• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Unsympathetic Illustration of Refugee Sparks Uproar in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I chuckled a bit honestly, but then I'm of the opinion that you can make a joke out of anything, even if you personally don't agree with the message, and I'm not easily offended.

At least she isn't holding a badly concealed weapon behind her back and wearing a suicide vest while a bored looking customs official says "Okay, everything seems to be in order...". This would be tame compared to that.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Beyond the politic of the subject matters (large amount of young educated people willing to work and who will most likely vote for the party that let them in for the rest of there life and lower the average working age of the population, how can you say no to that?) I rather like the drawing in and of itself. The expression on her face Is interesting.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Botan_TM wrote:
Blackiris_ wrote:
Botan_TM wrote:
Those people are mostly picky as hell.

How many of them have you talked to, if I may ask?

Because there is no media and statistics, I have to talk with each one? Rolling Eyes

No. But I assure you it gives you a better picture of what many of these people have been through than any kind of statistic.

Though, of course I agree that those people are not the only one in need of help. In general I wouldn't mind seeing wealthy countries do more for poor countries.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
@Utsuro no Hako: Yeah, because the corruption in Latin-America, the crime and the poor economy of Venezuela is *all* our fault. Wait a minute. No it isn't. It's the fault of these countries. Whatever the US has done in the past or even now, it is merely a symptom. Foreign policy is not an excuse for countries to neglect their own citizens or failing to invest. I'm not saying foreign policy is perfect, but foreign policy is by no means the only factor in these issues. Most of Latin-America's problems are self-imposed. Also, the Middle-East has been unstable since the emergence of Islam, more than 1000 years before the existence of any country called the United States of America and more than 1000 years before most modern European sovereign states. Just saying.
otagirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I, like many, suspect that a lot of so-called "refugees" are simply just opportunistic migrants, probably including terrorists, taking advantage of the situation.
It's true that many are fit young men, and some families have even paid a fee of thousands of dollars to be smuggled or "guided" to Europe. Since when have refugees ever chanted en-mass things like "we have rights", "open up the borders" etc etc. These are more like demands rather than a cry for help.

I'm not against foreign aid, but while an invite for a continuous Exodus may sound like a lovely humanitarian cause, it's obviously not a long-term solution.
Here in UK we have more and more people on the streets, and families having to rely on food banks on a daily basis. I say we freakin look after our own first.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The real refugees are still down there in the mud. The people who are arriving in Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, UK etc, are crossing multiple safe European nations without applying for asylum there. They are not refugees, they're economic migrants.

They arrive at the borders without any ID, but they've got $100+ shoes, nice clothes and iPhones equipped with selfie-sticks.

A few days ago a group of 40+ Iraqis decided to leave Sweden to go back to their home country because "they were treated better there". For several weeks in a row now Sweden has time after time broken its own record in how many refugees are arriving & seeking asylum. This has meant that refugees are no longer guaranteed apartments or secluded rooms but have to share their living space with other families.

Apparently food, water, medical treatment and a roof over their heads isn't enough.
Botan_TM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:

Though, of course I agree that those people are not the only one in need of help. In general I wouldn't mind seeing wealthy countries do more for poor countries.

That's obvious I guess. And discussion in what way it should be done in order to get the best results could be day long discussions. Just dropping food and bombs on dictators don't really helps in removing a source of problem, but only calm down rich countries conscience, helping in developing and creating a law-abiding educated society plus investing in order to create jobs should be more effective I think.

Last edited by Botan_TM on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I think regardless of your views on the refugee situation, it's fairly exploitative to use imagery of children to illustrate blanket negative opinions about displaced peoples. If you have suspicions about the "young adult males" trying to game the system, then use them in your illustrations. Using imagery of children makes it out like these people are self-serving snakes from an early age, which really does come across as racist (as an aside, I've had the unfortunate experience of talking with racist Japanese exchange students here in the US, so it seems xenophobia is still a thing over there).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Xenophobia: still a thing, apparently.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I knew better. I knew better than to read the comments, and yet...here i am, increasingly sad at humanity.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Xenophobia: still a thing, apparently.

No it isn't. To be honest, who knows the motives of these refugees? Even Islamic State said they would bring in "refugees" and attack European countries. A lot of these people aren't even Syrian. A fair critique is not xenophobia at all. Japanese people don't fear or hate Arabs. They don't know enough about them.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
No, letting in refugees from war-torn countries is not a long-term solution. But then neither is placing a battered wife in a safehouse. But you know what it is in both cases: a pretty humane temporary one.
And we can debate on who was responsible for the political instability in those regions in the last millenia till we are blue in the face, the question is how to mitigate instability now.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
This is gonna be like 20 pages isn't it? 17 more pages of people comparing poor refugees to not poor refugees and while claiming to be sympathetic, they will decry ALL refugees because SOME OF THEM are "ruining it" for the refugees they were claiming to hold sympathy for in the first place....

....wut?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
I knew better. I knew better than to read the comments, and yet...here i am, increasingly sad at humanity.

Y'know, I honestly, honestly thought the comments would be better than they are.

Reading these has been uncomfortable.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Yeah, it's very easy to say that "refugees or immigrants "just want to take our money" when you've had the luck to be born in a wealthy country. Most people forget, though, that these people didn't decide to be born in a poor, war-torn or politically instable country. Locking those people out just to protect your own wealth is selfish.

Japan will have to take accept more people from outside before long. The population is shrinking, the birth rates are heavily declining, the percentage of aged people is reaching a critical level and the country has still not really accepted that woman can be fully-fledged workers, too.

And guess what, when Japan direly needs people to care for the elderly and stuff, it certainly won't be educated and wealthy Westerners that are interested in doing these jobs.

I tried. I really tried not to comment. But the amount of trash (to use a more polite term) spoken about this issue is off the charts. I'm gonna speak as a citizen of one of the receiving coutries (Portugal).

1 - To all of those speaking trash about the refugees and their motives, I invite you to go live in a war-afflicted country partially taken over by the largest funamentalist plague of the last decades. and partially controlled by a tyrant. I mean sure, people must choose to be poor, or be bombed, or to die in the sea, or starve in borders, right? (Intense Sarcasm Warning - I could NEVER take such pathetic arguments seriously)

2 - Paradoxally. my country is taking in refugees without giving a darn about the Portuguese people. I myself live a far-from-decent life. So yeah, I am angry. I am in favor of taking in refugees, but I think the state had to worry about its own people as well. I don't know if any other European on this forum feels the same.

3 - Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are opportunists and dangerous people among the refugees. That's what you get when hundreds of thousands of people come in: A variety of people. Does that give me or anyone the right to mock the suffering of decent people? No, Hell no. Mock your own suffering if you must.

4 - Japan is ''doomed'' to become a more open nation, an more people than one would think know it and accept it. Speaking of that, does anyone remember the multi-ethnic Mega-Tokyo of Bubblegum Crisis?

5 - I think we should never expect anything intelligent from a woman who mocks raped korean women.

PS: Am I the only one who feels sorry for that image being used this way? I actually like the style.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6