• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri Kuma Arashi (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
Meh kinda felt empty and pointless, weird for the sake of being weird.

Maybe if it came out 20 year ago when Yuri was still edgy stuff, but now it's felt it was trying to be shocking but is so much tamer than lots of stuff coming out, like it's stuck in the 90.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
@ChibiKangaroo: You sure? I don't think I'll ever recover from this Laughing

The yuri theme is obvious. I hope that the actual story will provide enough substance for this show to be anything better than, let's say, Sakura Kiss. Judging by who made this, you'd expect something deeper than 'roar, bears and humans are now cute yuri girls, recipe for drama and then KISS'! Or spoiler[lick each other's female organs, as that is what this show seems to imply with 'the bears eating Kureha' actually being the bear girls licking the female reproductive part (pistil) of the flower.]

Add spoiler[Ave Maria] and insanity is complete. I wonder if any other weird shows have used that composition. I know Humanity has Declined used it. But that was a zany show in a different way.

Is it really fair to make a comparison storywise with Sakura Trick? The show always had a slice of life setting to it. Nothing fantasy based in that world.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Just wow. This was some edgy stuff.

I'm sorry but did I really just watch the camera slowly pan over the unconscious body of a schoolgirl, leading down to a pair of bears lovingly, seductively even, licking the honey off her flower in an obvious attempt to arouse the audience?

Nope. That's what I saw. Two sexual predators raping a little girl in an obvious attempt for titillation.

Too artsy for me. Dropped.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
@Leatherhead: The comparison only applies to both having shoujo-ai and - up until now - no substantial plot to watch this series for. Though this is only the first episode so I cannot judge on circa 23 minutes. The story and themes will probably show up soon.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
So, went into this having not watched either Utena or Penguindrum. that was bizarre. Pretty funny too. I'm gonna trust what Hope says in her write up in the winter preview about Ikuhara and the show. I'll keep watching
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Less the Utena series or Penguindrum, more like Utena the movie. Neat images and a barrage of symbolism... but no real story.

Too bad, I liked Penguindrum for its melding of actual story with symbolism but I got sick of the Utena series as it go too lost in its self-importance. This one seems to be starting off lost. The only hope I can see for it is that this was supposed to be a grabber of a super-weird first episode and the second will reset and show more semblance of a narrative.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Meh kinda felt empty and pointless, weird for the sake of being weird.

That's where I came down on this. WTF did I just watch.

Well I guess we will have to watch a few more episodes to see if they develop anything but if it is just more of this I'm going to drop it.

Have to love it that not only can girls at that school keep high powered rifles in their lockers, but when they wake up in questionable circumstances and they are potentially delusional or stress they are thoughtful enough to park it for them right next to their bed.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
There was a story? All I saw was male-oriented fanservice interspersed with terrible Shaft-like animation with a sprinkle of cute "
gao"'s thrown in for those who didn't tire of them in Air. So we have lesbian rapist bears, a poorly developed lesbian couple, a Phoenix Wright wannabe courtroom and some random girl tossed in for no apparent reason? Was she supposed to be some sort of third wheel/romantic rival for the MC? Who knows! It's symbolic! It's edgy!

No, it's terrible.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
I will restate my opinions of the first episode since it seems almost no one seems to be sharing it and instead everyone is saying that it is just random. I think you have that there is a Shaft like separation you have to do to figure out what is happening in this show. You have to separate the visuals that the symbolism is made of, and the story elements we know and what the symbolism may mean.

Firstly the visuals and thus presentation, pretty clearly this is a yuri visual anime, from this we know to expect longing forbidden relationship as we saw the female lead being in love with another girl. Very common aspects are soft colouring and lots of flowers, the lily in particular is where the word "yuri" comes from, it is a symbolism of the purity and crossing that line. Everything is also shown as extra cute.

Next the meat of the story, that is it a man eating monsters anime, where we find they can look like people, we know that there are animals eating people and through segments we get some insight into them. The two that seem to be in a relationship with each other want to eat people more than their own safety (choosing eating over invisibility). Although they look cute, there are key story elements telling us they are dangerous.

What we are seeing is a blend of these two different mediums where we see someone being eaten being played out like a yuri sexual scene with the bears feasting on the flower. And if I had to make a guess of future developments, one of the bears we are seeing that the more loner bear is going to have a forbidden relationship with the main character, both in them being different species and in both being girls. A fight over who is the hunter.

If you ask what the point of this is, well I can't say, could be that they are just trying to see what happens when they mix the two. You are looking at Parasyte if instead their heads turned into flowers or something cute ate another's flower, sounds random but you have to look at it in the proper context. Although I could be wrong if we find that no one is actually in danger, but there did not seem to be a hint of that in the episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:01 am Reply with quote
I dug it. A visual feast for the eyes and pretty funny to boot. *growl*
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I will restate my opinions of the first episode since it seems almost no one seems to be sharing it and instead everyone is saying that it is just random. I think you have that there is a Shaft like separation you have to do to figure out what is happening in this show. You have to separate the visuals that the symbolism is made of, and the story elements we know and what the symbolism may mean.

Firstly the visuals and thus presentation, pretty clearly this is a yuri visual anime, from this we know to expect longing forbidden relationship as we saw the female lead being in love with another girl. Very common aspects are soft colouring and lots of flowers, the lily in particular is where the word "yuri" comes from, it is a symbolism of the purity and crossing that line. Everything is also shown as extra cute.

Next the meat of the story, that is it a man eating monsters anime, where we find they can look like people, we know that there are animals eating people and through segments we get some insight into them. The two that seem to be in a relationship with each other want to eat people more than their own safety (choosing eating over invisibility). Although they look cute, there are key story elements telling us they are dangerous.

What we are seeing is a blend of these two different mediums where we see someone being eaten being played out like a yuri sexual scene with the bears feasting on the flower. And if I had to make a guess of future developments, one of the bears we are seeing that the more loner bear is going to have a forbidden relationship with the main character, both in them being different species and in both being girls. A fight over who is the hunter.

If you ask what the point of this is, well I can't say, could be that they are just trying to see what happens when they mix the two. You are looking at Parasyte if instead their heads turned into flowers or something cute ate another's flower, sounds random but you have to look at it in the proper context. Although I could be wrong if we find that no one is actually in danger, but there did not seem to be a hint of that in the episode.

Oh, it is pretty clearly about Yuri and "forbidden relationship" except those relationship are less and less forbidden by the day in our society and every season there 1-3 Yuri anime, with almost always one that try to push the acceptable with some sex scene. So the symbolism is kinda pointless. Yes there are lesbian who have sex with each others and yes that involves licking each others, no reason to take the roundabout way to say that. These message are neither complex nor rare, so there's just no real reason to spend 20 minute when an anime could have said so clearly in 2-3 minute (I think it was strawberry panic that did something similar before the OP even started).

Have you ever played this game where you have a box with a bunch of dice with letter on them and you then shuffle the thing and then try to find word that are spelled out? You can find a surprisingly large amount of them and it's purely random. I have the same feeling from this anime, throw in one or two obvious symbol, then put lots of really random stuff in and hope the viewer find pattern, doing your job for you.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
Eh, those claiming that the show is just throwing out weird, random images for the sake of being weird are jumping the gun. We have seen exactly 1/12 of the entire work so far. Perhaps that judgment will stand up at the end of the day, but it seems premature to make it now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Oh, it is pretty clearly about Yuri and "forbidden relationship" except those relationship are less and less forbidden by the day in our society and every season there 1-3 Yuri anime, with almost always one that try to push the acceptable with some sex scene. So the symbolism is kinda pointless.

I might bring some understanding what might constitute as "yuri anime", because I really don't think there are that many per season. I suspect you may be including the more moe side along the lines of something like K-ON.

"Yuri" literally means "lily", that is why the lily flower we see is no way, the connection to flowers is a pretty big part of what you might consider pure yuri stories. This why something like Sakura Trick assigned a flower to each girl, although general flowers are often connected female sexuality, this is why it is not uncommon that you will see flowers sprout around male cast members of a reverse harem.

There is a clear difference between yuri made for guys that has all the lusting with "hawt lesbians" that can't keep their hands off each other, and yuri that has an emphasis on purity that if you don't believe it might actually aimed at girls. Actually it kind of originated from shoujo (girl) and josei (women) works rather than for men, and it does not even mean that the female audience itself are lesbians. Such yuri rarely focus on showing actual sexing rather than using symbolism because it is about more than two girls making out, the friendship and bond is kind of more important and usually you will get designs colours more aimed towards girls.

From my opinion the design of this show is kind of done in the style aimed towards girls, this is why these girls look more like easy insert characters and not flashy. Quite unlike the three boys who are very flashy bishounen. And as I am saying, my core opinion of the show how these man eating monsters story has been kind of pulled into a clashing style that it is a little hard to understand what is happening.
ssotoleiva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
At first I had absolutely no idea what I was watching, minutes after I realised I had seen those graphics previously (considering I had no idea about the studio or the director who made this anime) and you can clearly see Ikuhara style, which tells me that I will probably not understand the plot until the episode 10 or something like that, I'm gonna keep watching just to justify this sort of 'theory' of my own (which also was applied to Mawaru Pendrum, until episode 12 I had no idea where the show was going).
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
More than one person has brought up a Shaft-style comparison so far, but...I always thought the Shinbo/Shaft style was directly influenced by Utena. So it's just Ikuhara doing Ikuhara.

Anyway, first episode did not disappoint at all. Like his other work, there's just so much to unpack already. With the connection to the Sankebetsu bear incident and the visual references to horror movies, I'm really intrigued to see where it's all going. It's a shame so many seem to be getting hung up on "omg such a random yuri show."

I was kinda hoping for a Zettai Unmei/Rock Over Japan equivalent, but alas. That OP song is killer, though. Gao gao.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8