• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fans Report English Subtitle Issues for Attack on Titan Live-Action Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
Kitsunelaine wrote:
I've been waiting for this day.

First post wins the internet. I just love that Funimation essentially created a new meme by complete accident.
DisneyLM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't be a problem if it was Dubbed like it was suppose to be. How else would you get the Casual Markets Attention. Attack on Titan is still a big thing, and the YouTube Reaction Channel's Video of Kids or was it Teens react to Attack on Titan has close to 5 Million Views, new comers who are Casuals that only watch Dubs are getting into Anime Dubs, and this Movie could have further the Casual Market that close to all business in the world go for. It's the Casual Market that will always go for Dubs if it's going to get there attention have have there Parents sit through the movie like with Disney Films. Who in America would see a Disney Film Non-English? Defiantly not Casual Markets (The ones that bring in the money) If, and when we get Casual Markets to finally get into Anime, we will see Sub Purists begin to complain just like how Comic Book fans get pissed that the Movie version had loop holes, but the Casual Market doesn't give a crap, so long as it's dubbed. Get this movie dubbed, would have been a perfect opportunity to head to Live-Action Dubbing for often.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
DirtyCircle wrote:

It was hard to appreciate and enjoy the "Do you not like single mothers?"-scene (amongst others) when you have inconsiderate jerks having to exclaim, "Ah, hell no!" and keep questioning for the appearance of Levi. (I personally never understood the like for him anyways.)

Now I'm somewhat tempted to go see it just to yell out "Levi is not in this." Right before the movie starts and hear the outbursts. Anime hyper
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
rather it would be the distribution company they hired.

Who's fault is it for hiring them?

Quote:
It could be old firmware in certain theaters that couldn't handle the soft-subs, or it could be some non-standard encoding that the distro-used,

And who's fault is it for picking said theaters without checking their equipment?

Quote:
but it seems a stretch to blame funimation directly for it...

Just like a graphic designer or film editor, you have to check to see if majority of any equipment you desire for it to playback on is able to properly play them. And it seems the theaters and Funimation didn't have a lot of cooperation to find or emulate this issue before premiere.

There acting like a game company throwing money at a outside studio for an untested PC port imo.

I think you are overestimating how much direct influence Funimation has on these theater screenings.
There are companies that specialize in these short-run film distros at mainly indie theaters across the country, and Funimation works with those companies to pull off these events. I highly doubt Funimation works directly with any of the theaters, or is even able to choose which theaters it plays in necessarily.

That being said, of course they are responsible for hiring the company doing this theatrical distribution. And the screw-up by them was probably in not checking theater compatibility or perhaps the post-production house that was hired to create the digital cinema package sent to the theater was at fault for producing some kind of faulty master.
I'm just saying this is likely not something botched by funimation employees, it's a screwup by someone farther down the line towards the theatrical distro.
I mean continuing your logic isn't it REALLY the fault of the Japanese for licensing the theatrical rights to Funimation? That's silly.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
DisneyLM wrote:
Wouldn't be a problem if it was Dubbed like it was suppose to be. How else would you get the Casual Markets Attention. Attack on Titan is still a big thing, and the YouTube Reaction Channel's Video of Kids or was it Teens react to Attack on Titan has close to 5 Million Views, new comers who are Casuals that only watch Dubs are getting into Anime Dubs, and this Movie could have further the Casual Market that close to all business in the world go for. It's the Casual Market that will always go for Dubs if it's going to get there attention have have there Parents sit through the movie like with Disney Films.

This is Live-Action though... I don't know anyone who wants to go see an English dub of a live-action foreign film. If anything, I think they would probably lose more people. My friends and I wouldn't have tickets to go see it if it was dubbed, that's for sure.

Quote:
It's the Casual Market that will always go for Dubs if it's going to get there attention have have there Parents sit through the movie like with Disney Films. Who in America would see a Disney Film Non-English?

A movie like this would never get the attention of casual fans, to begin with. And this isn't a children's movie at all. Who the hell would take their kid to see this is in the theater?

Who in Japan would go see an American film non-Japanese? Oh, that's right. Almost everyone in the country! American's can do it just as easily, and in my experience, if they are interested in a foreign film, they will.

Last edited by relyat08 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
@bs3311: Going by your logic, if Lil' Timmy threw his baseball through a glass window, then technically it would his Dad's fault for buying him the baseball. Rolling Eyes
Freyanne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

A movie like this would never get the attention of casual fans, to begin with. And this isn't a children's movie at all. Who the hell would take their kid to see this is in the theater? .

Considering that I often see parents taking their little kids (or bringing their kids because they couldnt get a babysitter) to see movies they really shoudn't be seeing (I lost track how many uninformed parents I saw taking their kids to go see that Chappie movie some months back), I wouldnt be surprised at all if parents, who didn't know anyabout AoT beforehand, took their kids to see this movie, language barrier/subtitles aside.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:
another reason why i love dubs, i hope funi dubs this like viz did with the death notes films

Dubs of anime are one thing but I don't understand how anyone would want to watch a dub of a live action film.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Dubs of anime are one thing but I don't understand how anyone would want to watch a dub of a live action film.

Some of them honestly aren't bad. I know some of the live-action films that FUNimation dubbed in the past were actually pretty good.

And even when they are bad, like with cheesy martial arts movies, a lot of times they're still really funny and entertaining to listen to.

Case in point, I would never watch something like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon dubbed, but I thought the dub for Iron Monkey was hysterical.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

So you can enjoy watching the movie without having to read everything and having the sub titles clutter up the screen.
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
There is no way Funimation would be able to do that.

Most of the showings are at independent theaters.

There are only 300 theaters, that's a cakewalk.

samuelp wrote:

I'm just saying this is likely not something botched by funimation employees, it's a screwup by someone farther down the line towards the theatrical distro.

The subtitle issue has happened with current simulcast shows. And for them to not think about this issue is still the fault of not only the movie distro staff, but Funimation themselves. A film/audio engineering front for licensing Japanese titles that picked people without looking into there skills, communication or knowledge about simple theater tech that they can learn from the end of highschool and onward.

Quote:
I mean continuing your logic isn't it REALLY the fault of the Japanese for licensing the theatrical rights to Funimation? That's silly.

That's a great idea. Funimation should deserve a timeout from licensing anime a bit while the Japanese find better people.

Quote:
Going by your logic, if Lil' Timmy threw his baseball through a glass window, then technically it would his Dad's fault for buying him the baseball.

That's a shallow allegory, how bout something with Lil' Timmy shooting a non-threat with a gun his daddy assumed he was old enough to use. Or better yet breaking cause he had his, "pride an joy." lenses on thinking he could do no bad. Never did I say that JUST the company is to blame.

Give criticism where criticism is due.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

There are only 300 theaters, that's a cakewalk.

Pray tell, explain how Funimation is going to do that.
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

CO-MMU-NI-CATE. Or hardsub the stinking thing and ship em out.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

CO-MMU-NI-CATE. Or hardsub the stinking thing and ship em out.

And they did, I saw you commented on the follow up so I'm just responding to people who might not have seen it.

Funi told the theaters there was a problem and even told them how to fix it, it was the theaters who dropped the ball in this case.
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

And they did, I saw you commented on the follow up so I'm just responding to people who might not have seen it.

Yes, but this was a follow up question to how Funi can do it with less distribution companies. There comment implies that they are taking the bullet and their action is too hardsub copies of the film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3