• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comparing Comedies: Konosuba vs. Dagashi Kashi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Dagashi Kashi as a comedy, in the Western sense, fails so if you're going to put it up to that criteria then of course it would fall short compared to Konosuba which is unabashadly the typical 4th wall slapsticky randumb humor millennials have come to enjoy. DK is by essence a slice of life with an established theme which is Japanese confectionary. Therefore, most of the jokes revolve around it. By that logic, most Westerners end up getting bored while they keep LMAO'ing at Konosuba because it pokes fun of Adventure and RPG tropes which are more universal. DK is an acquired taste which it hopes to grab people by showcasing the appeal of Japanese snacks while Konosuba's purpose is to deconstruct otaku and game culture as a parody.

Really, I think it's unfair to compare the two and the only explanation I can come up to why this article ever came up with is because they're both from the same season.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm just as satisfied laughing with people as at them, but Dagashi Kashi was unbearable.

Episode 3 quite literally put me to sleep.

I've read some chapters of Konosuba, and they were far more engaging.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

Really, I think it's unfair to compare the two and the only explanation I can come up to why this article ever came up with is because they're both from the same season.

The article states upfront:
Nick Creamer wrote:

Both of these shows are a pretty fun time, but you can't really compare the two - even though they're both technically comedies, they have basically nothing in common.

It's about looking at two different types of comedy styles (gentle humor with likable cast vs. sharp humor with at least slightly unlikable people). Konosuba and Dagashi Kashi are used as a springboard to a larger topic about comedic styles and how they differ in structure and appeal. The two are useful because they're both airing at the same time and on opposite sides of the comedy spectrum.
aifhak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Dagashi Kashi as a comedy, in the Western sense, fails so if you're going to put it up to that criteria then of course it would fall short compared to Konosuba which is unabashadly the typical 4th wall slapsticky randumb humor millennials have come to enjoy. DK is by essence a slice of life with an established theme which is Japanese confectionary. Therefore, most of the jokes revolve around it. By that logic, most Westerners end up getting bored while they keep LMAO'ing at Konosuba because it pokes fun of Adventure and RPG tropes which are more universal. DK is an acquired taste which it hopes to grab people by showcasing the appeal of Japanese snacks while Konosuba's purpose is to deconstruct otaku and game culture as a parody.

wasn't the entire point of the article that you can't compare them oO
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, but the comments lead one to believe that Konosuba is the "superior" comedy because it doesn't put them to sleep as someone aptly put.
jtron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Great article. One thing I think is interesting is that neither series is 100% to its extreme - DK has too much wackiness to be pure iyashikei, and Konosuba's got too much of a heart to be a total clown show a la It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. This is what's kept me watching the latter; in shows where everyone's just jerks to each other all the time, it's hard for me to keep an interest.

One thing I haven't heard anyone talking about is Konosuba's terrific ED. Most EDs are disposable entertainment, but this one helps nail down the emotional center of the show - we're watching these four people, all with their own desires and ambitions, go through daily life together, and it's not all battles with giant frogs and dullahans. Most of it's just day-to-day living, and despite their exotic backgrounds - dimensional reincarnate, goddess, magical crimson demon, masochist paladin - they're all regular people who have to live together, and they're becoming an intentional family whether they like it or not.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
p.s. I am watching both shows and I think the cast of konosuba is more likable than those of DK, due to the simple fact that in DK they are friends just because they live near each other, while in konosuba they are friends because "Birds of a Feather Flock Together" although Kazuma will never admit he is an oddball.
Muffum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
KonoSuba and Dagashi Kashi both occupy weird spaces for me within their genres. Usually I love acerbic comedies like the former to death. Two of them are some of my favorite series ever, and even this season I'm enjoying Osomatsu a lot. Meanwhile, I can rarely tolerate warmer comedies like the latter. However, the first episode of KonoSuba was enough to put me off the series entirely, while I've been pretty consistently enjoying Dagashi Kashi since the beginning.

I'm not quite sure why they're such anomalies to me, but I think at least part of it for KonoSuba is the "transported to an alternate world" premise. Obviously it's more a parody of those types of shows than anything, but I enjoy those kinds of shows so rarely that I think it just instantly lowered my potential enjoyment. Even then, most of the jokes in the first episode were misses for me in general, and I don't think there was any real reason for that.

As for Dagashi Kashi, I think I enjoy it because of a contrast between its style of comedy and its goofball characters. As jtron pointed out, it's a lot wackier than a typical show in its genre, but I feel that manifests primarily through characters' individual personalities, rather than in their interactions. I think the contrast between how goofy they inherently are and the relatively low-key interactions and relationships between them enhances the show a lot.
AholePony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad he didn't add in Osomatsu san to this article because I don't find it that funny, but would welcome an opposing opinion on why that show seems to work for others as far as comedy goes. I can enjoy the comedic stylings of the two subject series of this article but osomatsu leaves me cold because I didn't enjoy the sextuplets being so mean to each other.

It may seem hypocritical but I think konosuba walks that line of teasing and/or the straight man being "mean" to someone at least partly because they deserved it. Conversly, I thought several sequences in Osomatsu had the brothers being "mean" to their siblings just because... which made them all look like jerks to me.

...and I like Dagashi because it's cute and at least a little funny. Leaves me feeling good every episode just like a k-on or non non biyori. Surprised
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
To me, Dagashi Kashi is more about the fun facts and the seemingly-average interactions between the characters; I mean, sure some of their personalities are a bit exaggerated here and there, but that's pretty much par-the-course with SoL shows. The show has never made me laugh, or even giggle, but it wasn't boring, either. I like the pseudo-history lessons given by Shidare Hotaru and Shikada Kokonotsu in each episode, and it feels that, opposed to most anime adaptation, where they aim for the viewer to buy the source material, the objective of the show is for people to learn about their snacks, and maybe buying them, which is nice.

In the other hand, Kono Subarashī Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! is, as noted in the article, more about the situation rather than about the content. And it works for me - the voice acting it just great, with most of the dialog manages to make me smile, and the ever-present, self-aware "I know how other (J)RPG-like worlds are suppose to be, and it doesn't apply here. Why?" aspect of the show helps bringing new comedic material to the figurative table. It's like the creators took Ixion Saga DT and raised it up a few notches.

Both have their pluses and minuses, but between the two, I find myself more eager to see a new Kono Subarashī Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! episode than a Dagashi Kashi one.
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
My sense of humor is a bit cruel, so I tend to laugh at people suffering because their plans went the wrong way or bad things happened to them. So that's probably why I'm loving Konosuba (it's my favorite of the season, not the best though). But I think this types of comedies rely too much in the main characters hijinks and when those are not well handled, they become really boring with time. That's why Darkness is, IMO, the worst part of the show and why Kazuma feels like a real asshole sometimes. But there's something endearing about Megumin: I feel she never wants to be bad with the others (she sometimes try to take advantage of the situation), just tries to do her best to be the greatesr wizard, although that may disturb someone like the Dullahan.

Aqua, on the other hand, is a noisy bitch that makes fun of others and tries to take advantage of almost anything good that happens to Kazuma. And maybe that's why I find hilarious when she fails miserably when happily doing her own stuff or when she acts stupid (I can't get over the toad scene nor her super "party waterworks" power).

It's sometimes hit or miss, but most of the things Konosuba has done so far have been very good and worked for me. And it's weird, because I expected nothing about this show. Deen doesn't have a reputation for doing flashy, well animated shows, and when I found out about this show, I thought it was going to be another SAO-like battle show with very bad art and animation.

On the other hand, I was expecting a lot from Dagashi. It's sad that I dropped it after episode 4. As it was so based on candy fin facts that I don't even know, every single thing Hotaro said flew over my head, leaving me thinking if that's a real joke or not. And as far as I saw it, neither of the charactera felt endearing to me. Maybe, if Nick keeps saying good things about the show, I'll watch it again. But it's unfortunate, because I really wanted to like it.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Glad I'm not the only one who prefers Konosuba to Dagashi Kashi. Before I watched the two shows I honestly thought Dagashi Kashi would be the one I liked and Konosuba the one I hated because the latter looked like sh*t. But instead I also dropped DK after one episode because it seemed to put all it's humor fuel into the "Manic Pixie Dreamgirl" trope, (Look how random and waaaacky she is!) which I've always hated even when it was in style. Combine that with knowing nothing about Japanese candy, and I couldn't wait for the credits to roll.

Konosuba though continues to surprise me by being consistently funny, and almost every episode I have a big dumb grin on the whole time. I think another part of what makes the show work is that the people creating it seem to be having as much fun making it as we do watching it. The voice cast is clearly having a ball, and though the animation is bad it almost feels deliberately bad, and I think everyone expecting it to look like crap gives the animators more artistic freedom since they're not paranoid about having everyone on model at all times, and you end up with some occasionally brilliant animation. (like the ever famous obscene hand gesture. Hands are horrible hard to draw in general and that was just...*mwah* amazing.) Also, the cast just works well together, is likable and believable. Anime sometimes annoys me with its squeaky clean unbelievably pure tea-and-cake munching doe-eyed moe girls who don't know nutin' 'bout the outside world, it's nice to see some anime girls being allowed to be flawed, dumb, bitchy, over-dramatic, horny, and FUNNY.
I can totally see Konosuba rubbing people the wrong way though. The humor can be downright mean at times. But I like it a lot.
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE Dagashi not because of its humor, but childhood nostalgia, and I think that's the main point point of the show, the dagashi or cheap candies for kids. Some of the candies and games on that show are similar with what I tasted/experienced in my childhood, despite I'm not living in Japan. The money used to buy those candies usually didn't come from allowance but the change you get from buying things that your parent order you to buy on the nearest store/market, and being typical asian parent, they already calculate the price of each items on the list with the money they gave you so that the change is only enough to buy cheap stuff -and there are a lot of kind of them so you have to choose. This vexing experience is annoying but it becomes nostalgic later when you becomes adult and with your money you could have buy all of them, but its just not the same experience. I don't know if there's an equivalent of dagashi in western culture.

As for Konosuba, I guess the humor juts doesn't match with my taste, or probably because I don't play much MMORPG so there's not much I could relate. Interestingly, I love Grimgar because its like a toned down version of Game of Thrones.
Daniel Dormer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Cringed through dagashi ep 1 and dropped it after the second one. Konosuba however has me rolling every Wednesday and I look forward to it. It doesn't feel forced or anything and it feels relatable to me and my irl friends. Naturally if one of us does something stupid that blows up in our face, we are going to laugh and make a mockery of it and I find that in this show and this is why I think Konosuba is way better.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
At least Dagashi Kashi has some attractive designs compared to the KonoSuba's tasteless fanservise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3