• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haruchika – Haruta & Chika (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:29 am Reply with quote
Haruchika- wow, it's like if Toradora had a love triangle where...

Right, it did and that one was plausible as I'd say the teacher's reaction in the first episode should have shot down both their expectations from the start. So what's different?

Scooby Doo mysteries- or that silly puzzle series, it's that one, isn't it?-, an entire series about bringing the band together spread over one season in a year and a half show time and a Haruhi Suzumiya stand in as the lead.

It looks nice. Wait, does that need a question mark? It'd be better if the two were after a fellow student so it could at least gain traction in the show's timeframe. It'd be better if the band needed a new member or two rather than everyone we saw in the opener, meaning "OMG, there's our season" combined with the idea that everything has to have some sort of puzzle behind them...

It looks nice? Yeah, that does work better.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Not a fan of this show's themes yet but I'm starting to like Chika more with her role from this episode. The performance was better than I had expected as I kept my expectations low before they went on stage.

Hope it can build from this momentum as I didn't think the first two episodes were impressive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I will say that I the play I did not consider that "Wan" could also be used as a Chinese sounding name. And also did not come to mind the one child policy that was in effect until recently.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I will say that I the play I did not consider that "Wan" could also be used as a Chinese sounding name.
Wan is a real Chinese name (the link to the actual surname page gets broken up for some reason, so I'm linking to the disambigustion page instead), but in Japanese transliteration ワン far more often refers to the more common surname "Wang" (they're transliterated the same because Japanese doesn't distinguish between syllable-final n and ng in modern Mandarin pronunciations). I can't check right now, but I'm pretty sure that in the episode they specified the character 王, which corresponds to "Wang"
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Haruta's sister is awesome (with some crazy driving skills). I think the show still hasn't forgotten about its musical themes yet either.

Not sure how I feel about the whole piggybank house stuff or Christmas themes. That felt kinda unusual.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Lol at Haruta's personal Christmas miracle.

He'd better be getting free rent for as long as he wants to stay there.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
He'd better be getting free rent for as long as he wants to stay there.

I imagine he would at least get the fairly low rent they put up because they were desperate due to the ghost rumours.

I kind of liked what we saw of Maren's parents, they had a sort of western feel to them without being too crazy.

An alright episode, the mystery did not really feel forced, I have been fairly surprised that the show has been managing. I think it is kind of cute when Haruta gets excited about the teacher along with Chika, even if it wrong to think anything would come from it, they are teens.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I got mixed thoughts on the latest episode.

Akari is cute but the story feels blend about the grandfather. The part about the elephant was somewhat interesting to me though. Guess we might see her as part of the regular supporting cast from now on, maybe. The whole mystery part didn't seem interesting to me though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I liked the mystery. It seemed unassuming, but I did figure it out that he spoiler[was drafted into the Vietnam war] shortly before the show spelled it out, at least seeing where it was going.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't actually ring true. Foreign nationals had ample warning of being subject to the draft to leave the country. Davy Jones of the Monkees being a famous case in point.

While I won't say there were no elephants in Vietnam, they are not something you would automatically associate with the place. Also they would not have sprayed the same area three times.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
That doesn't actually ring true. Foreign nationals had ample warning of being subject to the draft to leave the country. Davy Jones of the Monkees being a famous case in point.

He didn't leave, he fasted and lost enough weight before the physical that he failed the weight requirements for his height (he was probably used to such tactics from being a jockey). But it's true that when a man applies for a resident visa he has to acknowledge that he understands he's eligible for the draft if he's here longer than six months. At least that's how it was when there was a draft. I think you still have to register, even without one.

What I'm pretty sure is wrong is that people on tourist visas got called up. That was just weird.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote
Also, the child the grandfather left behind would have been born in early 1967. The girl we see here is in middle school and probably about 14 being born about 2002. Not impossible but something of a stretch.

Considering they were not directly involved, Vietnam shows up surprisingly often in anime. Blood+ and Black Lagoon to name two. The grandfather would have been a contemporary of Dutch from BL amazing how age effects people differently.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Add Young Black Jack to your list. That's two in just the past six months. I wonder what's driving anime's sudden interest in that time and place?

As for Dutch, he would only have been in his 50s when the manga came out, and given his lifestyle he's unlikely to live to see his 70s, so it's sort of an unfair comparison. Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The Black Lagoon manga is still coming out. Cool At one point Dutch makes reference to the battle of Keh Sanh as if he was there. That means he should be 65 or 70 now. Not impossible for a active individual.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how I feel about this week's episode. The comedy felt awkward but I did kinda like Serizawa's role. And there's also the music vibe again rather than just mystery. The hearing aid stuff didn't interest me much though but what I find most amusing is Chika and Serizawa's relationship in the episode.

Lol, Chika really wants new members for the club, like badly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3