• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ajin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Finally new material not from the movie next week. I can't wait to see how that turns out. Kinda skimmed over the Satou battle this week since I've already seen it once before but it's just as violent as expected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote

Less of Nagai this week and viewers instead get an insight into what drives Tosaki to execute his actions and plans. Frankly his need for money and his use for it don't really soften his character or make him more sympathetic, plenty of people in society are just as ruthless and self-centred as he is.

I'm not sure what Tosaki is planning to get out of the professor and I don't know what kind of trump card he can obtain that will keep him alive (and rich) now that the Prime Minister has cut him off.

Silence of the Lambs reference only works for people who have seen the movie, I unfortunately cannot remember who Murdoch is.

Satou's really planning for a revolution, the scene with SO many Ajin at the Labour Ministry was quite a shock considering how the government only recognises three Ajin on an official basis. Coupled with the trailer for next week, things are starting to heat up very quickly.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Satou came out about him being an Ajin to the public. The online videos surfing around is also causing gossip too.

I find he way he expresses himself to the media to be almost amusing, mostly because of the way he did it. Those Ajins are going to make a big change in this world. I'm also curious to see what the real goal of his plan is. Satou is hardly trustworthy imo but he is definitely a cunning guy. (and sadistic)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Silence of the Lambs reference only works for people who have seen the movie, I unfortunately cannot remember who Murdoch is.

Wrong Hannibal. Smile That was an A-Team reference, quoting their leader John "Hannibal" Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together." H. M. "Howling Mad" Murdoch was the lunatic they kept breaking out of the VA psychiatric ward to go on missions.

This has been so original in most of its elements that I was disappointed that Tosaki's motivation was so cliche. If they want to make him sympathetic or redeem him, just do it with his thoughts and actions.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:

Wrong Hannibal. Smile That was an A-Team reference, quoting their leader John "Hannibal" Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together." H. M. "Howling Mad" Murdoch was the lunatic they kept breaking out of the VA psychiatric ward to go on missions.

This has been so original in most of its elements that I was disappointed that Tosaki's motivation was so cliche. If they want to make him sympathetic or redeem him, just do it with his thoughts and actions.

Thanks for the corrections. Unusual for a cultural reference from that era to make it into an anime of the present time though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
True, but consider who was quoting him. He still dresses like he's from the 20s, so he probably thought it sounded modern. Or it's possible that for some reason he's been out of circulation since then and that's the most recent era of popular culture he's familiar with, or has pleasant enough memories of to use in a joke.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
True, but consider who was quoting him. He still dresses like he's from the 20s, so he probably thought it sounded modern. Or it's possible that for some reason he's been out of circulation since then and that's the most recent era of popular culture he's familiar with, or has pleasant enough memories of to use in a joke.

He's old but not that old. Saitou's clothing would blend in with the Showa era but not the Taisho reign. What I find surprising is Tanaka responding to the reference although it might not be too surprising if he's in his 40s or early 50s and grew up watching the show or hearing about it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote

With the introduction of the new faces, I count at least 10 Ajin in all of Japan as far as the storyline goes.

Nagai Kei continues to be a walking paradox. Given his previous interactions with humans, I expected him to walk away from the old lady. Perhaps his experience with the surgeon who tried to help him seems to have softened his self-centred stance slightly.

The new Ajin (Nakano Kou) looks to be slightly older than Nagai, but he lives independently and has long since figured out he's one of the Ajin. Unlike Nagai, his reactions are more "normal" since he still hesitates at killing himself to get out of a fix. Now that Kei is experimenting with his IBM, it won't be long before Nakano finds him (which the trailer confirms).
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Well that was interesting.

I like how Kei is developing his powers more and more in relations with his Ajin. Cat and mouse game continues with agents dispatched to hunt down suspected individuals. I also hate to admit it but Satou's plan including the usage of media waves (Ajin.net or whatever) is quite clever.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
So is Shimomura like the only female Ajin in the world? Or do women just have the good sense not to show up at a remote location with a bunch of guys at the request of a total stranger?

If the blood on your clothes is yours, why doesn't your ghost gather up all the blood cells when recovering from a death? It doesn't seem like they'd be too far away, as in the scenario Satou painted for Kei re his head.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So is Shimomura like the only female Ajin in the world? Or do women just have the good sense not to show up at a remote location with a bunch of guys at the request of a total stranger?

If the blood on your clothes is yours, why doesn't your ghost gather up all the blood cells when recovering from a death? It doesn't seem like they'd be too far away, as in the scenario Satou painted for Kei re his head.

Having Shimomura as the only female representative makes her the first choice if the humans try to find out what happens when two fellow Ajin copulate. Either way, gender diversity is not a big plus of this series.

Was that how Satou described the way Ajin regenerate? I heard something completely different in that Ajin recover lost limbs, fluids etc. via the medium of the IBM. It doesn't necessarily mean the black ghost needs deployment (Shimomura didn't need hers until she was forced to defend herself against Tanaka's ghost, likewise Satou didn't need much time to recover after shooting himself in the head and cutting off part of his arm).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Satou said Ajin recover by "gathering smaller pieces of their bodies around larger chunks. But pieces that are too far away cannot be recovered, so new ones are created." So if he cuts off his head and keeps his distance, the IBM will create a new head. He also seemed to think that the detached head would still be alive to watch this happen, but I dunno. Would his head also create a new body? Could you end up with two of the same Ajin (externally at least - the brain might be different)? It seems like something Satou might've tried...
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:48 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Satou said Ajin recover by "gathering smaller pieces of their bodies around larger chunks. But pieces that are too far away cannot be recovered, so new ones are created." So if he cuts off his head and keeps his distance, the IBM will create a new head. He also seemed to think that the detached head would still be alive to watch this happen, but I dunno. Would his head also create a new body? Could you end up with two of the same Ajin (externally at least - the brain might be different)? It seems like something Satou might've tried...

You've answered your own question I would think. Ajin suffers injury or death, the IBM mechanism kicks in to replace the losses on the main "frame" of the Ajin in question. No reason for the ghost to collect blood cells a short distance away when it's faster to regenerate brand new replacement cells almost instantaneously and with no penalty as such to the main body in any way.

I doubt the Ajin are like certain types of amoeba which clone themselves when they split.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Nagai Kei reverting to type again. He's learnt quite a bit about human physiology and anatomy in a short space of time too. If Nakano Kou has any chance of getting out of his prison, only external factors influencing the situation will change Nagai's mind.

Interesting that Nakano Kou didn't release his own shadow to defend himself. He's aware of what they are, but does that mean he can't summon his own or has difficulty controlling them? He's likely to be the person in the anorak whom the authorities picked up on the CCTV footage outside the ministry.

Viewers now know Satou is relying on his Yakuza contact for logistics in return for fresh organs. The Yakuza themselves close one eye in return for payment and a good businessman always keeps his word and maintains client confidentiality.

I've got to hand it to Oogura. He's willing to endure bruises, a black eye, possible internal haemorrhaging and broken fingers yet gives it all up when he's given his favourite cigarettes to smoke. What's even more absurd about the situation is the utter lack of communication skill on his part (he could have saved himself all that trouble by explaining what FK was) and Tosaki's very belated understanding as to what Oogura was referring to (Tosaki is likely to be a smoker or ex-smoker or he wouldn't have figured it out).
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Viewers now know the reason behind Satou's reluctance to bring out his shadow on rainy days (albeit unproven from Oogura's supposition). We also find out about the "flood" phenomenon although viewers are only given a glimpse of it through the video.

For someone who's self-centred, Nagai Kei has acting skills on par with Satou's when it comes down to getting what he needs. He thinks he's bought himself time with the bribe, but the old man Kita hasn't been won over and is the most likely to rat him out especially if he finds Nakano confined inside the truck.

Satou's obsession with the A-team once again shows its head here. Even if the authorities put Tosaki's anti-Ajin measures in place, it's the equivalent to stopping a lone-wolf terrorist attack with zero intelligence. To top it off, the PM and Tosaki's ex-subordinate are planning to retire Tosaki once matters come to a head.

Next week looks like things coming to a head with Satou putting his grand plan for "urban redevelopment" in action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9