• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Parasyte -the maxim- Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Responder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
art and animation are both polished throughout?

I agree. The CG on walls and especially people was grating to the eyes, and the designs for the characters felt exceptionally mundane, especially in comparison to Terror in Resonance. Story-wise, this is definitely the stronger half, but I do feel the use of the "Woman in the fridge" trope was far too frequent and lost its impact later on, when Spoiler died. To me, this felt a bit like an ultra violent OVA from the 90s, just with a bit more sophistication (the villains aren't very good, though).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I've been greatly enjoying the series on Toonami, and I can't wait to see how it wraps up. It amused me that the show was placed immediately after Akame ga Kill on the lineup, since the two formed a fantastic juxtaposition: "Hey look, here's a show with extreme violence that actually has me giving a shit about its characters!" Amazing what little things like competent writing and direction can do, isn't it? I can't say that I've had Nick's rather visceral reaction towards the music, since aside from a downbeat keyboard piece that plays during some of the emotive moments I honestly can't say I recall any of it in particular. Well, let me add one glaring exception: that OP theme is pretty much an auditory abortion. Other than that, it's a very enjoyable watch, Migi most of all: he/she/it is a wonderful mix of adorable and terrifying.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Laughing This was an amusing read for some reason. I agree with most of it pretty perfectly, I guess. The line about the fights being "tentacle spam-fights" was pretty on-point. I was really frustrated with that. And to think, some people were using those as examples of good animation! Rolling Eyes
Otherwise though, yeah, the character animation was pretty solid for most of the first half.
The biggest point of dissent is the music. I actually love it. It's certainly for a very specific audience, but I guess I'm one of them. I went as far as importing the OST!

Last edited by relyat08 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dayblack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Responder wrote:
Dayblack wrote:
art and animation are both polished throughout?

I agree. The CG on walls and especially people was grating to the eyes, and the designs for the characters felt exceptionally mundane, especially in comparison to Terror in Resonance. Story-wise, this is definitely the stronger half, but I do feel the use of the "Woman in the fridge" trope was far too frequent and lost its impact later on, when Spoiler died. To me, this felt a bit like an ultra violent OVA from the 90s, just with a bit more sophistication (the villains aren't very good, though).

The story also has problems, it is fighting Shinichi bad turn. And the romantic relationship between Murano and Shinichi is not credible.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
While Parasyte does have some flaws, it is one of the more superior shows on Toonami.

It was very enjoyable and more importantly, it kept me really interested in seeing the next episode.

Watching Parasyte and Kill la Kill reruns are my must sees on Saturday night.
Khooni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:49 am Reply with quote
The music added awesomeness to the fight scenes! But I'll admit that no. of tracks are quite low for something that's 25 episodes long
Responder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
The story also has problems, it is fighting Shinichi bad turn. And the romantic relationship between Murano and Shinichi is not credible.

I agree. Their romance is among the worst in anime I've ever seen. Murano seems to hurt him more than provide anything substantial.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
Not many shows manage to persuade me to quit when there are only two episodes to go, but I finally decided that I had had it with Parasyte. The laborious battle at Tokyo city hall was gratuitously violent but goes nowhere. How are things any different afterwards than they were before? Just more humans and Parasytes dead, but the balance of power hasn't tipped one way or the other. The war with Parasytes is just a grueling battle of attrition; the violence is more patronizing than disturbing. The corny speech given by one suspect about the true nature of relations between the two species almost made me roll my eyes. I could no longer believe that this series would ever reach a climax and conclude in a rewarding manner. No, since it hasn't managed to be particularly rewarding at any point thus far (except the opening episode), it will just sputter out sooner or later. This show seems to be running on a treadmill, always moving forward yet never getting anywhere. Little things happen, but nothing big does. Maybe we'll be expected to watch a sequel series, but I had had enough already. Perhaps other than the strange premise, the effect of which had largely worn off before long, this show just didn't have much to offer.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
My husband and I have been watching it on Toonami, and so far we really enjoy it. Is it something we might pick up on Blu-Ray in the future? Eh, dunno yet, but it is an enjoyable series for us. He has some reservations about the opening theme song at times (depends on his mood), but we both agree the music adds a good touch to the fighting scenes. Although, in my husband's case, the music used is exactly what he enjoys on a daily basis. Razz

I haven't been a fan of most of Sentai's dubs, but I thought the dubs for Parasyte (and Akame ga Kill!! that ran earlier on the block) is pretty good. Perhaps my perception stems from not hearing the original Japanese sub, but still... I like it.

I'm not going to be sad about it ending its run on Toonami when it does in the next two weeks (unlike how I was with the ending of Michiko & Hatchin), but I can definitely say it was a fun ride and glad I saw it. Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Only got half way through Parasyte before giving up. First impressions were good. Then they decided to have the first hint that Shinichi's hand was possessed by having it grab Satomi's boob (FUUUUUUUUUDGE!) Then the atonal fart noises that some people call dubstep & drum & bass happened. Then they decided to that the parasyte would turn Shinichi into a ripped as fudge gloomy badass. Then they made a half arsed effort to have Satomi repeatedly say "you've changed, Shinji-kin" except for the time he leapt out of a third story window & over a fence to save her, whereupon all she had to say was thanks. I called it quits when suddenly psychic girl had the naked on a unicorn dream & promptly spoiler[went all Gwen Stacey on us so Shinichi could have another dead woman to mark the latest step in his journey to becoming the ultimate parashite]

Futurama did it better.

Yeah, but much of that stuff was in the manga. It took a longer time to get to it. But the anime's pacing might be the overall pacing. The manga is better but that may still depend on anyone's overall take on it.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I figured someone was going to bitch about the English dub. Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:

Why wouldn't I bitch about an aggressively lifeless dub filled with bland, awkward, and stilted acting?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Parasyte on Toonami and it's been a pretty good watch so far. I agree with the review in that some of the arcs are good and some are not so good. The first half of the show had me hooked just because the director was really good at slowly revealing all these mysteries.

Then around the halfway point, I felt like the story was jumping back and forth between all these sideplots, like with Ryoko or that detective dude and it felt like the story was going in circles. On top of that, Shinichi's classmates basically disappear from the show about halfway through and the romance aspect was terrible. They spoiler[kill off Kanna] and Shinichi basically shrugs it off after an episode, good for Murano I guess.

Parasyte is a pretty looking show too. The animation in the fight scenes basically have the same problem as Dragon Ball. The whirling blades look cool at first but then you realize it's same animation loop being used over and over. I still think it looks cool, though.

I have to agree with penguintruth on Shinichi's english VA. He sounds bored half the time. Otherwise, the rest of the dub cast was okay at best. Interestingly enough, I thought all the old dudes gave pretty good performances, lol.

Nick Creamer wrote:
Parasyte's music choices could be charitably described as “misguided,” but would be more accurately described as “abrasively bad.”

Ouch!, a comment on the music, though. I listen to drum and bass (DnB) and (some) dubstep and the music track that everyone is thinking about is actually more DnB than dubstep. The beat is a little too fast for dubstep, and the only dubstep-sounding part is a toned-down version of the infamous bass wobble sound. To quote a British guest from an old ANNCast: "Americans don't really understand dubstep"

In the defense of the soundtrack, I think it's a welcome change from all the typical orchestral stuff or the pop-rock you get in the majority of anime.

@Stretch2424, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I thought the where they storm city hall to be quite effective. True, it's a bit over the top with the gore, but for me, I saw that entire scene as asking the question "Who are the real monsters here?" The police/SWAT captain guy, especially. The guy could care les about scientific research or trying to capture them, and he pretty much proceeds to massacre the whole building. I remember that one scene where they mistakenly shoot a normal person, and the SWAT captain is like "oh well, too bad for him". That's pretty messed up.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
One of things I like about the show is the OST. Dubstep or whatever, I really like the music in certain moments of the series. It just somehow fits and unusual to hear. Key moment for me was spoiler[when parasite mom confronts Shinichi in the house.] Never thought to hear such music, but strangely fits and memorial.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Just-another-face wrote:

Why wouldn't I bitch about an aggressively lifeless dub filled with bland, awkward, and stilted acting?

It's not totally devoid of good performances though. Andrew Love is great as Uragami (the serial killer), and I like Jason Douglas as Gotou.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4