• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: ItaKiss: Complete Anime Series Collection Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
I'm very much enjoying the manga, I'm on v7 I think? But dear lord is Naoki a jerk, I really don't see what Kotoko sees in him. But Mrs. Irie is awesome and the side characters are awesome too, so much good stuff to overshadow Naoki's jerkiness. I mean, Naoki can barely even pretend to be nice to her! And he never defends her when other people are jerks to her either, if anything, he seems to encourage them. To anyone with self worth, never date (or marry) someone like Naoki, even if he graduated Harvard with magna cum laude.

I did buy the series (during the last RightStuf Discotek sale most likely), I just haven't watched it yet. And I'm still eagerly awaiting the last two manga vols to come out. I'm also lending the manga to my friend so she can read it to (our local library doesn't have it, of course, she borrows tons from me anyway, where else is she going to read Goong?)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
I really loved how this story just kept going where most stories would have stopped- less so the main characters and even less the series' habit of dropping and picking up and dropping and returning side characters as it feels like it.

Even odder to see them all featured in the ending montage without explanation or context. The reason is more a tribute to the original mangaka and the lack of an ending for the manga? Ok, that makes more sense now.

Overall, it's good and I'm glad I have the set. I'm even ok with the main guy being a jerk because 1) It's acknowledged in the series by everyone, including himself and his own family and 2) he literally makes it pay by spoiler[ becoming Dr. Jerk].
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Cool review. But that reminds me: I need to finish watching the live-action K-drama, J-drama and the Taiwanese drama (haven't find the time to finish those).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
^
With all due respect, how is your comment related to the topic at hand? Confused
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
^
With all due respect, how is your comment related to the topic at hand? Confused

Well because the dramas I mention are live-action adaptation of the said anime and the manga. When I saw the review, It did reminded me to finish the drama (which I haven't). I didn't mean to go off topic, just kinda remind myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
^
I see; I didn't realize that there are live-action adaptations.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
^
I see; I didn't realize that there are live-action adaptations.

Might help if you read this. Also if you are curious and want to check it out:

Playful Kiss (K-drama adaptation) on Hulu

the J-drama adaptation on Hulu and It's sequel (which ANN has promoted)

The Taiwanese adaptation and it's sequel on Dramafever
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Shoujo stories seem to be chock full of boy love-interests who are cold, indifferent jerkwads. I like some sappy shoujo every now and again, so i might check this out.

On a scale of 1 (Kimi ni Todoke) to 10 (Boys Over Flowers), how much attempted rape is there in this series?
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
^On a scale of 1 to 10? Not a lot. Naoki really doesn't want to and no one else seems to attempt it. That said, the mom just can't wait for them to make a kid and is a full shipper on deck and totally encourages sex. So 7 vols in, I've not seen rape, but damn if Mrs. Irie doesn't want them to have sex (she'll seriously be like "We're leaving you guys all alone in the house for the evening! I sure hope you have sex!")
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^On a scale of 1 to 10? Not a lot. Naoki really doesn't want to and no one else seems to attempt it. That said, the mom just can't wait for them to make a kid and is a full shipper on deck and totally encourages sex. So 7 vols in, I've not seen rape, but damn if Mrs. Irie doesn't want them to have sex (she'll seriously be like "We're leaving you guys all alone in the house for the evening! I sure hope you have sex!")

oh thank goodness; what you've just described actually sounds pretty hilarious. I feel like i definitely should check this out (though i am wary of the 'ice-cold love interest' trope)
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
I remember when this anime first aired, me and a friend were pretty hooked on it and would often discuss the events of a week's episode in depth.
I can't believe how long it took me to realise that Noaki is an absolute jerk though. I have yet to rewatch the series out of fear that this realisation will completely change my opinion.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

oh thank goodness; what you've just described actually sounds pretty hilarious. I feel like i definitely should check this out (though i am wary of the 'ice-cold love interest' trope)

Yeah, the ice king love interest is somewhat annoying. But damn if Mrs. Irie doesn't make up for her son sucking so bad. I swear, not even she knows why anyone likes Naoki (she herself admits he's cold and distant), but she really genuinely adores Kotoko. But then, she also has a habit of going to their school and loudly announcing to everyone (while in the worst disguise possible) every new thing about their relationship to absolutely everyone. I swear the entire campus knows things before either Naoki or Kotoko learn. Mrs. Irie never had a daughter like she always wanted and she also wants a grandkid, so combine all that and she's a bit crazy, but so much fun to watch. She seems to be the only one telling Naoki to stop being such a jerk to Kotoko. Naoki is capable of saying something sweet very very rarely and without throwing up, but he spends most of his time in jerk mode, one nice comment does not a good love interest make.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2