• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Holiday Hustle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Is it REALLY that hard to grasp the theory that Disney may no longer have the rights to some of Ghibli's own provided sub translations, and is "stuck" having to use their own in-house ones?
When even Justin is saying "Gee, I don't know why they'd do it, maybe they like dubtitles... Confused ", it's starting to become an epidemic.

I'm pretty sure it's just a case of Disney not caring or not thinking people would care.

EricJ2 wrote:
Disney may have bought Marvel and Star Wars outright, and have free reign to do any marketing they want with them at any time, but the rights to Ghibli are a bit trickier, and much of Princess Mononoke, for one, is still tripped up by legal gray areas.

No it's not. Disney has always had the license to Princess Mononoke, just like the other Ghibli films they have, but it was simply marketed under the Miramax label when it first came out (Disney owned Miramax), much like The Wind Rises was given to Disney's Touchstone Pictures label. When Miramax went under, the film stayed with Disney, unlike the films developed independently under Miramax, which became the properties of an investment group. Miramax and the Weinsteins didn't have the rights to Princess Mononoke like they did Bridget Jones' Diary, Shakespeare in Love, The Crow, or Scream.

Hoppy800 wrote:
It's sad that movie studios haven't caught onto portable DVD players and even portable BD players. Movies have been portable since DVDs became mainstream. I also did a Google search and portable VCRs exist, I don't think they caught on as much

You can still play DVDs on your laptop (my MacBook Pro plays them just fine), as well as Blu-rays if you hook up a Blu-ray drive and download Blu-ray player software. You can also find independent DVD/BD players.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I think what Edgar wants is a "legit" form of horriblesubs and other rip groups (sites that just pull content from CR, Hulu and FUNi and put torrents for download.) and who knows he may be storing his anime in SSD's which has almost none of the downsides of HDD failures. I mean, buying 500GB SSD's en masse isn't outside the realm of possibilities anymore.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
About all of Right Stuf's old Geneon/ADV: It's simply the matter of fact that these two companies both fell into bad habits of printing a lot of titles that had very little interest, therefore all the leftover stock.

For example, Right Stuf still has two singles and two complete series bundles of Moeyo Ken in stock from ADV. No one wants to watch Moeyo Ken. However, I'm tempted to almost buy it out of sympathy for the fact that Right Stuf's been trying to get rid of it for almost 8 years.

(Risky Safety appears to be the current record holder in the Bargain Bin; it has 85 copies left of its first disc that came out eleven and a half years ago.)

Not to mention all those soundtracks they have left over from back when anime soundtracks were actually released on CD...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
victor viper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
...Even for some unpopular, marginal series -- I never thought disc 3 of Angel Tales would be going for $121.00.

I guess I should have bought the copy I found a few months ago on Amazon that was selling for "only" $30. It's not a particularly good show, but only having volumes 1,2, and 4 kind of bugs me sometimes...

I'm guessing they'd never divulge that information in a million years, but I'd love to see what ($ per disc) Rightstuf actually paid for those mountains of Geneon/ADV discs in their bargain bin. If they can sell that stuff at a profit at $3-4 a disc, after factoring in the cost of some free shipping and warehousing all that stuff, I can only begin to guess what they paid.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Sometimes it's not so predictable, though. I recently spent an evening looking up prices for my old/out-of-print ADV/Geneon/CPM/Bandai discs, and often found that most of the volumes would be available in Rightstuf's Bargain Bin, or for pennies (+$3.99 S&H!) on Amazon Marketplace. But there'd often be one or two random volumes not on RS and selling for far more on Amazon, and it was frequently like volumes 2 and 5, not always discs at the end of the series. Even for some unpopular, marginal series -- I never thought disc 3 of Angel Tales would be going for $121.00.
That volume of Angel Tales going for as much as it does is possibly due to Amazon implementing new rules for sellers trying to sell DVD's that are above $25 MSRP. Last month they implemented a rule where you had to get approved in order to sell DVD's with an MSRP of above $25. TONS of listings had nearly all of their sellers removed, or removed completely, also causing the remaining ones (Sometimes the only seller) to raise their prices. This is why there's no one selling say When They Cry's box sets on the Amazon Marketplace right now because none of them got approved (And the approval process isn't easy for small sellers, you need multiple recent invoices from wholesalers of a certain amount). It's also why say the artbox for Melody of Oblivion went from being like $10 from a ton of sellers to $50 from only one.

Anyway it's actually rather nice for certain collectors now that these older releases got overprinted and can be had for cheap. It's to my benefit as I'm searching out some of these older releases as I find them significantly nicer in terms of packaging and physical extras than the releases of today. Like I recently got the remaining singles I needed to fill up my Suzuka artbox for cheap. It's much, much nicer than the S.A.V.E. edition I already had.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Disney has always had the license to Princess Mononoke...

None of this is true at all. Disney had to renegotiate and relicense all of the Ghibli films. That's how GKids got theatrical rights out of nowhere.

noigeL wrote:
Ponyo is NOT dubtitled. The BD includes a faithful subtitle track for the Japanese audio that can be accessed from the menu.

Oops, I don't have this disc (because I don't like Ponyo) and was referencing ANN's recently published review, which appears to have an error. Fixing. Thanks.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Disney has always had the license to Princess Mononoke...

None of this is true at all. Disney had to renegotiate and relicense all of the Ghibli films. That's how GKids got theatrical rights out of nowhere.

Also, disk rights to Mononoke's original Japanese version were never included in the original 90's deal (because Toho didn't want competing US DVD versions when Japan didn't have their own yet), and had to be painfully hammered out later, and then only after ignorant public fan-outcry.
Y'know, like, why was Disney so "mean", "clueless" and "lazy" as to not include the JP soundtrack? Wink

Disney had disk rights to the existing films before '99, and had their money invested in the films after '01's Spirited, but a few things fell in between the cracks while the deal was just getting started.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
The Cat Returns - No US Blu-ray release is scheduled (yet). Japanese disc has faithful subtitles and the Disney dub.

Don't forget that the Japanese Blu-ray (like their DVD before) also includes Ghiblis episode 2, which has English subtitles. Watching the three coworkers go through their bowls of curry was a lot of fun. The other parts were ... less fun, but still fairly interesting.

Cat Returns isn't high on my Ghibli list, so I almost passed on the BD release, but I wanted HD curry. ^_^
Theozilla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
He forgot to mention Ocean Waves which only has Japanese and UK DVD releases.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Theozilla wrote:

If you're just talking about English language releases, it was also released in Australia. It has been released on DVD in several other countries as well, but not necessarily with English subtitles.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
I was the one that asked that question, and they definitely did. I've skimmed Rightstuf's bargain bin multiple times in the past and it's just absurd at times how much stuff they have left.

*and bunch of other thing that I've already got*

Oh well, that question was very interesting. And thanks for submitting that question. Smile
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Sometimes it's not so predictable, though. I recently spent an evening looking up prices for my old/out-of-print ADV/Geneon/CPM/Bandai discs, and often found that most of the volumes would be available in Rightstuf's Bargain Bin, or for pennies (+$3.99 S&H!) on Amazon Marketplace. But there'd often be one or two random volumes not on RS and selling for far more on Amazon, and it was frequently like volumes 2 and 5, not always discs at the end of the series. Even for some unpopular, marginal series -- I never thought disc 3 of Angel Tales would be going for $121.00.
That volume of Angel Tales going for as much as it does is possibly due to Amazon implementing new rules for sellers trying to sell DVD's that are above $25 MSRP. Last month they implemented a rule where you had to get approved in order to sell DVD's with an MSRP of above $25. TONS of listings had nearly all of their sellers removed, or removed completely, also causing the remaining ones (Sometimes the only seller) to raise their prices. This is why there's no one selling say When They Cry's box sets on the Amazon Marketplace right now because none of them got approved (And the approval process isn't easy for small sellers, you need multiple recent invoices from wholesalers of a certain amount). It's also why say the artbox for Melody of Oblivion went from being like $10 from a ton of sellers to $50 from only one.

Thanks for letting me know about that. That's the most interesting/horrible thing I've heard in a long time.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Theozilla wrote:

If you're just talking about English language releases, it was also released in Australia. It has been released on DVD in several other countries as well, but not necessarily with English subtitles.

That is the one release I don't think there was ever an explanation given for, it not being released I mean.

Only Yesterday was not brought to the US because of the mention of menstruation, which is ridiculous (ever see the 1930's/40's short cartoon The Story of Menstruation?) considering if it was that much of a big deal, they could easily just dub a different line in or something.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
About all of Right Stuf's old Geneon/ADV: It's simply the matter of fact that these two companies both fell into bad habits of printing a lot of titles that had very little interest, therefore all the leftover stock.

For example, Right Stuf still has two singles and two complete series bundles of Moeyo Ken in stock from ADV. No one wants to watch Moeyo Ken. However, I'm tempted to almost buy it out of sympathy for the fact that Right Stuf's been trying to get rid of it for almost 8 years.

(Risky Safety appears to be the current record holder in the Bargain Bin; it has 85 copies left of its first disc that came out eleven and a half years ago.)

Not to mention all those soundtracks they have left over from back when anime soundtracks were actually released on CD...

I've always been keeping an eye out for the anime CDs since they seem to all go on sale every year at some point in the Christmas sale. ^^

For anyone interested in Key or KOTOKO, you should seriously pick this album up - it's a 100% vocal best album from Please Teacher! and every single song is worth listening to. It's only $1.99 too, so you might want to get it while it's in stock:
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/pHVTdjd2B1ACNtDz-9/browse/item/72020/4/0/0

Last edited by FlamingFirewire on Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I think what Edgar wants is a "legit" form of horriblesubs and other rip groups (sites that just pull content from CR, Hulu and FUNi and put torrents for download.) and who knows he may be storing his anime in SSD's which has almost none of the downsides of HDD failures. I mean, buying 500GB SSD's en masse isn't outside the realm of possibilities anymore.

In terms of long term storage, I'm much more concerned about the plastic and vinyl of the cases damaging the artwork over time than anything else. Some of those materials gradually decompose into other chemicals, given enough time (and heat). The only CD/DVD data losses I've ever suffered have come from damaged spindles or cases scratching the disk, making it unplayable. I switched all my CDs and most of my DVDs to floppy 3-ring binders a while ago, and I'm slowly stripping the original cases of their artwork and putting it into files. (Which should probably be acid-free, but I've got a few years before I need to worry about that.)

I have an interest in long-term storage because my experience has been that my tastes are pretty stable - I add new genres and experiences, but most of what I bought, I still really enjoy. There's some evidence that I'll still be around in another 50 years or so, and it would be nice to flip through my favorites when I'm an old man. I mean, I still like Robotech, and that's been, what, 30 years?

HDDs are not long-term storage. I will admit to freely ripping copies of things I own for the convenience factor of watching on an ipad, doing screenshots, or saving short clips for analysis. (Okay, that's a thought fragment right here. I have no idea what I was getting at. Sorry.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5