• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, December 8-14

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calculus20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
passer by wrote:
They shipped 30k total copies, and were sold out in a matter of moments on day one, at first they only planned to shipped 10k total copies. It's a success, and they'll re-stock on December 17~19.

Do you have source on that info? Amazon is showing it as in stock and no shipping delay, and if it's sold out in a matter of moments, then surely Amazon would be out of stock as well.

This article: http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-28702.html
mentions it was out of stock temporarily and expects its second shipment to be sent out on 12/19. So I think it's safe to assume we'll see a lot more copies added to the current total next week.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

[*] I am Japanese and I'm very interested in this topic because these products are all famous in Japan recentry. Especally "Frozen" and "Yo-Kai Watch". "Yo-Kai Watch" is the animation which famous especially durling children. It has cute song and we can dance easly. When I heard this song at first time, it stayed my mind whole day!!! I couldn't forget!!! I had sung all day at that time. And "Frozen" is famous all of ages. In Japan, the song "Let it go" which is sung in this movie is coverd by many great singers in Japanese!! This is very rera in our country. I think the song has very simple melody and we can remember easly. That's why "Frozen" is hit all over the world I think. [/i] [/list]

Basically Japan is like the rest of the world and wants something nice, simple, and easy to understand with a catchy theme song to take with them as they're leaving the theaters. Honestly better something like that with a positive message and themes compared to some of the other stuff they're embracing of late. It also helps that characters like Elsa are incredibly marketable and approachable to Japanese audiences and cross cultural boundaries as if they didn't exist. Heck she even seem like the kind of character they would come up with in terms of traits, personality, backstory and arc. I mean tragic lonely ice princesses literal or not are kind of all the rage right now, I mean just look at the story of the movie and tell me that's not something that feels like it could be in a visual novel as well.

Calculus20 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
passer by wrote:
They shipped 30k total copies, and were sold out in a matter of moments on day one, at first they only planned to shipped 10k total copies. It's a success, and they'll re-stock on December 17~19.

Do you have source on that info? Amazon is showing it as in stock and no shipping delay, and if it's sold out in a matter of moments, then surely Amazon would be out of stock as well.

This article: http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-28702.html
mentions it was out of stock temporarily and expects its second shipment to be sent out on 12/19. So I think it's safe to assume we'll see a lot more copies added to the current total next week.

If you're talking about that added version with the poster as compensation for the delay then yeah I knew about that one, but wasn't it only estimated at about 2,000 copies by the time it started dropping off? I might be wrong too but it also seems to have a very heavy Amazon bias as well with the estimate for the first shipment of the Limited edition disc being 40K with it only selling about 28 or so in the first week. I guess we'll see, with it still being number 1 on Amazon I'd expect at least another 10-15K at least added by next week if everything people say about stock shortages is the case.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Kaguya isn't selling well because everyone in Japan already KNOWS the story. Up until now with the exception ofGrave of the Fireflies, the Ghibli movies adapted books not that well known to Japan. I'm Romanian, and I sure as hell wouldn't go see a movie about one of our folk tales.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Basically Japan is like the rest of the world and wants something nice, simple, and easy to understand with a catchy theme song to take with them as they're leaving the theaters.

You can do without the catchy theme song, look at Avatar (by James Cameron).
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Maybe Kaguya isn't selling well because everyone in Japan already KNOWS the story. Up until now with the exception ofGrave of the Fireflies, the Ghibli movies adapted books not that well known to Japan. I'm Romanian, and I sure as hell wouldn't go see a movie about one of our folk tales.

It's possible, it's like the Tale of Genji, everyone just kind of knows the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter by now. It's been adapted many times before.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen Kaguya, but the art style seems to alienate crowds, but it's still winning awards all over the world, so at least it has that going for it.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised EFP is so high, I was expecting it to be ignored. I kind of want to watch it, but Aniplex.... Although I'm really happy to see Strike Witches at number 2. Now I need to find a way to watch it.
passer by

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
passer by wrote:

Yes, they sold out in stores, mainly in Akihabara, and they only shipped 30k copies.

Even in Japan, a lot of people don't have internet access at home.

Source:
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-28744.html

English:
http://seventhstyle.com/2014/12/09/expelled-from-paradise-sells-every-copy/

http://waku2japan.com/archives/6847

Edit:
Calculus20 beat me to it
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Is it just me or is The Tale of the Princess Kaguya selling rather poorly?

Yes. And it's a damn shame I tell you. I may be a fan of Japanese animation, but I can see that my own personal tastes clearly don't match up with the general population of the country. They may make good animation, but that doesn't mean their audience is any better than in the US. I think it really says something when even US critics are praising the film and giving it more attention than Japan. I mean, it's getting not only nominated but also winning a lot of critics awards (you know, the actually reliable ones, not referring to the Oscars). In Japan it lost the Japan Academy Award to The Wind Rises, which is fine by me, but I preferred Kaguya, and Takahata always gets shafted. Makes me wonder if being released another year as Ghibli's only film would've helped it win the award, or if they would have ignored it either way.

But I'm glad that I wasted money on a copy of the Blu-ray and soundtrack CD. Makes me feel like I helped out, if even just a tiny bit. Hopefully it receives a best animated picture nom at this year's Oscars. Not because I take them seriously, but because it would hopefully be good publicity for the film so more people would watch it.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Hey, that's actually a good point. I never thought about it that way before. I was more or less unfamiliar with the story before seeing the movie ( so the ending was really surprising for me) so I guess it didn't apply to me. But you're right, this is like the oldest and most told tale in Japan, and it's been adapted numerous times. Takahata has even said that he'd been wanting to make an adaption for like 40 years. I suppose it wasn't possible for him to achieve his complete vision with the limited technology back then, so everyone else went and made their own interpretations. So regardless of how great of a director he is, or how unique and simply great his adaption was, most Japanese may have just not given it a chance at all. What a true shame. You know I used to think that the Japanese in general were more accepting than others when it came to this stuff, but I suppose not.

@Agent355: Well it seems like all of the critics seem to love it. I thought it was extremely expressive and pretty. Especially when characters got really emotional, the way they animated those scenes was so realistic! I mean, even with the simple designs of the characters, they managed to convey so such raw emotion. It was amazing. It made ME want to cry. And I did. Multiple times.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Is it just me or is The Tale of the Princess Kaguya selling rather poorly?

Yes. And it's a damn shame I tell you. I may be a fan of Japanese animation, but I can see that my own personal tastes clearly don't match up with the general population of the country. They may make good animation, but that doesn't mean their audience is any better than in the US. I think it really says something when even US critics are praising the film and giving it more attention than Japan. I mean, it's getting not only nominated but also winning a lot of critics awards (you know, the actually reliable ones, not referring to the Oscars). In Japan it lost the Japan Academy Award to The Wind Rises, which is fine by me, but I preferred Kaguya, and Takahata always gets shafted. Makes me wonder if being released another year as Ghibli's only film would've helped it win the award, or if they would have ignored it either way.

But I'm glad that I wasted money on a copy of the Blu-ray and soundtrack CD. Makes me feel like I helped out, if even just a tiny bit. Hopefully it receives a best animated picture nom at this year's Oscars. Not because I take them seriously, but because it would hopefully be good publicity for the film so more people would watch it.

It says a lot to me when something that looks like Expelled From Paradise sells significantly more than something that looks like Kaguya and gets far more general attention at that. I think it really is just kind of the end of an era for anime, like there's not much else to be said for where it's at right now really and what is valued versus what isn't other than the bit you pointed out about how they seem to be no better than the rest of the world.

Quote:
Yes, they sold out in stores, mainly in Akihabara, and they only shipped 30k copies.

Source:

English:

Edit:
Calculus20 beat me to it

Like a reliable source and not just sensationalist blogs all based off of the Yaraon original with a couple of pictures of some stores.
passer by

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:53 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Quote:

Source:

English:

Edit:
Calculus20 beat me to it

Like a reliable source and not just sensationalist blogs all based off of the Yaraon original with a couple of pictures of some stores.

What "source" did you want?

It was sold out in stores on day one.

That topic on yaraon is reliable, they're there in Japan, people can't buy anything on day one, some people I know, and some MAL users in Japan, even said the same thing, "it was sold out in stores on day one", if you knew Japanese go read the article and the feed backs.

I know you from MAL, this was your quote.

"I don't hate Urobuchi, I hate the culture of infallibility and perfection surrounding him. I dislike that sort of fanboyism period where someone or something has to be made out to be this idea where anytime they're involved in anything it must be regarded as an instant masterpiece and people have to tiptoe around criticizing it and deal with it with the kiddie gloves off or theyre being a hater or some nonsense. Its just so stupid and trivial, like if he's so utterly infallible as an otaku friendly writer than whats the point of anything anymore. Might as well call it a done deal as far as anime goes and have him write everything cause clearly nobody can do any better ever."

No bash intended, but maybe you're onto something here.

If that's the case, sorry dude, EFP sells.

for the 30k copies, here's the info

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-01/expelled-from-paradise-film-tops-107-million-yen/.81654

EDIT:
EFP 2nd batch is sold out yet again on Amazon, 2nd restock on December 24.

Last edited by passer by on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:58 am; edited 2 times in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
YESSSSSSSS EFP at the top! Saw the movie in theaters this weekend and loved it. It was just too much fun! Really hope the strong sales will bring in a possible TV anime sequel or movie sequel. Very Happy

Good to hear, can't wait to see it once it gets translated Smile

I don't think it would be too surprising that the staff played a role in getting people interested, in addition to being interested by it being scifi, action, mecha etc., I've also been interested in the movie from day 1 thanks to Seiji Mizushima (and ofcourse his work on FMA and Gundam 00, two of my favorites).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2