• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are There More American Otaku Than Japanese Otaku?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, that's 700k in a market of what, like a billion or more between most of Europe, North/South America, Oceania, and parts of Non-Japan Asian?
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
these numbers can be hard.

I know a guy that will rant to you that no one understands that Otaku doesn't mean what we think it means. I keep wanting to ask him if he ever studied the language (he hasn't) so he can back up his claim. He is, btw, Otaku, by every meaning meant for a person. Even with multiple beings of Otaku, he'll deny it.

Yet he also never buys anything - So you can't count him via sales. I can't remember the last time he streamed a show. He sometimes torrents shows, as he doesn't watch a whole ton - and its never the popular show of the season. I feel there are many like him, and that makes counting the total to be rather impossible.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't think we'll really ever have any way of knowing how many anime otaku are in either country. Even in Japan, many people that become anime fans on one instance may eventually lose interest and move on in the next.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
Until major American cities get their own equivalents of Akihabara, Den-Den Town or even Otome Road... I would have to say no.
There's two major problems with that proposition:

A) The population of Japan is incredibly compressed, to the point where most of it is capable of taking a simple train ride to those places(Honshu's only 88 thousand square miles and has 80% of the population); the US population is incredibly spread out, with the two most populous states each being vastly larger and having less than three quarters the population combined.

B) American fans are cheap to the point of being downright niggardly in comparison to their Japanese counterparts. You know how everybody bitches about Aniplex of America and Ponycan's pricing? That's half off the going rate in Japan, yet it's treated as highway robbery here.

Between these two factor's there's just not the money in otaku holy grails in America. If they weren't true - if the US had a dense population and the Aerican otaku were willing to spend more - we could easily see crap like shamelessly authentic flourishing, but they never will in reality land.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
There's two major problems with that proposition:

Don't shatter my dreams.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
#837783 wrote:
Related to this is the 700k paying monthly subscribers of Crunchyroll. Admittedly thats worldwide (well aside from Japan it seems) and is only a slice but thats still quite a lot of non Japanese fans.

But again, Crunchyroll isn't exclusively for anime/manga fans. They also have live-action Japanese and Korean TV shows and some J-pop stuff, too. And there are probably some paying members who just hang out and talk on the forums and seldom actually read or watch anything, because every site has people like that.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
There is no way to tell. Plus, the word "otaku" while related to anime, is applied to other fandoms in Japan. Train otakus are an ever growing group, such as some people will get into the train tracks to get pictures of on coming trains. Fandom in general is so extensive, and anime conventions isn't really restricted to anime products. You will get vendors who sell products that are fandomish but not animeish. You get Star Wars cosplayers at an anime convention and you will get it vice versa at Comic Con. Unless you were to take a poll, you can't really gauge hard numbers. You can really only tell by what people say they do, for right now. And I have seen some pretty hardcore otaku types in the US too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I literally asked almost this exact question, in reference to the size of the DVD buying Otaku market, like, 6 months ago... Confused

Well, I guess it's good to have an answer either way.

I was starting to get the impression that the US market was substantially larger, person to person, than it was in Japan. It's interesting that our sales numbers are that comparable. I wonder what Attack On Titan sold...
krpalmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd been wondering myself about how many people in Japan "just watch anime on TV" as opposed to what the now-familiar disc sale figures make us think; I even submitted an Answerman question about that, but didn't want to keep pushing once it seemed it couldn't be answered... This isn't quite the same question, but it's interesting anyway.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
There's also the fact that people still regularly use video rental stores over there. You can have a guy who owns every Super Robot Wars game but doesn't own a robot show featured because he just rents 'em from his local video joint. I know back in the days of VHS they'd even let customers make copies in the stores, though I don't know if that continued on into the DVD era.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I would say US has the most fans overall, but Japan has the most Hardcore fans
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
This Answerman pretty much boiled down to "I don't know."

Which is the correct answer.
Genos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
First of all, while "otaku" is a term associated with people who like anime and manga, "otaku" inherently does not have to do with anime: you can be an otaku in regards to anything. Second of all, "otaku" is negative because of the negative influence these kinds of fans have on shaping the industries that they are consumers of.

As Americans, we simply do not have as much influence on Japanese pop culture, specifically anime, as the Japanese consumers do. We are less likely to buy merchandise, and are more likely to only buy content that is distributed here in the US (not as a rule, but as a generalization because shipping from Japan, language barriers, disc localization, etc).

Therefore, I think that this question/answer is sort of skirting around an issue that can't really be addressed in the way it's been phrased? If the questioner is asking if America has more anime fans than Japan, that seems to be the actual discussion taking place. But otaku? There are a lot of Americans who are negatively obsessive about particular 'things,' so while we do not have an English word for "otaku" so much as the phrase "obsessive fan to the point of negatively effecting and industry," ... yeah, there are a lot of otaku in America.

By and by, the word otaku shouldn't be thrown around the way it is on these sort of websites; it's basically being used a substitute for "varying degree of anime fan" when it isn't, as a concept, attached to anime. It refers to a systemic problem in Japanese pop culture industries that, as an anime fan, it's kind of annoying to be lumped in with.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
Manga sales (2010)

US: 12 million volumes
Japan: 1.7 billion volumes and magazines

I still would guess there are more Otaku in Japan. Laughing The US has "anime" fans but in Japan Anime is only a way to advertise a manga, it's just a side media product and not thr main course. The core element of otaku culture is Manga itself. Anime is an American thing: it is the way Americans consume manga.

Fans of animation in particular are called "aniota" and it's indeed a possibility that there are more aniota fans in the US than in Japan though. But certainly not more manga otaku: Manga fans are obviously much more numerous in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zmx2513

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or are the questions on this panel getting really unintelligent these days?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3