• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
3rd Naruto Epilogue Novel's Title, Story, Cover Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

I mostly agree up to her showing psychopathic behavior (I liked Sakura's personality... and she's selfish for sure, but psychopathic? Granted I've only read up to vol 52 so far, catching up!) But I'd like to extend this to all of the females on the 3-man teams. Every one of them was either a one-trick pony (Ino) or vastly inferior to their male counterparts (Hinata). If there were ever characters that were victims of their writer it's the Naruto girls (especially Sakura). I remember Kishimoto wrote in his early notes about how Sasuke and Sakura were suggested by his editor to give Naruto a rival and love interest; it's obvious he would have gladly written the entire series with nary a female ninja if it weren't for his editor(s) saying, "This manga needs some pretty girls!"

The thing that baffles me about Sakura is how Kishimoto spent a whole arc at the beginning of Shippuuden establishing that Sakura wasn't useless anymore, that she was both an esteemed medical ninja and could pack a punch, but where did that go? I can't think of a single instance after that arc where Sakura used her super strength except for comedic effect. It's like Kishimoto doesn't know how (or want) to write her any way other than a mostly-useless healer.

I'm really hoping this novel gives her a final opportunity to actually shine, and provides some actual romantic buildup to Sakura and Sasuke's relationship. I always liked the idea of them as a pair but thought that ship sailed long ago... I was legitimately surprised to hear they got together in end.

Yeah, it seems that Kishimoto hated the idea of putting females in the series. Basically every woman in Naruto gets the shaft in one way or another. Ino, Tenten, Hinata, Sakura, and the more experienced ones like Anko, Shizune, Kurenai, and even freaking TSUNADE, MEI, AND KONAN are just there instead of contributing anything worthwhile. The only times they felt like expanded characters was during filler arcs in the anime when writers other than Kishimoto were working on them.

As for Sakura and Sasuke, it might have worked if, ya know, Sasuke weren't such a sociopathic, selfish, whiny moron. It really felt like the ONLY reason he developed as a character was because Naruto or others forced him. A character arc requires a character to make choices of their own free will. At best Sasuke is just reactionary and what choices he does make are HORRENDOUSLY stupid or show why he didn't deserve others' good graces.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:

I disagree about Hinata, she's probably the strongest one out of her own team. I see your point though.

When I say "counterpart" I meant comparing Hinata to Neji. While she was actually equal to or surpassing her teammates, I never could get over that she from a ninja technique standpoint, was a "female, and therefore weaker" version of Neji.

HeeroTX wrote:

To be fair, once you get past the Akatsuki arc, that pretty much happens to EVERYONE (except Naruto and Sasuke). Heck, in the Ninja war it kind of felt like Kishimoto HAD to spoiler[bring back the ghosts of all the kages] because EVERYONE (except Naruto & Sasuke) was pathetically "weak" in comparison. I'd be more inclined to agree if the end showed off Rock Lee or Kiba or one of the other guys, but you reached a point where even Kakashi and Gaara and such seemed pretty superfluous. The one "upside" of the later chapters is that the "power level escalation" seemed to keep accelerating so at least you didn't spend an eternity building someone up just to make them obsolete, instead in the "end game" people started getting obsolete almost a few chapter after getting introduced. Anime hyper

This is true but almost all Shounen manga seems to have that power escalation problem. (Not that I'm defending it, I would have enjoyed seeing some of the other teams more)

I think what bothered me about Sakura in particular is that Kishimoto is always making a big deal about the "great 3", and the other great 3 man teams trained by former Hokages, and in particular how each of Team 7 is trained by a former "great 3" member. Tsunade is treated like she really is on equal footing with Jiraya and Orochimaru. But esteemed medical ninja or not, Sakura is just no where near Naruto and Sasuke's level. Naruto and Sasuke have already surpassed Jiraya and Orochimaru each (and I have 30 volumes to go) but from what I've heard and seen I'm guessing that even if Sakura surpasses Tsunade in healing, she'll never surpass her as a ninja overall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I thought the woman on the cover was Tsunade....
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Just as a note of warning for people, if your post is simply a one-liner insult with cursing? Your post is likely just going to be deleted. Complaints are fine as long as you put some thought and reason behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
One of the worst female characters I've ever seen in the shonen genre (and that's saying something).
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Yeah, it seems that Kishimoto hated the idea of putting females in the series. Basically every woman in Naruto gets the shaft in one way or another.

And if he didn't want so what? So we are riding again this white knight feminist crusade now in Naruto too? sigh. If he didn't let him, its a story of fiction, lets stop pretending women absolutely MUSH have some important role anywhere and everywhere, it must happen naturally not forced just for the heck of it and meet and agenda.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The various war arc(s) is possibly what may hace contributed to the downfall of Naruto considering it was going on/off for years.
ichii_1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Any chance these novels get anime?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
ichii_1 wrote:
Any chance these novels get anime?

Given how Naruto still has its popularity, I could see it happening but it's gonna to be a while before we hear such news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2