• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: K-ON! Season 2 Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Do you feel like the show was made for you and you still did not like it?

It's rare when I find a show that is "made for me". Honestly, I can't think of a show off the top of my head that I'd say that about.

And, by what I mean, is that the explanations I've seen about why people like the series...unsure if I can word this well enough. But I'll go ahead anyway. What people say they see in the show, I just don't see them for myself.

It's a strange one, as I do feel like a lot of people have a strong emotional attachment to the series as a whole. So, I can say that I can see why people say they enjoy elements of the show, I guess I just don't "feel it".

Honestly, I don't think further attempts will do any justice for myself. And I think that I'll go in circles...but I'll try to elaborate. Laughing

I guess this is what it basically boils down to - K-ON is a show where, you can tell me what's good about it, but that does not mean I can actually see it when I watch the show.

I've tried it a few times, and I just can't get past the first few episodes. And while some may say that is not enough, there hasn't been many shows where I've struggled through 3 episodes, persisted...and then became a fan of the show.

If I'm not invested in that first hour of material, and that can be anything from finding a character funny to just wondering what comes next, then there's little chance I'll continue.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
@Ali07

There is no need to agonize over this. If you don't enjoy K-On or any other show simply don't watch it. This is entertainment, if you are not enjoying it there is no point in watching.

No show, no matter how well made and no matter how many people like it will appeal to everyone. Even a show that is generally considered a "masterpiece" is useless if you don't like it. If someone really likes a show, it is human nature to want everyone to try it. Because of this some people get a bit out of hand in promoting a show. Don't let them get to you. Your comment that a show doesn't work for you is all you need for justification.

Different strokes for different folks.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
It's rare when I find a show that is "made for me".

I probably should not have used that phrase, but it does seem to have served its purpose.
Thank you for the comprehensive response.

Quote:
... I just can't get past the first few episodes. And while some may say that is not enough, ...

... If I'm not invested in that first hour of material, ...

I agree with you about that.
There has been a time or two when I did ultimately like a show that I had forced myself to watch when I was not enjoying it, but usually it does not get any better for me.
In general I think that it is a better use of my time to move on to a different show that I have more reason to believe that I might like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I do feel that, with certain shows (K-On being one of them), I may try too hard to get into it due to how big it is. I'll leave this one rest though, as I've already tried a few times and it just doesn't click.

I will mention, the last show that I dragged myself through (due to others telling me to do so) was Sound! Euphonium. I felt nothing for it during it's first 3, was about to drop it, friend told me to stick with it...and it wasn't until episode 8 where I can say I actually started to like the show. So I did enjoy the last 3rd of it, but wouldn't consider myself a fan of the show at all.

Though, I am looking forward to its 2nd season, and have a feeling I may like it more than the first.

A show that I dropped, and could not grasp why people enjoyed it, was Umaru-chan. Such an unlikable character, I didn't hate the character...but was pretty close to hate. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2