• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Sunday's New Editor-in-Chief Promises Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
@Aquamine-Amarine,
"Can you even do something like that? Just randomly decide which manga is going to end?"
Yep the guy has the power. He was appointed the "Big Boss" of the magazine.
Though he would be really retarded to cancel mega popular series. This would just make the magazine less popular and the higher ups would just fire him.

"doesn't the popularity (or lack of popularity) decide which manga continue to run and which ones get cancelled?"

We're talking of Sunday here. Sunday never really worked like Weekly Shonen Jump, the magazine that Bakuman talks about.

Even considering that all magazines in Japan are declining in print numbers, Sunday has been having a really sharp decline.
Sunday went from a print of ~780k copies in 2009 to ~393k in 2015, they lost 49.7%(388,250 copies) of their print in the space of 7 years.
For comparison we have Weekly Shonen Jump that lost 13.5%(377,500 copies) and Weekly Shonen Magazine 30.5%(508,108 copies).
There was a time that Sunday was the third biggest Manga Magazine in Japan and got print numbers of +1M. Right now Isn't even in the top 5(Weekly Shonen Jump, Weekly Shonen Magazine, Corocoro Comic, Weekly Young Jump, Monthly Shonen Magazine).

The magazine really is doing something really wrong, and it needs drastic changes and really fast!
_Archer_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

Even considering that all magazines in Japan are declining in print numbers, Sunday has been having a really sharp decline.
Sunday went from a print of ~780k copies in 2009 to ~393k in 2015, they lost 49.7%(388,250 copies) of their print in the space of 7 years.
For comparison we have Weekly Shonen Jump that lost 13.5%(377,500 copies) and Weekly Shonen Magazine 30.5%(508,108 copies).
There was a time that Sunday was the third biggest Manga Magazine in Japan and got print numbers of +1M. Right now Isn't even in the top 5(Weekly Shonen Jump, Weekly Shonen Magazine, Corocoro Comic, Weekly Young Jump, Monthly Shonen Magazine).

The magazine really is doing something really wrong, and it needs drastic changes and really fast!

It kinda sounds like they're all doing something wrong with those numbers, but volume sales of individual manga still seem to be doing pretty well.
god45

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
man maybe I should move to japan I already got a a lot of ideas for a new series for example the protagonist is blind,his sister is a loli who is mute
and the younger brother,has 4rd degree burn all over his body,he has hoodie to hide his face, their names are Rygart black-throne,Vivian black-throne and Joshua black-throne all three of them lost their parents
in afghanistan and they go back to japan as hitmen the name of this new series black memento mori Wink
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
_Archer_ wrote:

It kinda sounds like they're all doing something wrong with those numbers, but volume sales of individual manga still seem to be doing pretty well.

No, they aren't. The Manga Magazine Industry has been declining since 1995(And I would assume Magazines in general too), for various reasons.

Loosing print numbers isn't the problem, the problem is loosing practically half of it in a decade(given that Sunday printed 1M in 2005, it his more than half, but I don't have precise numbers of that time).

Also comparing it with individual Volumes.
Only One Piece prints more copies than its magazine, WSJump(In all the industry only One Piece and Attack on Titan print more than WSJ and only One Piece sells more).
No title in WSM prints more than it.
3 titles print more than WSSunday(Silver Spoon, Magi, Detective Conan).
god45

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I think the main problem,that nobody wants to admit is that a lot of the stuff in Shonen Sunday is not that good, Japanese people always want something new and fresh,that something authors are just too afraid to do. for example for manga to be interesting it needs to have an interesting,protagonist if the protagonist is not interesting then the manga is not interesting that why the first thing an author needs to do is make a protagonist interesting do something that never bean done with a protagonist if you can do that your the next one piece,believe me
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
It's best to not expect anything big at this point. Sunday has already lost even its loyal patrons due to the fact that they only had Conan, Magi and Silver Spoon as forerunners. There's not enough of a good variety. Despite being a Sunday fan as well, I could honestly say that most of their ongoing series are not even the least interesting or just plainly bland at best. If not for Conan, I think their sales would plummeted them down to bankruptcy...

It would be unreal for them to change their system at this point like the way JUMP or KODANSHA does things. The most feasible action to expect would be a stricter system where they would at least consider cancelling their lowest selling titles given it be written by an unknown rookie or fairly respectable mangaka.

They should really start bracing the notion that even loyalty has its limits, since from an outsider's perspective, Sunday was way too lenient to their writers.
god45

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
It's best to not expect anything big at this point. Sunday has already lost even its loyal patrons due to the fact that they only had Conan, Magi and Silver Spoon as forerunners. There's not enough of a good variety. Despite being a Sunday fan as well, I could honestly say that most of their ongoing series are not even the least interesting or just plainly bland at best. If not for Conan, I think their sales would plummeted them down to bankruptcy...

It would be unreal for them to change their system at this point like the way JUMP or KODANSHA does things. The most feasible action to expect would be a stricter system where they would at least consider cancelling their lowest selling titles given it be written by an unknown rookie or fairly respectable mangaka.

They should really start bracing the notion that even loyalty has its limits, since from an outsider's perspective, Sunday was way too lenient to their writers.
that why I said if the MC is not interesting the manga lose value authors shouldn't be afraid to do new things
1thought

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
He's clearly been hired to try and turn around weekly magazine sales. Just at the end of 90's and year 2000 they had 2 million sales weekly. I don't think they expect to get back to a million but at least 600,000 is probably a goal earlier this year it was announced to be 393,417 current circulation.

They have big hits Detective Conan,Magi,Silver Spoon and all them are outselling the weekly magazine so a lot of readers aren't even buying the weekly magazine and looking at other series. Some smaller hits Hayate,Denpa Kyoshi,Rinne,Zettai Karen Children,Be Blues! - Ao ni Nare

Perhaps offer the Weekly Sunday magazine online free and make a push for tankobon sales instead.

Weekly Shonen Sunday offers it's authors lots of freedom,creativity and not much editor interfering compared to Kodansha or Shueisha.
Series aren't canceled asap. That's an appealing aspect so I don't think that would change but maybe a little.

I assume maybe this new editor will maybe push more Shonen Sunday titles to become anime. So few are made into anime and try to gain attention that way.

When entering various currently running Shonen Sunday series into Amazon Japan a lot of them have 5 star reviews I don't know what there about but obviously people really like them just not getting big sales though.

There are less children in Japan.
Maybe Shonen Sunday is just being forgotten about by today's kids in Japan or ignored. People love the content but it's not hot or big and it's less popular over the years because it doesn't have the exposure and hype of Weekly Jump to always stay hovering around 2 million.

Even Weekly Shonen Magazine sales are dropping. Weekly Magazine is barely over 1 million for the weekly magazine. Shonen Sunday was there in 2006. And Shonen Magazine was at around 2 million then.

And it's hard to get into Weekly Manga when around 20 series are ongoing or deep into their stories. Instead of buying volume 1 or more of tankobons for a series.

Last edited by 1thought on Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:01 am; edited 9 times in total
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if he's planning on ending series, just taking them out of the magazine.

They could continue online, maybe.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
It's all sounds nice in theory, but let's see how the new method will be implemented in practice.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
I'm reading a novel right now whose main character is in almost this exact situation. The heroine of Inui Rokuro's "A Perfect Day for Plesiosaur" is a shoujo manga-ka with a mid-list serial that's been running for 15 years. As the story opens, she's been told to wrap it up; a new EoC has come on to turn the magazine around, and he's axing some tired, mid-list titles to make room for new faces.

Don't know what to say about the Shounen Sunday situation, except that I hope he chooses wisely, and things work out for them. I'm sure he's letting his editors know what to look for.

This was mentioned in Bakuman, but it probably holds true for Sunday as well as Jump: expectations of sales differ according to genre, because different genres tend to plateau at different levels. A gag manga could be considered to be doing well even if its popularity is at a level that would be dangerous for an action/fighting series. The less popular genres aren't going away, though, because they're needed to have a diverse, well-rounded magazine that can appeal to a broad swath of tastes.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
This case of Executive Meddling could go good or bad.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

Can you even do something like that? Just randomly decide which manga is going to end? By what happened in Bakuman., doesn't the popularity (or lack of popularity) decide which manga continue to run and which ones get cancelled?

Bakuman was about Shonen Jump, which, though similar, has a different operating philosophy than Sunday. It tends to focus more on action/fighting manga than Sunday, which historically has been more focused on humor series. Also, Jump is WAY more popular than Sunday's: their circulation is five times higher. Many series that are considered hits at Sunday would be cancelled in weeks under Jump.

With Sunday's sales so low, it might be that the new boss has been given more power than normal in an attempt to turn things around.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
god45 wrote:
I think the main problem,that nobody wants to admit is that a lot of the stuff in Shonen Sunday is not that good, Japanese people always want something new and fresh,that something authors are just too afraid to do. for example for manga to be interesting it needs to have an interesting,protagonist if the protagonist is not interesting then the manga is not interesting that why the first thing an author needs to do is make a protagonist interesting do something that never bean done with a protagonist if you can do that your the next one piece,believe me

I've read more than my fair share of manga where the main character isn't even the most popular character in the series when the popularity poll drops.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2