• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How To Satisfy Your Curiosity About Gintama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xotaku4lifex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I started the series a couple weeks ago actually. Now I'm on episode 65 but with school starting soon and a part-time job, I wonder if I can keep up. I really want to get further into it since I've held it on my "To Watch" list for a long time now. Anime hyper
Suena

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I tried this show a while ago when I was still pretty new to anime. I got through the first few eps, but really wasn't enjoying myself, so I put it aside. I've been thinking I should give it another shot, now that I'm more familiar with anime humor, but I feel busy enough watching other shows. The short list and the recs here look like a good place to start! So thanks! Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, weirdly enough the first dozen episodes really kinda blow for Gintama, and I think one of the first I saw after episode 1 was the Train Samurai. It takes a while to get going, but damn it's a funny show when you know all of the personalities and how they interconnect. The situation of being a futurepast tied to the Edo/Restoration period is almost inconsequential and more of a design choice than anything else. I haven't actually been watching the new season because I'll just be saving them up for a good few marathons.
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Back then, I thought Gintama was just another typical shounen mainstream, with hot headed protag and will-do-anything job, until one of my friend convinced me to try an episode and being a close friend he is, he knew which episode he should pick for recommendation. The one with Madao episode. And that's enough to make me realize I have underestimate this series too high and that the mangaka is a crazy genius.

Madao is my hero.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
razberry_yum wrote:
As Amy mentioned, it's a revisionist history comedy...with about 20% drama thrown in. Basically, what would happen if aliens were to land on Earth in Japan during the age of the samurai. Hijinks ensue.

So, basically, Oh Edo Rocket with almost as many pop-ref gags? Razz Okay, I can CR that.

Point is, the column was preaching specific favorite-episodes to the geek-fans while trying to woo the newbies, and hey, don't forget the newbies are the one who need the story-establishing info first. Basic journalism.
[/spoiler]

It's somewhat complicated, however, very simple to explain the story. We could say it's about a selfish, immature, and adolescent-acting samurai with a serious past running a business called 'odd-jobs' where they basically do whatever the customer asks along with his friends (a boring/standard-looking straight-man & a really strong alien girl).

But to give that kind of synopsis would only be the tip of the iceberg, as it's a huge mix of everything you could imagine. It's a parody, fourth-wall-breaking comedy with tons of hilarious side characters, and physical humor (that crosses the line at many times). It can make seamless transitions to heart-wrenching drama as well. If you like comedy and anime parodies, it's a must-watch (as there's at least one parody or cliche in every episode). Weaved within those comedic episodes are serious arcs regarding Gintoki's past, new characters, or side characters that really hits you in the heart. The article didn't include any of the serious arcs, but I would definitely recommend watching at least one...my favorite being the Yoshiwara in Flames Arc (episodes 139-146) and the Four Devas Arc (episodes 210-215).

But for comedy, you can probably tune in to any of the episodes (including the ones in this article) and pick it up immediately. I personally would put the character intro episodes in the list just so you understand the personality and interactions between each character, but that's just my personal opinion.

Last edited by Ninjajake12 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, weirdly enough the first dozen episodes really kinda blow for Gintama, and I think one of the first I saw after episode 1 was the Train Samurai. It takes a while to get going, but damn it's a funny show when you know all of the personalities and how they interconnect. The situation of being a futurepast tied to the Edo/Restoration period is almost inconsequential and more of a design choice than anything else. I haven't actually been watching the new season because I'll just be saving them up for a good few marathons.

I definitely agree. The first season is explicitly for character introductions...there's not much gut-busting humor, and they rely too much on the alien-invasion 'plot-line' to tell their stories. Once people get past that rough patch of the series, it gets smooth sailing after all the characters are introduced. I'd say it picks up somewhere after the Benizakura Arc.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Suena wrote:
I tried this show a while ago when I was still pretty new to anime. I got through the first few eps, but really wasn't enjoying myself, so I put it aside. I've been thinking I should give it another shot, now that I'm more familiar with anime humor, but I feel busy enough watching other shows. The short list and the recs here look like a good place to start! So thanks! Very Happy

It is absolutely not a good show to undertake if you're new to anime lol. I'd never recommend this as a beginner's show, due to the sheer amount of anime-cliche humor they do and all the parodies. I've watched loads of anime and a variety of genres, and even I still don't understand every single parody or joke. But the more anime you watch, the more humorous it gets, because then you'll understand the jokes a lot more.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Xotaku4lifeX wrote:
I started the series a couple weeks ago actually. Now I'm on episode 65 but with school starting soon and a part-time job, I wonder if I can keep up. I really want to get further into it since I've held it on my "To Watch" list for a long time now. Anime hyper

It only gets better and better! You've made it past the 'intro phase' of the series. I suggest keep forging ahead. I promise you episodes get funnier.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
The Character Poll Arc (episodes 182-184) is one of the best arcs to show a potential fan. The premise is basic (Shinpachi and that Anpan guy) are not satisfied with their rankings on the character polls and someone is mysteriously trying to advance their rank by "taking down" other characters. Most of the main and secondary cast members show up so all their quirks and behaviors are on full display. Not too mention there's some truth to the commentary on character popularity in general like why the two main villains (Kamui and Shinsuke) who rarely appear rank higher than Shinpachi, the third main character, is quite funny.

Two standalone episodes that really made me fall for the series were the first half of episode 37 "People Who Say that Santa Doesn’t Really Exist Actually Want to Believe in Him" and episode 38 "Only Children Play in the Snow". There's something about a buff dude in a reindeer outfit cursing out Santa Claus that really made me laugh my butt off. The latter episode introduced the legendary and formidable weapon which totally does not look like something perverted...
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a good choice of episodes (the last arc you mentioned being my favorite of those). I'd probably also recommend one of the serious arcs (so new fans can get a gauge of both the serious and nonsensical sides of the show) and the character intro episodes.

If I had to select a few episodes not listed here:
Episodes 40-43
Episode 47
Episode 86-87
Episodes 131-134

It's a mix of comedy and serious arcs, though my favorite arc are the ones involved with Tsukuyo and the ones I mentioned in my other posts.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
The Character Poll Arc (episodes 182-184) is one of the best arcs to show a potential fan. The premise is basic (Shinpachi and that Anpan guy) are not satisfied with their rankings on the character polls and someone is mysteriously trying to advance their rank by "taking down" other characters. Most of the main and secondary cast members show up so all their quirks and behaviors are on full display. Not too mention there's some truth to the commentary on character popularity in general like why the two main villains (Kamui and Shinsuke) who rarely appear rank higher than Shinpachi, the third main character, is quite funny.

I second the Character Poll Arc. It's actually a great (and absolutely hilarious) way to get to know most of the characters lol. Though at that point I already knew each character and understood the jokes, so it may not be completely beginner-friendly.
navycherub

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
These are all good episodes, but I think the best way to get into Gintama, or at least the way I did, is to go in chunks between other shows.

-Watch a lot of anime? watch an episode or two of Gintama
-Gintama enters an arc you like? finish that, then go into another anime you are interested in

This process repeats constantly until you are caught up. You are either in an arc of Gintama or are watching some random episode between other stuff you want to watch! And it works better than other "long shounen things" not just because it is good, but because its arcs are short enough - 3-6 episodes so you are done before you feel the need to move on.
AnimusPrime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
Excellent choices. But I absolutely have to add:

Ep. 79: Four Heads are Better than One

This is in the middle of the "Yagyu Kyubei" arc, but the episode stands alone magnificently, without needing any knowledge of the beginning of the arc or of the characters' backstories. The entire episode is about running out of toilet paper. That's it. But they take that premise to its most epic-and-absurd extreme...

Ep. 119: "Within each box of cigarettes are one or two that smell like horse dung"

No pre-knowledge needed. Hijikata is a policeman and likes to smoke. By the way, do you like Dragon Ball Z? Because this episode spoofs DBZ ...HARD

Ep. 216: "I can't remember a damn thing about the factory tour"

What's this episode about? I've seen it three times and still have no idea. But I almost died laughing each time. Again, no pre-knowledge needed, because every character is completely out-of-character for the whole episode. And somehow they manage to spoof Metal Gear and Willy Wonka at the same time... I've said too much
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
Episodes 275-277, the GenderBend Arc was one of the funniest gender bending stories I've ever seen. I had a blast.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:35 am Reply with quote
For me I would recommend serious arc like Benizakura and Yoshiwara arc
as the comedy episodes in Gintama are mostly stand alone, you dont need to be Gintama fan to catch the jokes

Serious arc however make this series a strong point to get hooked, they slipped some comedy in there so it is not totally serious at all, and also
some tear jerker if you want to get emotional(spoiler[Sougo sister's arc])
Gintama isnt your typical shounen type anime Laughing

By the way, I marathoned all episodes of Gintama in 3 months
I dont feel bored at all Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3