• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: God Eater

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
could not get into this game when i tried it on the psp.. remined me of monster hunter.. hack and slash with giant weapons..etc..

but like .hack/gu.. for games i couldn't finish

watching the anime version of it is another alternative

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I won't dispute that the visual style was "interesting," but as I said in my preview for Prison School, "interesting" does not automatically equate to "appealing."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
@Key It all comes down to tastes. You like vanilla while I like chocolate (unless you actually like a different flavored ice cream yourself). I enjoyed the show and I hope in the near future you might enjoy it, too. If not, well I hope there's something we both could talk about more in depth.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of hoping the "obscene" camera angles stick around, if only because the camera-nestled-between-breasts-pointing-at-face angle was a nice bit of (probably unintentional) levity in an otherwise almost entirely grimdark affair. There was also the amusing little bit about Lenka not being able to use the terminal, of course.

I'm also enjoying the way the story is being delivered even if it is paper thin. I've always had an odd love of rapid, disjointed storytelling.
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Surprised ooooh! eye-candy! omnomnomnom.... yummy! more please! Very Happy

i found the visual style very intriguing. sometimes it's almost jarring, sometimes it's spectacular. definitely interested in checking out more so far.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
While I can understand the SnK comparisons keep in mind that the game came out 5 months after SnK made it's manga debut. The game's production also took several years. So when the game makers made the story, SnK wasn't even out.
That makes me think it's very hard for the story to be a copy of SnK.
It's just this anime came out years after SnK, but the story was made before SnK
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
The art is definitely the talking point after ep1 since the plot revealed so far is nothing new.

What I found interesting with the art was that it seemed inconsistent at times, like there would be shading on someone's face in one shot, then cut away and come back and they wouldn't be shaded like the prior shot. Maybe that's one of the problems they had causing the delay of the premier?

As to the cg, there were definitely a few scenes where their heads didn't quite look attached to their bodies, something I always notice with cg character models. I think the above comparison to exiled from paradise fits well to explain how it looked to me.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Some of the backgrounds are CG renders but the characters are all hand drawn. It's an interesting animation style that I'm not sure will be loved by all.

Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I really like the animation style; as I was watching, I kept thinking that everything looks like an oil painting or something, rather than just drawings. I'm pretty sure it's hand-drawn, considering that the people, weapons and backgrounds look different from the monsters, which are CG.

I think hand drawn elements are overlaid perhaps for deformation keys and in-betweens, and perhaps the hair, but there are signs they use CG characters either as a base reference for 2D frames or entirely in segments (e.g. entire CG body with 2D face and hair elements overlaid) for the action scenes. Ufotable has shifted to using CG, for action but with 2D elements where needed (deformations, hair, etc) for some time now.

See the demo reel for ufotable's digital (CG) team, the scenes they are responsible for (Gardern of Sinners, Black Rock Shooter, Fate series)
https://vimeo.com/77675596

For example, Gadern of Sinners action scenes were entirely CG based. I noticed the difference in animation between the limited frames in mundane scenes and very smooth, high frames in the action scenes and had suspected it before, but the demo reel finally showed concrete evidence of CG use.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Caramichael wrote:
Personnally dropped, I didn't feel like it was going anywhere, only a collection of tropes reused an infinite amount of time. If it was only that, I could still enjoy the execution but I was just bored during the entire episode.

My sentiments exactly...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Z-Raid wrote:
I've never played any of the God Eater games and I know nothing about the series so I don't expect a revolutionary plot or characters or anything like that. But I am expecting at the very least a pretty, well-animated spectacle to entertain me and pass time, and so far, God Eater is delivering on that.

Same here. I'm also liking the visual and sound fx everyone's hating on. I think I actually liked this better than AoT's first episode. It took me nearly a dozen episodes to finally warm up to Erin a little bit, but I like Lenka already. And it's a still a toss-up between Levi and Lindow, though I think Levi will probably end up having more depth.

I think my only serious complaint right now is Captain Cleavage. I like her character, but she's got the Jessica Rabbit problem of being drawn in a way that doesn't quite mesh with her personality. I guess it worked for K (or not) so they saw no reason not to try it again.

@Valhern: I have the impression that the base's security is mainly designed to thwart invading Pokemon, rather than for keeping humans out or in. So as long as Lenka could get past the fire-walls and avoid the main arteries (by running along the bridge supports), there wasn't much in place to prevent his escape. I think it probably won't pay to think too much about the details in this. Wink
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Watching this will be like playing the game again for me (despite I haven't finished it yet; the missions are getting tougher for me).
T.Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
1st episode was promising, hopefully unfotable keeps it up. I liked the unique art style mixed with Fate animation.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I've played the game version and fully finished it. I liked the tough fights, but IMO the story was kinda cheesy and predictable.

Somehow I already got a feeling this show is going to be bad. Maybe it's just me though, since I seem to always dislike anime adaptation of video games, especially those with player-made avatar as main character. And God Eater is no different.

I'll just see how the production team gives Lenka more personality than just being a silent player made avatar, and how they pull off some cheesy scenes like Alisa's past and Soma's romance, without making them worse than they already were. Also, if this anime is going to cover the 2nd installment of the game as well, I think it's still worth my while.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

@Valhern: I have the impression that the base's security is mainly designed to thwart invading Pokemon, rather than for keeping humans out or in. So as long as Lenka could get past the fire-walls and avoid the main arteries (by running along the bridge supports), there wasn't much in place to prevent his escape. I think it probably won't pay to think too much about the details in this. Wink

Alright but it's kind of nonsensical that an army, even a fictional one, is sloppy enough it will let anyone just disobey a superior's orders, I expected them to at least give him a shock in his gauntlet, or some higher up saying "It's fine. Let him go" if that would foreshadow anything. Or some walls appearing and Lenka destroying them.

While we're at it, along with the floppy army setting, it surprised me that there literally was no one to send but the first and strongest squad, maybe it was just convenient, maybe there is a reason for that? The blonde guy is suspicious enough to think that.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why the show picking a " '90s/early '2000s CGI" look on purpose gets so much praise, but oh well. The same happened with the reaction to the animation for Aku no Hana.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12