• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Space Invaders [2015-06-01]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Question for other people with an anime room/apartment: where do you find mini posters like those featured in the column today? I would really like to decorate my new place with some but I haven't been able to find them for sale. I just have the ones that came with my Madoka/Oreimo LEs and I'm not terribly crazy about them.

There are a couple of decent options. One is to pick them up in a dealer's room the next time you go to a convention. There will usually be at least a couple of vendors who sell nothing but posters, with a separate area of their booth for small-sized posters. They'll have deals (especially on the last day of a convention) where you can get 3 posters for $10 or something, which makes it a pretty cheap option if you don't need a specific poster for your room.

Another way to get posters is to buy Japanese-language magazines. I used to import Newtype magazine, and each issue came with at least one small poster for a show that was airing at the time. Import websites will usually mention the posters that come with each issue, so if you know what poster you want, you can go onto auction sites and buy particular back issues with posters you want.

English-language versions of Shonen Jump manga sometimes come with little posters, so keep an eye out for those, too.

Keep in mind that a lot of posters featuring then-current or upcoming shows are double-sided (for example, Rolling Girls on one side, Seraph of the End on the other). If a poster is being sold "used", then make sure that the side you want is undamaged.

Finally, it is worth mentioning that when you buy a DVD from RightStuf, you'll usually get a couple of postcard-sized ads for shows like Space Brothers or Rozen Maiden, that you could tack to a bulletin board or something.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I liked the premise of Devil Survivor 2, but I still can't make it past the first episode. I can't say its bad, but some more budget I think could've really helped. The growls/roars/battle cries and whatnot were about as low quality as it got, not to mention the whole thing reminded me intensely of Digimon. A tiger for the main character? Come on, some more creativity please.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
A tiger for the main character? Come on, some more creativity please.

Byakko could hardly be anything else:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byakko
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:
Question for other people with an anime room/apartment: where do you find mini posters like those featured in the column today? I would really like to decorate my new place with some but I haven't been able to find them for sale. I just have the ones that came with my Madoka/Oreimo LEs and I'm not terribly crazy about them.

Megami Magazine (Japanese Language) has usually 10 double sided posters per issue. Each is roughly 12 inches by 17 inches. They also usually include a folded poster substantially larger than that. You need to check to see it the subject matter is to your liking though. Lots of fan service. You should be able to order a copy from either RACS or TRSI.
Elves

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Just throwing my two cents in when it comes to the release of Haikyu!!
stateside (and I'd love to see it supported more).

I think Haikyu!! is the perfect show for people who are not into the sports genre. That's because character interaction is downright awesome and everyone is believable. I also think that all of the guys grow (both personally and in skills) throughout the show. As an audience member you find yourself rooting for them from the bottom of your heart regardless of whether you're really grasping the nuances of the game.

The artwork is what grabbed my attention origianly, and when I first started watching I knew next to nothing about volleyball. Yet now I know a lot more and it's not like I even tried. The writers integrated the game-knowledge seamlessly.

So I'd suggest, rather, that everyone, regardless of your preferred genre, check Haikyu!! out because of its great story and characters.

*end of shameless plug*
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the bookshelf submitter went to Otakon Vegas. I saw that Sushio signed board there.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Elves wrote:

I think Haikyu!! is the perfect show for people who are not into the sports genre. That's because character interaction is downright awesome and everyone is believable.

Maybe you just watched really poor sports anime prior, but strong character interaction and believable characters has always been the strengths for sports anime. Titles such as Hikaru no Go, Giant Killing, Hajime no Ippo, and Cross Game all excel at those facets, and of course there's plenty more.

Honestly I'm baffled how someone could think that Haikyuu is some sort of sports anime anomaly because it has awesome character interactions with believable characters that exhibit growth as the series progresses.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Devil Survivor 2 was one of the worst shows in that season. Everyone just pulled random Personas and fusions right out of their ass with absolutely no foreshadowing. The ending was just a set of ass pulls.

Hey, at least you finished it. I never got past the first two episodes. As I wrote on my anime, my viewing experience was one of being interminably bored yet simultaneously cringing at every scene.

Megiddo wrote:
...but strong character interaction and believable characters has always been the strengths for sports anime.

Eh, it depends. For every Hikaru no Go there's a Kuroko no Basuke.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the show itself is sunny and pleasant enough, provided you can stomach the super dated 2001 character designs.
Fandompost got this wrong too, but Please Teacher! aired in the Winter 2002 season, not in 2001. Though I guess the character designs technically would've been done in mid/late 2001.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
the show itself is sunny and pleasant enough, provided you can stomach the super dated 2001 character designs.
Fandompost got this wrong too, but Please Teacher! aired in the Winter 2002 season, not in 2001. Though I guess the character designs technically would've been done in mid/late 2001.

I honestly don't know what that means. The visual and character designs on the show are fine, and the more recently released Cat Planet Cuties uses a similar style.

If you are going to criticize this for being dated you can criticize basically any show older than a few years, and hell ranma is even more dated than this show, as the original manga started in the eighties.
Elves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Elves wrote:

I think Haikyu!! is the perfect show for people who are not into the sports genre. That's because character interaction is downright awesome and everyone is believable.

Maybe you just watched really poor sports anime prior, but strong character interaction and believable characters has always been the strengths for sports anime.

Honestly I'm baffled how someone could think that Haikyuu is some sort of sports anime anomaly because it has awesome character interactions with believable characters that exhibit growth as the series progresses.

Yeah...any other sports show I've seen (aside from Big Windup!) places the sport itself first and foremost above everything else. To me if the sport is the main "character" it isn't quite as standout as those shows which place the characters first. Plus the character growth, both personally and in skills, make the show that much better in my opinion. (Yowamushi Pedal is one where the emphasis on the cycling outweighs the characters IMO.)

So excuse me while I continue to gush over an "anomaly" of a sports show which I actually watched all the way through even though I'm not a sports fan in any sense of the word.
shiroe789

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

I know it's been mentioned, but Newtype is good, though don't have posters all that often. Megami and Nyantype are both pretty heavy on fanservice. Animate, Animedia and Otomedia also have good selections of posters.

Here are a few that came with the last issue of Animate, Animedia and Otomedia, to give you an idea.

They're all double sided. The Tokyo Ghoul has an UtaPri on the back, the Fate and Fafner have KanColle on the back, and the other two are double sided, but I don't know the series.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote
I love "Space Brothers" to death as well, and am still hoping for another season once the manga finishes/gets far enough ahead. The Texas Roadhouse scenes went above and beyond the call of duty. Hardly anyone in the show's primary audience will ever know how well they nailed it, or even what they nailed, but that's how committed they were to getting it right.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Wanna be the strongest...is a thing

But yeah, Fanservice is the shows strength (If you call that a strength?), not the actual wrestling. I mean for the first like 4 episodes the only move anyone ever does is a Boston crab. I'm still not sure how i felt about that show...kinda whatever I guess.

I believe that was a pretty deliberate choice for those episodes. The point was that Sakura wasn't learning from her mistakes, so the other wrestlers didn't need anything other than the Boston Crab because she would always let it happen and always gave up. They could beat her psychologically by forcing her into a rut.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:

It aired January 2002, so it would've been in production in 2001. (But actually, I think we both messed it up because of an errant December 2001 entry in the encyc, which corresponds to a music single, but has somehow been flagged for the show. Oops.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3