• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Hakuna Takahata

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I saw the ending as a metaphor for spoiler[death].

Glad I'm not the only one who had that impression of the ending. Especially considering that all that stuff about spoiler[her fate being out of her control and her time on earth being finite] all started after she resolved to spoiler[kill herself rather than endure an unhappy existence as a reluctant bride].
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

Death of the Author and all that, but that's the intended interpretation.

Last edited by jymmy on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
A really great article! Isao Takahata is a genius, he captures human emotions so well in his works. So even though the stories tend to be very good, it's his characters that truly stand out. Like most people, I was introduced to Miyazaki's work first, but after I became increasingly interested in Studio Ghibli I researched their film catalog further and decided to watch Grave of the Fireflies because the topic seemed intriguing and not often explored in animation (at least not in America). And I don't think I need to describe my experience with that film, but needless to say I became a huge fan of Takahata's. And while Miyazaki definitely deserves his worldwide recognition, it's a damn shame that his partner and co-founder of such a wonderful studio doesn't get as much recognition outside or even inside of Japan. It's understandable I suppose, his films do tend to lean more toward the cultural boundaries. Whereas Miyazaki's films tend to bridge the gap between Japan and the west (even though many of his films still take place in Japan). And as Mike said, Takahata's films diverge much more radically in style than any of Miyazaki's. Visually, it's pretty easy to guess if a movie is by Miyazaki. But with Takahata it takes a bit more determination. Barely any of his films look the same. But that's what makes him so special. He isn't an artist, so he let's other talents envision his creations for him. That gives him this certain flexibility in his works.

I still need to check out a lot of his pre-Ghibli work, but I'm really excited to see Horus (Hols?) for the first time soon when the DVD arrives. I do wish there'd have been a Bluray available from the get go but I suppose Discotek doesn't do that very often with its releases.

And I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but GKIDS' release of Princess Kaguya is going to include the documentary (Isao Takahata and His Tale of Princess Kaguya) when it comes out in February. So that's pretty awesome as well. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to watch it (I was going to import it, but alas, no subtitles). I should also just put it out there that I also got a chance to see Kaguya and it was a breathtaking and just all around fantastic film.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
bravetailor wrote:

So, Spirited Away's win was really something of a fluke, rather than any indication of how much "superior" it was to other Ghibli films.

I don't think it was a fluke. Miyazaki is well known by the Academy.

Not at the time he wasn't. Spirited Away was actually his biggest exposure in the U.S. up to that date. (Princess Mononoke didn't make a lot of money and not a lot of people actually saw it).

Look at all the Best Animated Film winners. You'll notice that with the exception of Spirited Away, all of them have went to Warner Bros, Disney, Pixar or Dreamworks. Never mind the fact that there have been plenty of French or Japanese animated films that were superior to the actual winners during those years.

The fact is, Oscar voters by and large don't watch all the nominees, so they are going to usually vote for the 1 or 2 they watched with their kids that year. There are interviews with Oscar voters out there online if you google it, and many will admit to not knowing jack about the rest of animated films other than the big name ones like Frozen, Toy Story, etc,.

So yeah, it really is a fluke that Spirited Away won with that in mind.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who had that impression of the ending. Especially considering that all that stuff about spoiler[her fate being out of her control and her time on earth being finite] all started after she resolved to spoiler[kill herself rather than endure an unhappy existence as a reluctant bride].
Upon seeing this in a theater, I remember the audience reaction spoiler[was eerily quiet after the movie ended.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2