• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Right On DeMarco

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
You tell sentai "hey" or you can shell out $300 for the limited edition blu-ray box set.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
rmarti3926 wrote:
And if you think you can't show shojo anymore because it's "too girly" or "no much 'Toonami' anymore" for the block, here are two more words you might consider...

Madoka Magica.

'Nuff said.

I can't say I follow your point here. The existence or obvious quality of Madoka Magica proves nothing about the viability of it or any other female-fronted show on Toonami (to say nothing of the fact that your earlier-cited Sailor Moon is shoujo, and Madoka Magica is most certainly not).

Specifically about Madoka, its ingenious plotting thwarts playing it on television - just like Zac said a viewer who happens on to Attack On Titan would be lost if they landed on episode 19, so too would a Madoka viewer at any point mid-way through the series. Plus, the earlier episodes give little hint about what the show will become… surely, you've had to tell people to give Madoka at least until its third episode, for fear they'll bail after the second.

Serialized shows do really well with DVRs and streaming, where you almost can't help but watch every episode in order. For TV, live viewers are the ones who see the ads, and are largely the only ones who count. That means appointment viewing and drop-in, and for the latter, it only makes sense that episodic shows with less serialization like Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy are more valuable.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
DeMarco has said that Ranma 1/2 is too old and Sailor Moon is only two years younger than that so I'd say chances are almost none of classic Sailor Moon.

Although that sounds like Jason would say something along those lines, where and when did he say that, because I can't recall?

An example of DeMarco saying Ranma is "too old" (I was the one who asked the question)
http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/124758733289/

Apparently a google search has him saying Ranma is too old quite a few times (but it's his favorite Takahashi manga).
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
@ AbZeroNow:

Oh wow! He answered that one a few days ago. I sounded like the kind of question that could've been answered several months ago and is buried within all the Tumblr Q&A questions by now or something. Shocked
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
@ AbZeroNow:

Oh wow! He answered that one a few days ago. I sounded like the kind of question that could've been answered several months ago and is buried within all the Tumblr Q&A questions by now or something. Shocked

It probably has been answered on the Tumblr and I think he may have answered it on a Reddit Q/A he held. I do know that Ranma is often the example he uses when he talks about a show that is too old to air, despite having an HD Remaster.
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
Thank you for taking my question Zac, and thank you for the great answer Jason! I agree that being able to share Dilla's legacy with other people is an amazing thing, and I appreciate that you were able to do so with Adult Swim. I have fond memories of watching the block and seeing those bumps. In fact, Mash is my favorite track from the Donuts album almost entirely thanks to those bumps, though it being an awesome track doesn't hurt either. I was happy to hear you recount your experiences during that time.

Adult Swim and Toonami were definitely a huge part of making anime popular in the States. I remember being on vacation with my parents when I was younger, and watching a few episodes of Trigun and Cowboy Bebop playing while we had downtime in the hotel. Though I was already an anime fan at the time, I became instantly hooked on those series, and they continue to be some of my favorite series to date.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
That was a very informative podcast. Thank you for sharing all that information.

And since TV censors do not seem to mind more risque anime, should I expect to soon watch CROSS ANGE on Toonami? Wink

Hah, well he did say while they've loosened up enough currently to acquire Kill La Kill contrary to his initial expectation, they still need to do some censoring or editing on it. And compared to other shows, Kill La Kill is utterly tame (there's no actual nudity for one).
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
I haven't had a chance to listen.

But what's preventing DeMarco from picking run of the mill action series from Viz/Funi? I'm not taking about the popular flavors of the month or the nostalgia Toonami series. I'm talking about those 13-50 episode series from 2000-2010s.

Why not go after series like Accel World, Air Gear, Baccano, Buso Renkin, Birdy, Darker than Black,Full Metal Panic, GunXSword, Jormungand, KenIchi, Nura, Panty & Stocking, etc...

Shorter shows that can be switch out after one run that keep the Toonami somewhat fresh because they haven't aired on TV before.

Do the cost the same as a AoT/SAO/KLK? Does DeMarco not want to take the chance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
I haven't had a chance to listen.

But what's preventing DeMarco from picking run of the mill action series from Viz/Funi? I'm not taking about the popular flavors of the month or the nostalgia Toonami series. I'm talking about those 13-50 episode series from 2000-2010s.

Why not go after series like Accel World, Air Gear, Baccano, Buso Renkin, Birdy, Darker than Black,Full Metal Panic, GunXSword, Jormungand, KenIchi, Nura, Panty & Stocking, etc...

Shorter shows that can be switch out after one run that keep the Toonami somewhat fresh because they haven't aired on TV before.

Do the cost the same as a AoT/SAO/KLK? Does DeMarco not want to take the chance?

The only things that could in theory stop them would be does he like the shows enough to go out and try to get them and/or fan demand.

In the case of Panty and Stocking I do believe he once said they would never air it at one of the Momocon panels they held, 2013-2014. Looking for the videos to confirm that.

This is the Momocon2013 video, it has where they talk about how they pick shows. Will try to find the part about Panty and Stocking later. But here is the 2014 Momocon panel if you want to check it out.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting to hear that the current block's length is what Jason DeMarco was trying for, and that it was actually the higher ups that wanted all those late-night reruns. It isn't quite as concerning to know that the decline in the ratings and eventual shortening of the block was something that was expected to happen sooner or later.

Also, it is good to know that Aniplex seems to be quite aware that they need as many eyes on their shows as possible if they are going to charge the prices they do. I know that I'm currently considering buying Kill la Kill, but I never would have considered it if I wasn't watching it on Toonami right now.
ShanaChanTT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
honestly i dont believe the bull about re-runs bringing toonami down. its the re-runs you showed. bring back the classics not the garbage. and the priemeres you hosting. are bad.. Capital Bad. Toonami will never be the same from the 2000s. Someone dropped the ball. IT was successful for so many years.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:

They don't have enough money to keep buying and keep switching out shows. That's why they do rerurns - to fill in the gaps in money, until they can afford to acquire another show.

ShanaChanTT wrote:

bring back the classics not the garbage.

Many of those, their broadcast rights have expired. Licenses don't last forever - in order to bring those back, they would need to pay for those licenses again. But they'd rather spend what little money they have on other stuff than re-acquiring expired licenses (unless they really love it like Cowboy Bebop).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Glad he mentioned that part about how TV and therefore Toonami is especially great to have around because it's still a place where new viewers can be served something they weren't already aware of and knowingly looking for and how that created and still is creating new anime fans or fans of certain shows that they wouldn't have known to try out. One of the biggest reasons I was glad to have the block back and all of the new anime it's airing.

Greed1914 wrote:
Very interesting to hear that the current block's length is what Jason DeMarco was trying for, and that it was actually the higher ups that wanted all those late-night reruns. It isn't quite as concerning to know that the decline in the ratings and eventual shortening of the block was something that was expected to happen sooner or later.

Yeah it was interesting to hear but I'm not sure that I can really buy it even if he says it, the way it went down on such short notice with virtually no warning lead time added to the panic from many us. I dunno, I guess it's possible, but it also reads like saving face.

It's also a shame that to me it felt like they did it in such a rush, doing it off of the backs of December's holiday period and January, so fast that most regular shows were even still on winter break. I don't recall a ton of discussion about ratings problems in the back half before December's Month of Movies, but then again given how late those shows ran I tended to just enjoy watching them and not really look at the ratings while checking out ratings threads more for the premieres.

Plus the weird timing with only the first re-run of Space Dandy S2 merely a couple of weeks away and being only a few episodes into HD Bebop which they just acquired.

Other than one annoying bit I really enjoyed the interview.

It's kind of annoying he keeps mentioning "the network could always put on other stuff" as one of the bigger reasons they caved on the reruns since that's the most annoying part since it's the same damn stuff they re-run on every single other day of the week, Saturday night is the only time we get something other than those shows.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:

That's probably the double-edged sword though. Shorter shows probably cost more money in the long run since they need to keep acquiring a new show to take it's place so rapidly.

I agree with those types of series though. In a way, I'm actually surprised they didn't dive into some of these very well regarded action shows from the years they missed.

When they did Samurai 7 (I thought they might do Last Exile too), I thought that was a clue they might grab some of the big action shows from those missed years to fill in the schedule along with the brand new shows because they might be cheaper to get and would still draw a Toonami audience really well like Birdy, DTB, FMP, Gun X Sword, etc.

Though I guess they kind of were, since Gurren Lagann is currently in it's first Toonami run.

Perhaps the price difference between newer and older isn't as dramatic as expected?

Speaking of the new shows he said might be coming, I'm still curious if since Black Lagoon did well they'll do Jormungand, which I think would be great. Same for Psycho-Pass which would do well with the GITS audience.
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
DeMarco has said that Ranma 1/2 is too old and Sailor Moon is only two years younger than that so I'd say chances are almost none of classic Sailor Moon.

Although that sounds like Jason would say something along those lines, where and when did he say that, because I can't recall?

An example of DeMarco saying Ranma is "too old" (I was the one who asked the question)
http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/124758733289/

Apparently a google search has him saying Ranma is too old quite a few times (but it's his favorite Takahashi manga).

He said it on his twitter page during a short Q&A shortly after it was announced that Toonami was coming back. It'd be tough to dig up since that was a while ago though, before Viz licensed it. If fact due to there being a lot of fan demand for it he's pretty much changed his mind on that and pretty much flat out said they were interested in it at momocon last year. That I DO have a link for that. It's at the 24:18 mark in this here video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_rRY-VHUFI. They were asked about Crystal but which Toonami were referring to it kinda hard to say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4