• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Core Conceptions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
As far as amazing Data East games go, it isn't a video game, but I really liked The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends and is the single best thing I've ever played from that company. It helps that its lead designer, Tim Seckel, is a fan of the show, and this is evident everywhere in the game. I almost paid $2,400 last year for an arcade machine of Rocky & Bullwinkle to keep in my garage. I liked it that much.

Impressive. That's saying a lot if you were willing to pay that much for it. It must have been good. Personally, I'd love anything great having to do with the unappreciated moose and squirrel.

Quote:
I did manage to play Trio the Punch though. Boy, that was WEIRD.

Trio the Punch defies all logical explanation at times; "weird" isn't nearly a strong enough adjective to describe it. Even the arcade machine's art makes no sense: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/triothepunch/flyer.jpg

The game is just ultimate absurdity, but Japan is no stranger to that genre. I mean, if you think of Trio the Punch as mildly bizarre, then Pu-Li-Ru-La is levels above that: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/pulirula/pulirula.htm

Quote:
Some things never change, do they?

Unfortunately they don't. I know this is a gross generalization and not backed up with nearly enough proof, but those comments just make my cynical side say that such remarks reinforce the stereotype that North Americans are only instantly hooked when they see their game characters are going to be some dark, gritty, broody gun-toting soldiers or something similar. If the protagonist looks remotely cute and cartoony or is done in anime style, instant thumbs down with angry cries of "What's this kiddy crap!?" all across the board.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the reason I passed it up was because I found out the average used price for Rocky & Bullwinkle was only around $1,500. I would've been ripped off.

It wasn't always the dark, broody, always-angry tough guy/girl that was considered cool. Sonic the Hedgehog was treated much the same way in the early 90's as Alex Mercer or Bayonetta is now, and it was SEGA accusing Nintendo of being kiddy.

Is that word still being used? I often hear "babyish" instead, considering kids want to play as these gritty, badass heroes and would want to distance themselves from the more colorful, cartoony stuff. Kids desperately want to look mature, and that's their way of doing so.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Is that word still being used? I often hear "babyish" instead, considering kids want to play as these gritty, badass heroes and would want to distance themselves from the more colorful, cartoony stuff. Kids desperately want to look mature, and that's their way of doing so.

In the inverse the adults want the games that distance themselves away from the grit, violence, profane, & sexualized

Vicious cycle indeed.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It wasn't always the dark, broody, always-angry tough guy/girl that was considered cool. Sonic the Hedgehog was treated much the same way in the early 90's as Alex Mercer or Bayonetta is now, and it was SEGA accusing Nintendo of being kiddy.

Yeah, the extreme animal superhero mascot era. It was ostensibly less annoying because it was a fad that picked up and lasted well into the late 90s, and while there were plenty of imitators in games and cartoons, they're more fondly remembered because they were appealing to some degree. And yes, I know someone is going to mention Bubsy being a total failure. XD

Quote:

I still see it thrown around from time to time. As for kids desperately wanting to look mature, imagine their expressions when they realize being mature involves getting a job, paying bills and taking care of themselves, instead of their parents looking after them. They'll think, "This isn't like how it was in my games! Where are all the cool jobs that involve the badass stuff!? I have to cook and clean too!?"

Of course I'm only generalizing because I've seen many cases where today's generation has no desire to help their parents, actually has the balls to swear at them and declare they want to get away from their folks so they can "do their own thing", which in their shallow worldview means being glued to their phones, laptops and consoles all day.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
In the inverse the adults want the games that distance themselves away from the grit, violence, profane, & sexualized

Vicious cycle indeed.

No kidding. Kids want to be adults, and adults want to feel like kids again. Yikes. We can understand it from the adults' point of view, since none of us are kids anymore and we fondly look back on the "good old days", the very same words we probably heard from our parents and grandparents since our youth. I would tell the kids to just enjoy their youth while it lasts. For the time being, they can at least learn to be civil and grow up with some measure of internal maturity. Same advice I gave all my students when I was teaching.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
It does make me wonder how these kids might react when they find out that adults have moved back to Super Mario and Pokémon and LittleBigPlanet and such, and for adults who are even older, you have Angry Birds and Wii Sports and all that. Then again, Minecraft seems to be an aversion to that whole gritty stuff.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:30 am Reply with quote
Southkaio

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Yooka-Laylee, the Rare crew could use well-known British celebrity actors of stage, film and television, comedians, professional actors of stage, film and television or professional voice actors for the character voices. Why all of the video games made by Rare are voiced by its crew?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
That was a product of its time. I can't recall many video games made prior to 2004 that had voice acting done mostly by professionals outside of Lani Minella and her team.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
That was a product of its time. I can't recall many video games made prior to 2004 that had voice acting done mostly by professionals outside of Lani Minella and her team.

Not just that, but when they did get professional actors doing voices or roles, it was a huge deal and often plastered all over the box as a selling point. I was never into Wing Commander, but I remember when Wing Commander III came out in '94 with Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowell, and John Rhys-Davies in featured roles, and they made sure you knew about it (Hamill's likeness on the front cover, a cast listing and screenshots featuring the actors on the back cover). Same thing when Apocalypse came out for the PS1 in '98, the front cover had "starring Bruce Willis" in big bold type along with his picture, even though he actually only had a handful of lines in the final version.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Not just that, but when they did get professional actors doing voices or roles, it was a huge deal and often plastered all over the box as a selling point. I was never into Wing Commander, but I remember when Wing Commander III came out in '94 with Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowell, and John Rhys-Davies in featured roles, and they made sure you knew about it (Hamill's likeness on the front cover, a cast listing and screenshots featuring the actors on the back cover).

Remember playing those. Awesome that they used live-action footage (so not just voice acting). T'was exotic at a time when we were just getting away from floppies.
Souther

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
That gun's amazing. As for Data East themselves, I've only played one of their games, Fighter's History. I know it's considered to be a SF rip-off (Capcom even tried suing them for it lol) but it's a solid fighter. SNES version's one of the first fighting games (if not the first) with a tag-system too.

There're quite a few games I would like to play from their library (Night Slasher, Skull Fang, etc).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2