and will always be a Sega fan. I just had way too many countless hours of enjoyment with all their different properties to be anything else. I was a Sonic addict.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I've heard too many bad things about Sonic Boom. Looks like I won't be getting it.

Oh well, back to the Mega Drive, play some Sonic 1 & 2 and hunt down a copy of Sonic 3 later on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
A bit sad to hear that Sonic Boom didn't turnout to be as much of a success as I thought it would. It seems that the drastic changes to the Starring Four's appearances and personalities was simply too overwhelming for some. Plus, I hear that someone here has brought up glitch issues with the title?
LuScr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sega's first major foray into consoles was troubled: the SG-1000 and its Mark II successor flopped in Japan, and their replacement, the Mark III, was exported as the Sega Master System in 1986. It was no match for Nintendo's NES, which reigned over America's home-console market like no system ever would again, and the Master System rapidly became the province of rich kids who could afford a second game console besides the NES, oddball kids who had a thing for Phantasy Star or Alex Kidd, or unlucky kids whose parents couldn't or didn't care to tell Sega and Nintendo apart.

As someone from the Master System era, I want to add one comment here.

The biggest reason for the lopsided dominance of the NES vs the SMS, at least in the US, was Nintendo's incredibly abusive third-party licensing policies. If other companies wanted to make games for the NES, they were required to make those games NES exclusives (and though I can't recall clearly, they may have required that those companies not make any games for other consoles). This left Sega as essentially the only company making games for the Master System, and the lopsided library differential led to the wipeout.

That policy was finally thrown out (in court, I believe, though again I can't recall for certain) around the time that the Genesis was released. Suddenly Sega had a real game library for the first time in the US, and that, along with the Genesis' head start on the SNES, allowed it to be competitive.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Hit Maker: As someone who has played a little of their library, I can honestly say they're not really great at making hit games, despite the company's name. I completed Dragoneer's Aria and played a little of Blade Dancer. As far as their ideas go, Hit Maker's biggest problem was trying to cram a few too many systems into one game and it generally ends up a mess. When I finally finished Aria, I looked at my in-game time and it said 500:00. Five hundred hours!? The only other RPG I had ever spent that long on was Legend of Mana, but at least it was intentional. I realized most of those hours came from the slow pace of the battles; animations play out at an average pace in the game.

The same can be said of Blade Dancer, which also had the added annoyance of breakable weapons and limited inventory space. However, Blade Dancer did have some unique things going for its battle system, like the fact everything is in real time and both your party & the enemies draw from the same pool of energy for special moves & spells (basically you have to quickly get to the menu of the character whose ability you want to use before the enemy uses one of their own; if you don't make it in time, they use up the energy in the Lunar Gauge and you're left with no way to cast a spell). Some might see this as really bad game design, but at least Hit Maker gets points for being creative. Instead of just being able to spam your best ultra powerful group move, you're in a race against the enemy to make sure you can use it before they use their own high-powered attack. This alone adds a little spice to the often tried and true JRPG battle system of old.

That said, I don't fault Hit Maker for at least trying to come up with decent titles. Dragoneer's Aria had an interesting story (a game about protecting dragons can't be all bad, though you don't really end up saving any of them in the end plus the ending is vaguely unfulfilling in terms of "saving the world") and the guard concept in battles borrowed a little from the Judgment Ring of Shadow Hearts fame. It is theoretically possible to block all damage 100% of the time no matter how strong the enemy is. Of course if all four characters just defend every round, the battle would never be over. But again, the idea is creative. However, Aria's biggest problem was having far too many things to level up: dragon orbs, spell orbs, guarding skill, each character's unique special skill. Trying to keep track of all that would probably drive even the most elite RPG enthusiast crazy.

I have not played either A Witch's Tale or Last Rebellion, but I heard neither did too well, as everyone already knows. WT suffered from an annoying random encounter rate with enemies that had far too much HP for their own good, and had little else going for it. Last Rebellion had an incredibly dull presentation (world, characters, plot), but its battle system was their most creative effort with the idea of successfully "stamping" different parts of an enemy's body to increase damage and "sealing" enemies away so they don't revive after you decimate them. Unfortunately though, it looks like the battle system was the only place Hit Maker chose to concentrate most of their effort on Last Rebellion because nothing else about the game is really that remarkable.

It's truly sad when a company has to declare bankruptcy, but I can admit Hit Maker was going nowhere with their releases. I know they were trying to improve, but when you release one game after another that continues to disappoint both buyers and publishers, it's hard to bounce back.

The Sega Sector

Quote:
The new Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is a glitch-plagued monstrosity that apparently drove its developer's staff to leave before the game even debuted.

What, really? That's not a good sign. Is it Sonic 2006 all over again, or even worse than that?

I can admit I've never been one of the Sega kids. I was more Nintendo for a long time, until the PlayStation made its debut. That being said, however, I played Genesis games at my friends' houses throughout my childhood, and did like what I tried. From Sonic 1 to Sonic & Knuckles, they're all great games in their own right (though I never finished any of them sadly) and I did try a few others on the console too.

As I mentioned previously, I do happen to still own a Saturn, though it wasn't till after Sega's departure from the console market that I purchased one from off of eBay so I could try Albert Odyssey Legend of Eldean (a wonderful JRPG localized by those wacky and awesome folks from Working Designs). I've been meaning to get other games for it, but they've been hard to acquire due to some rather high prices brought on by their rarity. Sadly I missed my chance with the Dreamcast, even though stuff like Sonic Adventure is downloadable these days.

If another mega crossover like Project X Zone happens again, Sega can probably be content to let Monolith Soft borrow even more of their many characters to raise everyone's nostalgia meters (Phantasy Star and Shining Force characters would likely do the trick and maybe Sonic just to shut the whiny "Why wasn't Sonic in Project X Zone!?" idiots up).

Quote:
A few deluded souls await Sega's return to making game consoles, but most of the faithful know that Sega's ship sank with the Dreamcast

Truly a shame they can't accept this and move on with the rest of us. When a developer says they're done, it means they're done. There are no maybes about it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Sega Cd and Saturn have some awesome games like PDS, Albert's Odyssey, Shining Force, Popful Mail, Rayknight etc.

Even the dreamcast had a pretty stellar library all things given, but it is what it is.
Drac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
From what I've read the story behind Saturn's Sonic X-treme is far more interesting then the actual game itself. The problems between Sega of America and Sega of Japan is just bonkers and I'm surprised they got anything done.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was no match for Nintendo's NES, which reigned over America's home-console market like no system ever would again.

I'm pretty sure the Wii outsold the NES. Unless you mean sheer market share, in which yes, it'll never happen again as Nintendo was called out as a monopoly and forced to get rid of most of its anti-competitive policies, and thus such a monopoly will be impossible for the foreseeable future because it'll be illegal.

Quote:
A few deluded souls await Sega's return to making game consoles, but most of the faithful know that Sega's ship sank with the Dreamcast

As a Sonic fan, I have stared into the abyss of the Sonic fandom many times, and there is an extremely loud (though not incredibly close unless you're a Sonic fan) minority who wants the SEGA vs. Nintendo console wars to be reignited. These are the people who either want Nintendo demoted to a 3rd party company so they can fight on even terms, want SEGA to start producing consoles again so, again, they can fight on even terms (not sure where Sony and Microsoft stand in this), or want Nintendo out of business completely as revenge. These are also the people who complained something fierce when Sonic was announced for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. They took it as an insult that Sonic is a guest character in a lineup celebrating Nintendo and the final nail in the coffin that SEGA and Nintendo are friends (which is the worst possible outcome for them).

In other words, these are people who have not forgiven Nintendo for continuing to stay in business as a game console maker with lots of solid, well-liked hits where SEGA continues to languish with a stigma of mediocrity. They particularly disliked the Nintendo exclusivity deal, needless to say.

ParaChomp wrote:
I read somewhere that a certain video game company could still stay a float due to the incomes made by pachinko machines. I forgot who it was though, my gut's telling me Namco Bandai or Sega.

Definitely SEGA. The company remains a powerhouse in the Japanese arcade scene, and even in the United States it has cornered the non-arcade redemption machine market with Key Master, Barber Cut, and plain old classic claw machines.

And yes, SEGA does make pachinko. It's one of the major pachinko manufacturers.

EricJ2 wrote:
Nintendos were whiny and defensive, Segas were aggressive and combative, and 3DO's were cool hipsters in control...Apparently. Rolling Eyes
Sega-ites felt they were the smarter, more intelligent gamers than the Mario-bouncers, not sure how we got the "aggressive" image--Too many scrolling beat-em-up games on Genesis?

Was this a time when people actually LIKED being called a hipster?

No doubt the aggressive image was due to the aggressive marketing campaign with its constant attacks on Nintendo. As a SEGA fan during that time myself, I can say it rubbed off on other people who chose the Genesis over the Super Nintendo: At my school, the Genesis kids picked on the Super Nintendo kids, teasing them mercilessly. The Nintendo fans soon learned just to stay quiet and avoid any discussions on video games, and they got their due when the consoles moved to the 5th generation.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
A bit sad to hear that Sonic Boom didn't turnout to be as much of a success as I thought it would. It seems that the drastic changes to the Starring Four's appearances and personalities was simply too overwhelming for some. Plus, I hear that someone here has brought up glitch issues with the title?

It's not the character designs; that's the tip of the iceberg and the first thing Sonic fans took alarm in.

Rise of Lyric had problems regarding stage design (stages are pretty empty, and platforming and fighting are extremely segregated), a largely connect-the-dots story where events lead to seemingly unrelated events, graphics not at a level present in the demos or pre-release screenshots, a lack of publicity, and a glitch involving Knuckles that lets him do infinite jumps and skip most of the game.

The biggest thing that did this project in, however, was that the producer of the game, Stephen Frost, thought it would be a good idea to open up discussion for constructive criticism, not realizing Sonic fans aren't really that good at constructive criticism. He instead got so many nasty comments and death threats that he had to leave the Internet to recuperate.

When your producer gets a breakdown, your project is going to be on shaky ground.

And for those of you who don't want to click the link, this is what Frost had to say:

Stephen Frost wrote:
Guys, I’m sorry to have to say this, but I think I’m just gonna go quiet and not post for a while. Early on, I made myself a promise to interact more with the fans out there and I thought that forums would be a good way to do this. I could share info and have conservations with some cool and interesting folks, so many of which have supported Sonic for a long time. However, this project took a lot out of me and it seems like I don’t have the energy right now to deal with the back and forth arguments that seem to constantly appear in threads, as well as how aspects of things I post don’t quite get received like I intended them to. I also see several people who appear to have the singular goal of bringing discussions down or just have what appears to be some sort of vandetta against the IP, in general. And this just paints a very negative experience overall, at least in my humble opinion. Basically, I thought this was going to be fun… It has, but not as much as I thought it would be. Now, I don’t get me wrong. I have talked to some great folks that have opinions, both positive and negative, and that have been able to express those opinions in interesting and informative ways. And I love reading those types of posts. I have no problems with people having negative comments about Sonic Boom or anything Sonic at all. All comments help me to learn and get a better understanding of the fan base and there is nothing wrong with any of them. They are your opinions and you are entitled to them.

I just thought the whole idea behind forums like these was so that we can all came together to share thoughts and comments with other fans who shared the same excitement for a particular topic. Unfortunately, through my eyes, it just seems like a place where people have to constantly justify what opinions they have and where simple things can quickly spiral out of control, reducing the overall enjoyment that folks get from hanging out here. It’s unfortunate, really, but maybe that’s just my own perception.

Maybe, in a few weeks, I’ll see how I feel and come back to join you all again (if you’ll have me), but right now I’m just not feeling it. So many of us have worked so hard to try and create something that both fans can enjoy and that could introduce Sonic to a completely new audience… and I’m just tired. It’s a shame really, because I really do love meeting and talking to fans of Sega and Sonic, in general. Even in the short amount of time that I’ve been working on Sonic Boom, I’ve come across so many amazing people who have shared how Sonic has touched their lives and why they love the character so much. They have this genuine passion and excitement that I wish I could bottle. It’s amazing, and that’s why I’m so looking forward to the upcoming Sonic Boom event in NY. I want to meet each and every one of you there, so I hope you can all make it.

Regardless, to all of you that share that same passion and excitement about our blue hedgehog, I thank you for your continued support and for helping to keep Sonic constantly running forward. Even when you weren’t happy with the direction he might have headed in, you were always happy to see where he ended up.

For those still interested in asking me questions over the coming weeks, definitely feel free to send them to me on Twitter or through the message system in these forums. I will do my best to answer as many of them as I can.

See you soon?

Note that this was in August 2014; by then, some key members of the production team had already quit the project. Also note that the uglier side of the Sonic fandom really IS like this; they constantly bicker among each other, and by this point, it was clear Rise of Lyric was not going to be like the Sonic they knew and loved.

Lastly, Shattered Crystal (the 3DS one) has been better-received by critics and players alike, and I'd bet this is because they never opened up discussion the way Frost did and thus were shielded from Sonic fan vitriol.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
No doubt the aggressive image was due to the aggressive marketing campaign with its constant attacks on Nintendo. As a SEGA fan during that time myself, I can say it rubbed off on other people who chose the Genesis over the Super Nintendo: At my school, the Genesis kids picked on the Super Nintendo kids, teasing them mercilessly. The Nintendo fans soon learned just to stay quiet and avoid any discussions on video games, and they got their due when the consoles moved to the 5th generation.

That said, we admitted in private that the JP support for SNES had it all over JRPG games--
Genesis had Phantasy Star II-IV, the SegaCD had Shining Force, and they were the top of the line, but that was IT. (I hesitate to include Sword of Vermillion, as fancy as its boss monsters were.)
Nice as it was, it still wasn't the SNES's Legend of Mana, or Chrono Trigger, the Sailor Moon RPG, or (holy choir!) Final Fantasy V & VI. Sad
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

I know the character designs aren't the sole reason that Sonic Boom ended up being a colossal disaster. I've spent some time visiting Sonic Retro cruising through the last pages of the Sonic Boom thread and noticed the negative feedback that was prevalent throughout, as well as the obvious gliches that were displayed. So, yes, the folks were justifiably...dissatisfied that they were paying big money for a low-quality product.
However, I agree that the insults and death threats from some of the Sonic fanbase was definitely shameful and intolerable. Here's hoping Stephen Frost makes a recovery from the unfortunate backlash; that's something no one should ever have to go through. Sad
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised that Todd didn't like Hi-sCool! Seha Girls. Based on my avatar, I think the show is a blast. Of course, you'll like the show more if grew up playing the games and systems they reference, but the humor is lot more clever than it first appears. Seha Girls is basically Hyperdimension Neptunia done right. Also, why does Todd assume the show won't cover Burning Rangers or Panzer Dragoon? There are tons of Sega games the show could cover in later episodes or a future season. Anyway, I recommend checking out Seha Girls.

enurtsol wrote:
Ah Sega. The sports games and high-speed action games what put it on the map against Nintendo. T'was what the jocks play.

I think this is only partially true. Sure, all the annual Madden and sports games were more popular on the Genesis, but plenty of "nerds" and "geeks" back in the 90's enjoyed playing high speed action games. Otherwise, yeah, Sega always prided themselves on fast-paced arcade-style games, though they still had Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Valkyria Chronicles, etc.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
"You won't see any of the adults-only material from the game's original Japanese release, but aren't visual novel fans supposed to play for the story?"

Not for me. I'm in it for the pure, unedited experience. If a VN is an Eroge or has erotic elements, I'd rather get the whole deal than get a cut version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4