• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Vivid Anime's 2nd Commercial, Air Date Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natchu96

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
tobeast777 wrote:
It should be force T-T Why has force died? I loved it so much. Strikers and Force are the best thing about the Nanoha series and what makes the series unique from many other magical girl shows. That said, go punch some people Einhart Stratos.

Nobody likes force Razz
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
tobeast777 wrote:
Strikers and Force are the best thing about the Nanoha series and what makes the series unique from many other magical girl shows.

According to most of the fanbase, Magical Record Lyrical Nanoha Force was the lowest point of the franchise for the reason that it had less to do with Nanoha (much to the title's irony) and more to do with Thoma. If I correctly recall, I heard that the fanbase (at least on the Japanese side) dislike Force so dearly that they even refused to accept it as canon.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
Technically I promised this for the thread in the other forum but since I just found it again and it is approriate...

http://das-sporking.livejournal.com/tag/fic%3A%20magical%20record%20lyrical%20nanoha%20force

A pretty accurate account of why Force is so bad/hated so much. I find myself agreeing with most of it (granted I have not really read all of it but what I did, resonates with my own opinion).

Personally I have no problem with Strikers. While I agree there were some awkward bits (mostly the whole political side could have been established way better), I enjoyed that Nanoha is one of the few series that actually attempts to have the child heroine grow up and pass the torch to the next generation (sort of). You don't get that very often. And I don't think it has been done all too badly. The only thing aside from the political issues that I may criticize about Strikers would be the relative uselessness of Hayate despite her status of SS-rank. I mean, almost all the main cast got a cool scene in the final battle while Hayate with all her power barely got to do anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
natchu96

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
MysticMew wrote:
Technically I promised this for the thread in the other forum but since I just found it again and it is approriate...

http://das-sporking.livejournal.com/tag/fic%3A%20magical%20record%20lyrical%20nanoha%20force

A pretty accurate account of why Force is so bad/hated so much. I find myself agreeing with most of it (granted I have not really read all of it but what I did, resonates with my own opinion).

Personally I have no problem with Strikers. While I agree there were some awkward bits (mostly the whole political side could have been established way better), I enjoyed that Nanoha is one of the few series that actually attempts to have the child heroine grow up and pass the torch to the next generation (sort of). You don't get that very often. And I don't think it has been done all too badly. The only thing aside from the political issues that I may criticize about Strikers would be the relative uselessness of Hayate despite her status of SS-rank. I mean, almost all the main cast got a cool scene in the final battle while Hayate with all her power barely got to do anything.

Hayate is mostly infamous for having so much raw power yet lacking in actual talent (due to not being born with said power) as to only be able to fire barely controllable nukes and nothing else. She can't even aim properly without help, and she can't tone her output down to compensate either. She's really just there as field commander and emergency nuke.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
I am aware of that and I can live with it mostly. But I wished something would have been found for her to do in a reasonable manner. All she got to do was shoot down some gadgets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
natchu96

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
Shame that the Cradle was probably nuke-proof eh? I guess more focused power is the only thing that would punch through.

Which makes me wonder whether she ever thinks it'd be really sweet if her new device had Starlight Breaker on it.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Technically there is no proof that it doesn't. The spells are stored in the book after all, so it's debatable whether she can use the ones absorbed by the Book of Darkness or not...

But yeah, the Cradle was pretty much as much SSS or higher in terms of defense. What might have been cool for Hayate to do, could have been to expand some effort in slowing it down with a very powerful spell. Might not have done much but at least it would have been a worthy moment to see.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
I love mecha anime. Especially when the mecha is replace with magical girls.
Also
Don't mess with the White Devil's daughter.

Unfortunately, ViVid has less to do with mecha and has more to do with Street Fighter. Vivio has a Hadouken, a Shoryuken and a Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku.
natchu96

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
msgundam2 wrote:
Also

Unfortunately, ViVid has less to do with mecha and has more to do with Street Fighter. Vivio has a Hadouken, a Shoryuken and a Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku.

Let's not forget the girl (and her ancestors) who could wipe out armies on a regular basis while unarmed . . . when everybody else is shooting each other and nuking things.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
MajinAkuma wrote:
msgundam2 wrote:
Also

Let's not forget the girl (and her ancestors) who could wipe out armies on a regular basis while unarmed . . . when everybody else is shooting each other and nuking things.

It's Black Rock Shooter!
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

On another note, how shounen tournament-y is this title?

The tournament is not that classic. spoiler[The tournament is mostly about the preliminaries because all members of Team Nakajima are defeated there. The only "main character" who advanced further than Team Nakajima is Miura, who is more or less the true Nanoha-expy in that series.]
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:

For a fairer comparision, I think the Vivid season of MGL Nanoha would be most similar to Variable Geo.
natchu96

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

The tournament is not that classic. spoiler[The tournament is mostly about the preliminaries because all members of Team Nakajima are defeated there. The only "main character" who advanced further than Team Nakajima is Miura, who is more or less the true Nanoha-expy in that series.]

spoiler[Well, plot-wise she's more the Hayate expy (Yagami dojo ftw) being that girl that shows up way later and ends up being seemingly elevated to main-character status. Power set-wise, though, she is definitely the true Nanoha-expy due to melee Breaker magic shenanigans. The moves Vivio shares with Nanoha are honestly few in number if not less than Subaru's number of Nanoha-moves . . .]
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
MajinAkuma wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

spoiler[Well, plot-wise she's more the Hayate expy (Yagami dojo ftw) being that girl that shows up way later and ends up being seemingly elevated to main-character status. Power set-wise, though, she is definitely the true Nanoha-expy due to melee Breaker magic shenanigans. The moves Vivio shares with Nanoha are honestly few in number if not less than Subaru's number of Nanoha-moves . . .]

spoiler[Not only power-wise. Miura's backstory is similar to Nanoha's. Both had an ordinary life (except that they live in completely different worlds), and they were very unhappy with their lives and they seemed to be depressed about not having any talents/reasons to live, until they encountered Strike Arts/magic. They are natural talents with a lot of potential, became quickly strong and they have a star theme, a similar magic color and Breaker magic. Both also defeated people who were stronger or more experienced than them, thanks to be determinators.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2