• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Steins;Gate Game Headed West on PS3/PS Vita

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
To be honest I think it would be better served if it came out on mobile platforms like IOS and Android tablets. I think it would be far more successful than console release any way.

On mobile they would have to charge less than $10 for anyone to actually buy it. On console theyll be able to get away with$30-40 and probably get the same amount of sales. Vita owners in particular are eating this announcement up.

I'll be buying Vita day one if its physical.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Wow, how rare is it to have a full-fledge visual novel coming to consoles in the U.S.?

Well, not very, considering Hakuoki and XBlaze are full-fledged VN's. And those came out not too long ago.

Anyways, this is good news! X3
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Man, what an awesome month to be a PS3/PS4/Vita owner with all these announcements. Yakuza 5, Godzilla, and now this? Plus getting Suikoden 1 & 2, Super Time Force Ultra, Banner Saga, Broken Age, Day of the Tentacle, etc. Next year looks to be killer on my wallet.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmm licensing for this seems all over the place. This is obviously a separate licence to JAST, given the mention it may use a different translation. And then there is JASTs own difficulties releasing the game. For instance although wanting to, they haven't been able to obtain an agreement to release the game on Steam.

Somewhat surprised someone was able to wrangle PS3/Vita out of the production committee.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprise the console versions are getting release here,
I already have the pc version so I don't think I'll buy the Vita port.
But I'm glad the console versions are getting release here, its rare for
Visual novels to be release on something that isn't the pc in the west.

Hopefully it does well and the spinoffs as well as other visual novels
can get release here as well. I would love for Fate/stay night,
Higurashi and Umineko to get an English release.

Last edited by Break Xerxes on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slayer151515

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Can I still enjoy this game if I've seen the anime, and know about the plot twists?
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
ResistNormal wrote:
To be honest I think it would be better served if it came out on mobile platforms like IOS and Android tablets. I think it would be far more successful than console release any way.

On mobile they would have to charge less than $10 for anyone to actually buy it. On console theyll be able to get away with$30-40 and probably get the same amount of sales. Vita owners in particular are eating this announcement up.

Vita, Sure probably do ok, But only die hard fans will buy this for a already out of date console and at full price chances drop even more. On mobile there much more of a chance of getting into people's hands.
B00m23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
ResistNormal wrote:

Vita, Sure probably do ok, But only die hard fans will buy this for a already out of date console and at full price chances drop even more. On mobile there much more of a chance of getting into people's hands.

It's already on the appstore, along with Chaos;Head Noah. Sure, it's Japanese language only(still accessible via the American appstore), but it's still there.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Slayer151515 wrote:
Can I still enjoy this game if I've seen the anime, and know about the plot twists?

I saw the anime before playing the game and
Enjoyed it, If fact I like it more then the anime, of course, that may be because I love reading.
There are different endings you can get in the
Visual novel depending on what choices you make, I believe anyone who likes the anime should play it.
levonr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably stick with the PC version unless they dub this with the FUNimation cast but I really doubt would happen.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Now it would be awesome if Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes also came here.

I'm definitely buying this only for the chance it does well and we get Chaos;Head Noah.
(Also like some others have been saying Higurashi Sui PS3 please I'm greedy)
Clodus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
Huge fan of Steins; Gate. I have the limited edition Jast USA - PC version along with the english blu-rays.

So its not confirmed if they will use Jast's translations? One thing to note is that the PC version is purely a text translation and the audio is still in Japanese. The translation itself is fairly well done. No terrible engrish mistakes unlike many sloppy companies but unless PQube plans on adding english voice actors then I don't really see a point in porting it over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
ResistNormal wrote:

I love how people act like just because the PS4 came out all of a sudden everybody automatically has one. I JUST got a PS3 last month. YES I'm behind the times. Do I care? Not really. A whole generational gap between consoles means I get the console itself at a dirt cheap price with a library already filled with great, cheap games to choose from. Unlike every new console launch where some game with a massive budget advertises itself as game of the year and them always ends up sucking hard. Not only that, but if I ever want to play next gen exclusive games I just have to hook up with my friends who always have the latest consoles.

Of course, I'm not saying that everybody else is as late to the party as me, but the PS3 is nowhere near being an outdated console yet. It still has a lot of supporters and developers are still getting a lot out of it. Why do you think there are so many ports of PS4 games and vise versa?
calc84maniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:

Why not both? https://twitter.com/5pb_Mobile/status/545077208335654914
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote
This is great news as I've been considering buying the PC version for a while now, my main problem is that I don't really want to be sitting at my PC reading a novel and much prefer doing my reading when travelling so the Vita release is something I was hoping for.

Of course, I say that but I've dumped a ton of cash to get the Clannad PC version on KS and a few others on Steam so maybe I don't know what I really want except maybe a Windows tablet that is Steam compatible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3