• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Carb City

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bamble

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ripping and reauthoring a Japanese disc, while it does happen occasionally, is generally the last resort for a US anime publisher. The Japanese licensor hates it: the compression of the disc is something that the Japanese publisher did, and they really should be asked permission before you reuse their work or they might get upset.

Discotek do this all the time, where applicable. They seem to have good relationships with the original licensors, although it’s anyone's guess as to whether those same licensors know their original R2 encodes are being ripped and re-used.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why do you think the American/Canadian market is hesitant to tap into said josei market

Because our women would rather buy crap like Fifty Shades of Grey or watch terrible reality shows with Kim K. and Honey Boo Boo? Rolling Eyes That, and they kind of tried to go there with that Harlequin manga, and it totally bombed, and they don't want to do it again. Plus, if you didn't support Shojo Beat, then most of you are not really serious fans to begin with. Also, I haven't read it all, but the josei I've tapped into is super depressing.

Quote:
Surely enough of us in our 20s and 30s have stuck around despite families, careers, etc.

Nope, most of you got out a long time ago.

Quote:
I do not think that having an American movie of Sailor Moon made would be a good idea.

I don't really see why not. There are Japanese elements to the show, but it's not they're Japanese-exclusive. Plus, they already kinda did the 'American Sailor Moon' thing with Buffy. Wink

Quote:
Yes, folks, Ms. Fox, like a surprising number of attractive Hollywood types, is actually an anime fan.

Well, the ones who are honest about it, anyway.

Quote:
Naoko Takeuchi is extremely protective of her creation, and she's powerful enough now to veto any proposed deal where she would lose control of the end result.

But she's fine with her show being legally unavailable here for over a decade, and being pirated. Rolling Eyes

Hoppy: It probably wouldn't, 'cus she's not a star, and they need someone who isn't pushing 30 for the characters.

walw:
Quote:
Girly girls in frills and wielding cute pink and bejeweled weapons, regardless of how ass-kicking they may be, would just never fly in Hollywood.

Um, Hit-Girl?

Fedora:
Quote:
I already expect the Power Rangers movie to look horrendous. The last Power Rangers movie they did turned their suits into some armor-looking superhero costumes,

Well, the Power Rangers stuff pretty much uses the Japanese footage, so...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And then, this new brightness problem started to crop up. Except, it's not so much an issue with brightness as it is the "gamma curve" of the image: the black parts are still perfectly black, but everything else gets much brighter than it should be.

This is just a guess, but maybe at some point someone is changing the colorspace between YCC and RGB thinking it is the same thing, when TBT, even if there are 16 million colors, there is no exact match for many colors in the other colorspace. When we add deep color and scRGB to the fray, well, you can clearly SEE how computers can help make a pretty bright mess of everything.

About the sailor moon movie, I am expecting in the near future that some studio will buy the movie rights for peanuts (we can't say SMC is the highest point of the franchise) and produce an snafu that will make Dragonball Evolution look as a disc worthy of every penny of your money.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Quote:
and those of us that do tend to be busy with jobs and kids, and don't buy as much related stuff, by and large

I figured adult bought more stuff, in general, than teenaged fans. Granted, I probably shouldn't lump "single 20-year-olds with disposable income" in with "married 30-year-olds with kids and a mortgage." I'd still say the 30-year-olds likely buy more than teenagers on average, though.

I think by "related stuff", Justin meant product tie ins and merchandise.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Megan Fox of all people name-dropping Gundam Wing is one of the weirder things I can remember.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Megan Fox of all people name-dropping Gundam Wing is one of the weirder things I can remember.

Well as I said, Megan Fox is a big anime fan, she said it in a interview on Seventeen Magazine back when she was hot in Transformers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon could be successfully made into a live action Hollywood movie, if everyone involved had the passion and love for the franchise and the money to make it great. Writers, producers, directors, and the actors.

The Lord of the Rings is proof of that.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sailor Moon could be successfully made into a live action Hollywood movie, if everyone involved had the passion and love for the franchise and the money to make it great. Writers, producers, directors, and the actors.

Lord of the Rings changed and altered a lot of stuff from the book, and it becomes an even bigger problem within The Hobbit trilogy. For the average movie goer they won't care, but that could be said about every movie adaption. For a lot of fans of the source material, it was a bit of a disappointment.

However, by the very nature that it's a Japanese property makes it a lot more problematic than an Anglo-Saxon work. It means casting choices will be obviously altered to make the characters American and white. In addition, it stars females, and America is very reluctant about that sort of thing in their media compared to Japan. In addition, Lord of the Rings' setting is alot easier to adapt than Sailor Moon's would. Middle Earth is a very standard fantasy setting, as it should because it helped imagine the genre. Sailor Moon has a lot more flare, magic, and higher fantastical elements to it that would be lost on American audiences compared to your typical generic fantasy world of elves and dwarves and soldiers.

I think it's a fallacy to compare to two, just as it would be to say since Song of Ice and Fire was made into a show, then you could make Naruto into an American television show.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I am a fan of the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, and the Silmarillion. I also agreed with the removal of the Battle of the Shire. It is the nature of the beast, when making movies. A pity the estate has locked up the rights of the Silmarillion.

I also still think it is a fair comparison. It was a major undertaking to make the Lord of the Rings. I never thought they could do it, but they did and it was a complete success.

There is no reason that anime cannot be a success, just like any other movie. It just takes effort and money.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
While inscrutable color-level issues are definitely an issue with North American releases, there are more obvious mistakes and deliberate sabotage affecting video over here. Like trying to fit 12 episodes on a single disc

But I haven't seen any screenshots documenting visual issues of 12 sub only episodes on 1 disc like I have with color level differences.

TarsTarkas wrote:

Maybe they could successfully make it into a live action movie, but would it be a successful live action movie? I'm extremely skeptical as to whether Hollywood executives would greenlight a movie about magical teenage girls running around in sailor uniforms in the first place, that isn't a comedy.

Also the LotR films omitted the Scouring of the Shire, which was the whole point of the trilogy. Granted, some of the themes were reworked into movie 2, albeit nonsensically(the forest was already being cut down before the entmoot; Rohan was already being invaded).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
While inscrutable color-level issues are definitely an issue with North American releases, there are more obvious mistakes and deliberate sabotage affecting video over here. Like trying to fit 12 episodes on a single disc

But I haven't seen any screenshots documenting visual issues of 12 sub only episodes on 1 disc like I have with color level differences.

While the screenshots seem to be broken now, UK Anime did a comparison of the UK single disc and US double-disc releases of K:
http://www.uk-anime.net/articles/Are_two_Blu-Rays_better_than_one?/1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
While the screenshots seem to be broken now, UK Anime did a comparison of the UK single disc and US double-disc releases of K:
http://www.uk-anime.net/articles/Are_two_Blu-Rays_better_than_one?/1

Good lord, someone spent a LOT of time writing about and making graphs of completely meaningless numbers.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
That first question kind of made me sad since I enjoyed Princess Jellyfish far more than I thought I would and wish we'd see more shows like that. At this point, I try to be grateful for what we do get and make sure I plunk down some money to get a copy.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
Disney was supposedly interested in doing a Sailor Moon movie in the 90s with Geena Davis producing and cast as Queen Beryl. It would've made sense since Disney owned DiC at the time and produced a live action movie of Inspector Gadget, another DiC property. There may have been legal issues with Toei and Disney probably lost interest after the mediocre success of Gadget and/or saw that Sailor Moon was struggling to get mainstream attention. But apparently it was a thing at one point and Davis supposedly even exchanged emails with a fan site saying how much of a fan she was and how she wanted to be involved with bringing the series to the big screen. Someone needs to ask her how true this all was...
I believe Naoko Takeuchi herself was asked at one point about her thoughts on the US version of Sailor Moon. She said all she knew was that a Hollywood film was in development at one point.

Lindsay Lohan was rumored for a SM live action film in 2006, but this wasn't anything more than fan rumors, and Lohan herself even acknowledged them saying that she knew nothing about such a film, other than internet babble.

I think a live action Sailor Moon film could work in the right hands. However, I could NOT picture Megan Fox as Sailor Moon. At best, I could see her as Pluto.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
A US live action Sailor Moon movie (a good one) seems pretty unlikely, especially one with Megan Fox. That said, I would like to see her dressed up as a Sailor Scout. Maybe for a Halloween costume?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4