• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
Really interesting analysis of the film and the franchise. I got curious about the other film as well, Mystery of Mamo.

Mamo was made first, IIRC, on the first series and Punch manga, and though I only saw it once after Cagliostro, I remember it being.....really bad.
A weird/confusing plot, ugly artwork, the "non-cuddly" genuine series characters, and a villain who looked like the love-child of Paul Williams and Simon Bar-Sinister.

Well, despite your impression it was included among the top 50 greatest animated films ever made in a poll made in 2003 among 140 animators (Laputa poll). Though given the small number of good animated movies in existence up to that time it is not impossible that a mediocre movie made through. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Mamo was made first, IIRC, on the first series and Punch manga, and though I only saw it once after Cagliostro, I remember it being.....really bad.

Well, despite your impression it was included among the top 50 greatest animated films ever made in a poll made in 2003 among 140 animators (Laputa poll). Though given the small number of good animated movies in existence up to that time it is not impossible that a mediocre movie made through. Very Happy

Nostalgia vote, also Cagliostro is not as well respected at home, for not being the "True" Lupin.
Also IIRC, those were the only two theatrical Lupins--Babylon Gold didn't play theaters, did it?
Desslok

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Really, this film should be mandatory for all anime fans. "Welcome to the anime club. Here is your complimentary copy of Cagliostro!"

I cant wait to get into the extras on this.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
For those that might have an older version and this one, I have the DVD (Manga version if it matters), is it visually worth the upgrade?
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
For those that might have an older version and this one, I have the DVD (Manga version if it matters), is it visually worth the upgrade?

Short word: Yes, it's worth it.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Cagliostro's story is something that a lot of people underestimate. There's actually quite a bit there, and in has the same themes that you'd expect from a Miyazaki movie, albeit much more subtly. I wrote a lengthy analysis of this film if anyone's interested.

http://thepunkeffect.com/oliver-otaku-the-themes-subtext-and-motifs-of-lupin-iii-the-castle-of-cagliostro/

Really interesting analysis of the film and the franchise. I got curious about the other film as well, Mystery of Mamo.

Ah, thank you very much! It was something I did for this film's anniversary, so I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

Quote:
A weird/confusing plot, ugly artwork, the "non-cuddly" genuine series characters, and a villain who looked like the love-child of Paul Williams and Simon Bar-Sinister.

Mamo is a film that's not to everyone's taste, and I totally understand that. I personally enjoyed though because of how closer it was to the manga and it's overall insane atmosphere. It's no masterpiece like Cagliostro, but I found it to be a fun ride regardless. I think a lot of people view it more to be a historic animation piece, rather than a "good" film altogether. I did a long review of this film too as well.
http://thepunkeffect.com/oliver-otaku-lupin-iii-the-mystery-of-mamo-review-interview-with-richard-epcar/

It should also be noted that Mamo was one of the first anime films to be dubbed in English. Toho basically got any English speakers who lived in the Tokyo area, auditioned them, and then selected them as voice actors. Most anime back then had been heavily edited for American broadcast, but this was to my knowledge the first time they released a film uncensored in English. Some say that it was made specifically for international airline flights, but that's been debated somewhat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2