• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Five Amazing Untranslated Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
StrangeIslands wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:
love some of these nods and ones mentioned here in the forum. Id like Boys on the run to get a shot as i was reading it but the guy who was scanlating it seems to have died or something so i had to stop Sad

Scanlations are the last hope to get anything good to come out without industry interference/demands/arrogance. Sad

I remember having an heated discussion with Vertical about scanlations(yes the vertical) and how publishers rely on the popularity gained from scanlations. Then the day after they posted a survey about what fans want them to publish. I just wonder how many of the recommendations were from people who read scanlations.

Personally, I agree wholeheartedly that without scanlations the release of manga wouldn't know where to go. That's the good thing with Tokyopop, they didn't care about risks. Now its all about "oh the series you want isn't popular? sorry ahhh no not happening". Show us that ye take risks and i'd support ye more. I have more japanese volumes than english volumes at home because all they seem to publish here are the quote on quote "best titles".

I've been reading scanlations and supporting the industry (buying Holyland as i read scanlations) and i've found the best titles are the ones publishers won't even touch because there's too much "risk".

I wonder what happened to the saying, "you'll never know unless you try"

It truly is a sad age in the manga industry. I was seething with rage when reading your post. I hope publishing companies like Kodansha USA shut down forever, because clearly those companies (Oh, I'm sorry, I meant "Subsidiaries") like them are doing more damage then good when it comes to licensing titles. It's just the Japanese shooting themselves in the foot. That's all there is to it.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
rabrek wrote:
and put them next to my set of Shin Angyou Onshi (aka Shin amhaengosa). SAO is my holy grail of manga that hasn't been released in English.

Another Shin Angyou Onshi lover, yes! That series is phenomenal and has perhaps the greatest flashback I have ever read/watched with the way it was built up. Would dearly love for it to get a English release.

Very interesting column this week, I've only read Silver Spoon out of those listed but personally find it a tad dull. Not bad but I don't look forward to new chapters.

The list has given me a few new manga to look into, Homunculus (and everything else by Hideo Yamamoto from the sounds of it!) sounds like my cup of tea.

There a lot of unlicensed manga series I could list but Nana to Kaoru deserves a special mention. It is incredible in every way, beautiful art, fascinating story and well researched for the subject matter. In fact anything by Ryuta Amazume I'd say. That man is basically a god. He draws the female form like none other and all the series he's created just draw you in from the start. Got all the Japanese volumes of most of his series, just a few more to track down. Hope one of his works is featured in this column some day.
MangaRocks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
There are many manga that I wish would be translated here (Silver Spoon included), but easily topping my list is Amatsuki by Shinobu Takayama. A joke was made in one of its volumes that the series is a 'Science Fiction Historical Supernatural Fantasy Romance Mystery,' which is funny not only because it's true, but because it *works.* It does indeed have all of those elements, and yet somehow they're all blended perfectly into one awesome package. Add to that the fact that the plot makes you pay attention and think and is just really intriguing, the characters are well-developed and endearing, and the art style is interestingly unique, and you clearly have a winner. In fact, it's one of the few currently-running manga I've already given a full 10/10, because right now it's literally *just that good.* (I cannot even describe how much I want this series brought over here...)
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Kakukaku Shikajika is the best manga I've read (discovered it because it was covered here, actually), and I'd love to see it published outside of Japan.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Renjuurou Kindaichi is another quality author that never left Japan and i got curious and looked at my extensive MU reading list (280 titles) and the only ongoing / in scanlation manga with a 10/10 are: All Rounder Meguru, Berserk, Billy Bat, Historie, Jin, Real and Vinland Saga.
The highlighted haven´t come to the US while Billy Bat is being published in Germany.
The equably perfect and completely translated Kids on the Slope still hasn´t crossed the boarder but it blows the rushed anime out of the water. Confused Mad
Here are my "nonconformist" 9,5/10´s: A Bride's Story, Dorohedoro, Ghost in the Shell Arise - Nemuranai Me no Otoko Sleepless Eye, Kidou Senshi Z Gundam Define, Suicide Island and Until Death Do Us Part. My opinion as a librarian on the US book market isn´t the highest btw.

I have given perfect scores or reviews to female targeted manga from yesteryear as Mars or Please save my Earth too as i read all demographic but these got licensed. Yay.
I also read Comics / Bande dessinée and way too many of the last kind also need to rely on fan translations to leave Europe. A shame but these also come to Germany 95% of the time. Wunderbar!

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I would also loooooooove to have Shin Angyo Onshi gracing my shelf in English. I would buy it in a heartbeat!

I also hope someone rescues a few Tokyopop licenses....namely Fruits Basket. I hope that one is a manga that someone will scoop up and release in one of those wonderful omnibuses. I need it on my shelf!

I also hope someone rescues Silver Diamond, but that one is far less likely....
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
That's the good thing with Tokyopop, they didn't care about risks.

And then they went out of business.

StrangeIslands wrote:
It truly is a sad age in the manga industry. I was seething with rage when reading your post. I hope publishing companies like Kodansha USA shut down forever, because clearly those companies (Oh, I'm sorry, I meant "Subsidiaries") like them are doing more damage then good when it comes to licensing titles. It's just the Japanese shooting themselves in the foot. That's all there is to it.

Yes, how dare these companies attempt to make a living by releasing titles that will do well here! They should release all the manga I want, and for free, at that! The sheer gall of these people! How any decent human being could prioritize putting food on one's table over releasing my favorite manga titles is beyond me!
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
That's the good thing with Tokyopop, they didn't care about risks.

And then they went out of business.

StrangeIslands wrote:

Yes, how dare these companies attempt to make a living by releasing titles that will do well here! They should release all the manga I want, and for free, at that! The sheer gall of these people! How any decent human being could prioritize putting food on one's table over releasing my favorite manga titles is beyond me!

Ah, piss off you bucket of worthless arrogance & wasted flesh. We all should know that the companies I'm talking about are not the good companies like Funimation. But subsidiaries like Aniplex USA, Ponycan USA, Kodansha USA etc. of Japanese corporations that just want to make as much profit as humanly possible while maintaining control of everything as much as possible in their own nation. That's the only reason those companies exist.

Because Japan is a narrow-minded, nationalist and arrogant country, it's bound to be that way. There is a belief that Japanese are really smart people. THEY. ARE. NOT. The Japanese pioneers/scientists that invent things tend to be that way. The average citizen tends to only be good at breathing, eating and well, just doing nothing in their flawed excuse of a modern culture & being adverse to change & foreigners. Don't get me wrong, I love Japanese Manga/Anime but I hate a lot of things about the country, Especially the J-idol industry and fandom.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Homunculus is superb. That said, it's a little hard to recommend to people unless you know their tolerance for the strange and disturbing.

Personally, my only complaint about it was the MC's... ehem... strange habit... that seems to have no point or bearing on the story other than to add another WTF aspect of it.
bahamutzero89

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I still wonder why Zetman hasn't been picked up by anyone...
amtt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
Its because there are these untranslated treasures out there that scanlators still have a purpose. What publisher has the ca-hones to publish Mad Bull 34 (comics one might have). Who will bring out Ran and the Grey World around Her (it would make a great pack in with the Ancient Magus Bride, get on it seven seas!). There are hundreds of chapters of Baki the Grappler just waiting to be punched through peoples skulls. Plus, whenever I go to Kinokuniya I see mountains of untranslated stuff that I want to read.
Biorg Trinity, Kurosagi, Usogui, Worst, Crows, etc etc. The list is truly endless.

Renta! Seems to be releasing Mad Bull 34 (hoping all of it)
http://en-renta.papy.co.jp/renta/sc/frm/item/64491/
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
There are way too many artists and manga to choose for this kind of topic now that most english-language publishers aren't willing to risk their profits with series that won't sell. I enjoy buying manga that I like to read whenever they do get published here but my collection of non-english manga and manga that I read by scanlation has largely outgrown it.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think one of the reasons to blame would be people seeking out the title rather than the creator. There's a sort of ebb with some mangaka getting titles published but then fading out when their titles don't sell outstandingly well, but any spin-off or adaptation for a popular anime is guaranteed to do alright because the fanbase is already invested enough to purchase it. If there were more manga readers with that type of attitude towards the artists it would probably give them a more secure spot of getting titles published here.

Obviously some titles have been licensed because of online/scanlation feedback but we're still missing out on the ones who haven't been exposed in english by that way - and some of these have even been published in Europe, like Reiko Okano's Onmyouji and The Calling.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
The biggest tragedy of a mangaka's series not ever being published in english is the works of Mori Kouji... And Holyland deals with suicide, bullying and the sorts.

Yes to Holyland. It's been a while since I've read this, but what I loved about the manga was how it took apart the physics behind different fighting styles, what its strengths were, etc. and how that worked on the street level.

I thought that the rest of the plot and the interpersonal relationships were weak in comparison to the detail spent on the actual fights themselves, so when the series started to drift off in that direction, I began to lose interest. I've only read up through chapter 182 - Does it go back to the fighting dynamics or does the series continue to play out Yuu's relationship with the girl he likes?

There are plenty of manga I would like to see translated. I am very happy that titles from my favorite "non-big name" mangaka, Aya Shouoto, are finally being released in the US. I would like to see Woodstock released in the US. If it can be released in both France and Italy despite the constant music references, I don't see why it can't be released in the US.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
Gunjo.

GUNJO.

GUUUNNJOOOO.

I would pay anything.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
Really wish the Elfen Lied manga would get licensed. I kinda thought someone would pick it up since the anime is pretty popular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3