• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Street Fighter Movie in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Let it actually be about fighting this time.

That manga was always prime material for an adaptation, and it had Chun-Li in a main role.

I agree, one of the reasons the first film flopped, because instead of having it actually following the games, they made it into a cheap G.I joe Knock-off instead of actual Martial Arts , than came that American street fighter cartoon which was based on the first live action movie.

Chun li was one of my all time fav characters right up there next to Ryu and Sakura.

I'm surprised they have'nt done a live action King of Fighters Movie yet.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
These days it's hip to call the original 'Street Fighter' live action movie "bad".
Nah, Street Fighter was so bad, it was good. Kind of like Toxic Avanger. TA 2 tried way too hard at being bad, it was bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:

I agree, one of the reasons the first film flopped

Get your facts straight. The first movie wasn't a critical success but it was hardly a flop. It had an estimated budget of $35,000,000 and grossed around $100,000,000. That's hardly a flop.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd better watch the first Street Fighter movie soon to see how "bad" it was Laughing . I can agree with some earlier posters at the fact that there has been nothing at all for Guilty Gear, this would definetly make a great anime series to say the least. And I will say that I would not want Zhang Ziyi to play Chun-Li. Just wouldn't fit it for me, I feel.
xSUiT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
It's wierd that another Street Fighter live action movie will be made. I have to admitt that I thought the first one was bad but well that was a long time ago and things have changed quite a bit so well who knows, I guess I'll just wair as more info comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Proman: A live-action Street Fighter should look like that parody Jackie Chan did in the live-action City Hunter. Also, from http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=streetfighter.htm:

Domestic: $33,423,521 33.6%
+ Foreign: $66,000,000 66.4%
= Worldwide: $99,423,521
Gage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this movie a little bit but there is always that feeling that I shouldn't get worked up for nothing. For some reason, Van Damme does not seem to be a fan by many which sets this film in the shadows a little bit though I had no problem with the 1994 film.

In the movie itself kind of lie some problems. One notably is that General Bison's army has eathier quit or were killed in the explosion at Shadowlaw's base. (No, I'm not talking about Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie!)

On top of that, Sagat and DJ seem to be on an island completely separated from the others. Forgot what happened to Vega. It's been a couple years since I've taken the film out.

Also the situation regarding Bison. I'm having a hard time figuring out of he survived or died; it did seem that his body outline was lively during the final seconds before the explosion.

But oh well, guess we all should see in 2008.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Proman: A live-action Street Fighter should look like that parody Jackie Chan did in the live-action City Hunter.

I've seen it. As I recall it was good for a parody.

GATSU wrote:
Also, from http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=streetfighter.htm:

Domestic: $33,423,521 33.6%
+ Foreign: $66,000,000 66.4%
= Worldwide: $99,423,521

This is exactly what I've said. $99,423,521 is almost $100,000,000.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Proman: As a parody, it was closer to the source material than the real thing. And the point I made w/ those figures is that it still flopped here, which is where it counts.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Proman: As a parody, it was closer to the source material than the real thing. And the point I made w/ those figures is that it still flopped here, which is where it counts.

The point I'm making is that you don't have a point. It doesn't matter if the movie flopped here ("dissapointment" would be a better word) as long as it made up for it overseas. The producers don't care where the money is coming from as long as their make money.

And I've never argued that 'Street Fighter: The Movie' was faithful to the source material. Come to think of it, 'City Hunter' wasn't very close to the manga either (and not just because Jackie Chan is Chinese).
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Proman: A flop is still a flop, no matter how well a studio's able to cover it up. Also, Ryo is not necessarily Japanese, so Jackie playing him is irrelevant.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Proman: A flop is still a flop, no matter how well a studio's able to cover it up. Also, Ryo is not necessarily Japanese, so Jackie playing him is irrelevant.

What part of this movie wasn't a flop do you not understand? This is taken off of IMDb:
Quote:
Despite negative reviews the movie did make a profit. It grossed 33 million domestically and 66 million worldwide, earning almost triple its production budget of 35 million.

Not this is not exactly accurate since it doesn't take into account things like advertising costs but the bottom line is - the movie did make a profit (especially when you consider additional money it made from DVD sales and rentals).
tinlunlau

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
oh god....is GATSU who i think it is?
because if it is, he's been known for annoyance in other forums. particularly at kfccinema.com where he is known as Yan Wang.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
The movie did well, but it was not well recieved by critics. I'm guessing the major source of its income came from die hard Street Fighter fans, especially outside the US, if internationally the movie made twice what it did in the US. Gatsu seems to have been removed from the "Spammer" list.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, let's look at the word.
M-W.com wrote:

Main Entry: 3flop
Function: noun
1 : an act or sound of flopping
2 : a complete failure <the>
3 slang : a place to sleep; especially : FLOPHOUSE
4 : DUNG <cow>; also : a piece of dung

Street Fighter was a flop. It is a piece of dung. But it's not a flop becasue it made enough money to cover the budget.

Both of you are right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3