• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Trips to the Anime Underworld

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Where's #2 on the list? Am I the only one who can't see it?

Hells is just mislabeled.

Heh, I thought it was a tie.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
For the Poll i added Gosick... because well it got licensed by Bandai only for them to shut down before they even release it first and because of that we never got it for the home market....Even if it is sub only it needs to be rescued so we can finally have it.

I'm glad that Gosick is still available in Australia. Lisa Komine (singer of Resuscitated Hope and Unity) is a great singer and I heard her live last time I visited Japan.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The fact that Paranoia Agent was never rescued is just an absolute crime. I had to do some extremely deep digging to track down all of the singles for a friend at a non-insane price.

The Paranoia Agent collection is still available in Australia.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
For the poll, I opted for When They Cry- because unlike a lot of these other shows, this one sold {the secondary market for this title is ridiculous} and there's no reason for it to be out of print.

I was this close to buying the 2010 set while it was available but it sold out soon after Funimation said Geneon's license was going to expire- though it's not stopping them from selling the dubbed show online three years later {or someone is}. If those review dates are any indication, it's still selling.

Maybe the whole thing was one big scam {color me shocked}.

Going through it's "Oh, it's cancelled" thread was certainly an eye opener; As Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo put it: "Gullible is an understatement".

I think this is my last 5 star rented anime that I've yet to get. Yeah, don't really want to pay 200+ dollars for a used copy and the bootlegs and fansubs don't really do it for me.

Monster, Bakuman? Not even in the same league of.... dubiousness. There's no question about them, they just didn't sell.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
For the new poll I picked Tokyo Mew Mew because it never had a proper release.
I really enjoy the manga and I liked the look of the little bit of "Mew Mew Power" that I saw.

My second choice would have been Marmalade Boy because I have never seen it but did like the manga.

There are other shows in the poll that I like better than those, but I own the previous releases and have no personal need for a rescue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maltaotaku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I see the poll has a couple things that never did come out. xxxHOLiC Kei can't really be "rescued" if Funi never licensed it.

Technically it can...For Example Hell Girl..the first season got licensed by Funimation but Sentai got the second and third season instead..Also recently Free! second season got licensed by Funimation but the first season got licensed by Discotek...just because one series got licensed by one company cant mean that another company won't get the license rights and the release it instead

The real crime is that for the second season and ova;s to never get licensed by anybody and yet the first season and movie did is no justice...Even if it is a sub only release it should be made available to the western market cause there is still quite a fan base for it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Maybe I'm misreading the question, but shouldn't Evangelion (TV) be a slam-dunk for the poll?
With Rebuild coming out, I don't think that's even an option. Plus, ADV's suing Gainax over the movie rights, so they might still have the series rights as well.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Maybe I'm misreading the question, but shouldn't Evangelion (TV) be a slam-dunk for the poll?

I did not think about it because apparently there are still tons of ADV's platinum boxes available for sale. Now, if you are talking about rereleasing it on BD, that is an absolute must.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
For the new poll I added Monster. That is such an amazing series that deserves to be fully released. F-you Viz Media.

I still have the first (and only) boxset with the first fifteen episodes.

Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
invalidname wrote:

I did not think about it because apparently there are still tons of ADV's platinum boxes available for sale. Now, if you are talking about rereleasing it on BD, that is an absolute must.

Define "tons". On Amazon, the Platinum box is going for $500 new, $200 used.

EDIT: Moot point now that someone has added it as their poll choice. Let's see how it does.

Last edited by invalidname on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I voted for Lodoss, because it has BDs out so rescuing makes a lot of sense to me.

That got my vote too. I'd love to see that re-released on BD here.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Why are Index and Banner of the Stars on that poll when Funimation has the licenses to both? I know there was one Banner of the Stars OVA we never got but Index should not be on there at all.

Oh, and why have Galaxy Angel Rune on there when the whole franchise has been OOP? I don't think anyone would care for Rune to be rescued since it's the worst GA anime.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, so many legit choices. Why can't we have them all?

spoiler[Gun to my head, Evangelion]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Monster, Bakuman? Not even in the same league of.... dubiousness. There's no question about them, they just didn't sell.

Monster didn't sell because of the multiple bungles Viz made with marketing it. First they waited years to license it and then sat on the license for over a year (or was it two? I've forgotten) before even starting to dub it, giving the hype time to cool down. Then they sold it in 2" wide boxes with only 15 episodes, which would have taken up a foot of shelf space for a 74 episode series. That would have been fine in 2004, but not by 2010. So people held off because a) they hoped for a more space/price aware complete set, and/or b) they didn't believe Viz would ever release it all anyway, given their miserable track record of dropping series and never communicating with their customer base. They never took advantage of the free marketing ops at cons, with people having to pry information out of them with a crowbar and still getting nothing for their efforts. To top it all off they slapped a huge M 18+ explicit content advisory on the box which made it look like borderline hentai and kept it off the shelves of Wal-Mart et al, and killed a lot of impulse buys from outside the fandom.

So yeah, a rescue in competent hands would be very welcomed I think.

Beelzebub should have been on this list. Its view of Hell is not quite as I imagined it. Also the Hells where Lucifer and Beelzebub, et al hang out in Rage of Bahamut, and Makai Ōji: Devils and Realist are quite a bit different from the Biblical wastelands I was brought up on. Smile All of those are just much...prettier and brighter places that we've been told to expect.
albanian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
The other shows that jumped to mind for me (Kaiba and Denno Coil) aren't rescues since somehow neither got licensed in the first place.
I haven't checked recently but, as with other shows mentioned in this thread, Dennou Coil is/was available in Australia - which is where I sourced my copy. (The same can be said, thankfully, of Chihayafuru - sadly neglected in the rest of the world.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7