• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf/Sunrise to Release Original Gundam TV Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuklaw324

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I wish they release all UC on BD. Zeta looks amazing on BD for a show that came out 30 years ago.
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The 2011 Bandai DVD release using the lickably grainy 2007 remastered R2J DVDs is excellent enough for me, considering the DNR done to the BD version. I hope TRSI's release uses that for the DVD version instead of a BD downscale.

The others, however, I got my eye on. BDs if possible for the rest, please!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
BDs for those OVAs and films anyway, 0080 and 0083 still need them.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Hazinger Zeta wrote:
The 2011 Bandai DVD release using the lickably grainy 2007 remastered R2J DVDs is excellent enough for me, considering the DNR done to the BD version. I hope TRSI's release uses that for the DVD version instead of a BD downscale.

The others, however, I got my eye on. BDs if possible for the rest, please!

That sort of reminds me of Bandai's 0083 release, which just looked gorgeous, even though it's DVD. I don't know if it was a remaster or not, but I wish 08th had that kind of quality, as it paled in comparison—by a few miles. Hopefully, all of these releases get good quality prints to work with, because I'm sure many fans know how these things can turn out, by now…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MadHi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I hope they make them region-free and I hope all remaining sub-only series finally get English dubs. Especially X.

Edit- I hope they bring all the Gundam series on blu-ray, I don't see Wing, SEED, 00, AGE or any of the Universal Century side stories listed.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Wake me up when seed BD and 00 BD get released ..zzZ
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'm going to be buying a lot of Gundam, especially X. Guess I'll hold off on Turn A seeing as how it'll likely get a BD release down the road.

It's interesting that only the previously unreleased series were announced. I wonder if Wing, G, 0080, 0083 etc are still tied up?

Speaking of Sunrise and BDs, still waiting on Outlaw Star and Escaflowne from Funi...
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Well damn. I might as well fork over all my money to Right Stuf, they have pretty much every Gundam title I want. GG.

Just extra deets on Reconguista's release and maybe 0083 later down the line and I'll be set! I nabbed a new copy of the complete 0080 set at for $30 in May and I was all giddy about it.

Last edited by Angel'sArcanum on Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I already bought the Turn A dvds but I'm interested in knowing if this means they'll start releasing the series on BD following their Japanese releases since stuff like 00, Seed, Wing, 08th MS, etc have already gotten them in Japan. I'd double-dip on most of them.

thekingsdinner wrote:
Yeah I do understand that, I'm just speaking my mind because I've always wanted dubs for all Gundam shows out there, but I guess that's a bit too unrealistic.
Oh well, if I have any spare cash on me I might as well support these releases. Especially Gundam X.

Same here, I really want this one to get one since I loved X. I've wanted to own Gundam X for a long time so I'll have to buy it either way like I bought Turn A, but I hope they start dubbing these as they get to the newer ones and at the very least as they get to the really newer ones (even if AGE and G-Reco have their problems) and so that any Gundam series in the future will get a dub. I think X being made just after Wing would be a decent time to start being able to dub, but since they didn't do one of Turn A I guess it's sadly probably still too old.

I'll also be interested in getting ZZ, V that we've never gotten releases of before.

MadHi wrote:
I hope they make them region-free and I hope all remaining sub-only series finally get English dubs. Especially X.

Edit- I hope they bring all the Gundam series on blu-ray, I don't see Wing, SEED, 00, AGE or any of the Universal Century side stories listed.

This. I'd buy them/double-dip. Hopefully by the time they reach stuff as new as AGE and Reconguista they'd atleast start dubbing too. I totally need the two seasons of 00 on blu-ray, that show was gorgeous.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
Right Stuf I love you.

Will be buying and pre-ordering all these releases. I already got the Turn A DVDs in. Part 1 and Part 2 shipped very early. Both of them are excellent, well packaged, and nice quality. Must be selling pretty good too for the movies to get picked up. Amazing day to be a Gundam fan. Very Happy

I also will be double dipping on the original First Gundam series. I have the original Bandai single DVD releases with only the English dub. Never got around to buying the re-release Bandai did with the included sub track, and I was never going to pay those scalped prices on the bay. Glad I get to upgrade to Blu Ray and get the sub track as well.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
And I haven't even finished rewatching Zeta Gundam on the Bandai DVD sets. I know it'll never happen for a non-Asian release, but I do so wish the original theme songs could be used on the re-release.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
Well, maybe I'll finally be able to bring myself to watch the original Gundam now, but I suspect that I'll end up buying it and then never actually watch much of it. I'd really like to - I've like many of the non-UC series released in the US - but the original Gundam just looks so bad. It's perfectly understandable that it does, given when it came out, but that doesn't make it look good. Regardless though, it's good to see that these series are getting a release in the US (be it a first release or a re-release) - and on Blu-ray no less.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
Wow this Sunrise/RightStuf partnership is turning out quite swimmingly for us North Americans. First they blow us away by offering the Bandai Visual collector sets for ORIGIN and now First Gundam BD boxes. I really hope they put together some packages as nice looking as the Japanese box. Excited to preorder First Gundam and ORIGIN II.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
The first 21 episodes will ship in fall 2015 with English and Japanese audio, English subtitles, and on-screen translations.

That's a big thing. If one doesn't know how to read Japanese, even at the basic level, just having a line - like "exit way" - on the top of the screen with no indication to which of the on-screen texts it translates can confuse those viewers.
rustypwns

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Gundam.

Yes, more please. This anime is larger than life, and has a massive fanbase ranging from UC diehards to AU casuals, BF for the shonens, and remasters for anything in between. There's always room for more gundam.

This definitely looks like AU, but at least it's not a "new mecha anime" from Sunrise that's a blatant rip-off of Gundam but just called something else (I'm talking about you, Valvrave and Buddy Complex.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3