• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix Starts Streaming Ajin TV Anime Outside Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud8100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
I don't have a Netflix account but would buy this asap if it was released on DVD. Hope it does well Cool
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:46 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

The problem is, they don't bother doing anything for or with the home video release. For example, while Netflix premiered the broadcast version, every single episode of Sidonia was changed and last episode extended by ~15mins for its home video version and its up to the licensee for that region, such as Sentai, to redub them as far as I know.

Oh, is that true? I didn't realize that there was an extended episode for the HV set and that Netflix didn't dub the extra content. So that was pushed onto Sentai, huh? Interesting. I actually bought that set, so I guess I need to check out the extra length episode.

As far as them having just streaming rights, I'm totally okay with that personally, as long as they do what they did with Sidonia and let Sentai or someone else release it.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
catstigereye wrote:
Please Not Netflix! They need to stick to house of cards and dare devil!

Which are both great shows, so why not Netflix?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:22 am Reply with quote
They have had enough time to start streaming "Kuromukuro" for non-Japanese audiences. I can deal with a delay for a dub but not the sub. If Netflix has me paying a monthly fee, they better start making it worthwhile by streaming it and within 24 hours of the Japanese air date.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
It's funny that as anime on traditional cable is all but isolated to one block on the ass end of midnight where no one watches (unfair, Toonami gets incredible ratings for such a destitute time slot) Netflix and other on demand networks are using it more to fill content niches. Better yet, the way they operate ensures there's no infighting for time.

As Netflix and Hulu replace basic cable, I'm glad they're getting these shows, because the alternative is once a week recordings from the laughingstock of Adult Swim.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2016/01/16/general/online-streaming-keeps-anime-afloat/

• The biggest changes she sees in 2016 are interrelated: The transition from physical products, or “package businesses,” to on-demand, streaming media has resulted in a radical transformation in the intellectual-property licensing process.

“There was ‘before Netflix,’ and an ‘after Netflix,’ ” she says. “And it happened in only the past three or four years. Before, you sold your content to (U.S.-based distributors) like Viz Media or Funimation, Aniplex and Media Blasters. But with Netflix, you can sell it to them directly and go straight to your audience. You don’t have to have this industry connection and talk to these U.S.-based licensing companies. You can just go to Netflix and sell it and that’s it.”

For most Japanese producers, Matsuda says, the watershed moment occurred in 2013, when the Tokyo-based 3-D computer graphics studio Polygon Pictures clinched a deal with Netflix for the distribution of its series “Knights of Sidonia.”

“Everyone (in the anime industry) was like, ‘Oh, crap: Can you do that directly with streaming? And then, ‘Oh, wow, you really can!’ ”

Shuzo Shiota, Polygon’s president, tells me that his studio’s specialization in digital media is an asset when competing in Japan’s relatively conservative and parochial anime industry.

“Digital animation studios like us have had difficulty gaining a footing in the Japanese market,” he says. “So, we’ve worked with North American clients, including Disney and Hasbro, for the past decade, building trust and reputation. Not being tied down to legacy industry norms in Japan allowed us to react swiftly to the massive changes happening in media and content distribution.”

In 2016, Japanese IP producers are scrambling to sell their content directly to fans, while conjuring new ways to pay for it. On a recent flight from New York to Manila via Tokyo, I watched an entire season of “Knights of Sidonia,” offered on the same sub-menu that included mainstream U.S. films and series such as “The Martian” and “Game of Thrones.”

Matsuda is sanguine about the shakeup of the domestic Japanese industry. “I hope this pushes anime creators to make more content that doesn’t have to follow the norm in Japan,” she says. “With options like Kickstarter and digital streaming, there are now a lot more ways to get your IP out there, wherever you are.”

Also, for those who don't remember or weren't there then, when Netflix was a new service around the turn of the century, they catered to technophiles and internet geeks who tend to be early adopters of Net-based technology -- and that included typical anime fans and thus anime offerings.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:51 am Reply with quote
watched a few episodes of their dub and it's pretty good, really glad Netflix is picking up these Animes and making them available to a wider audience

the only shame is that it wont get a physical release now, same as Seven Deadly Sins and i don't know about others but certain animes i like to own myself, ON DISC so i can watch when i want for as long as i want and not have to worry about either the series being taken off the service or not being able to watch it when my internet is down (i live i the countryside and it can happen a lot)

Netflix should just release the shows on disc themselves say a year or 2 after putting them on their service then no matter what version people watch be it streaming or buying discs they are still getting money from it plus it still means you need to use the service if you want to watch it when it first comes out

or perhaps they can let you buy shows digitally so you can download them and keep them forever.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Damn Netflix is really leaving it's mark on the Anime industry which definitely proves that their taking Anime seriously I can only hope that Amazon does the same but then again I really don't have much faith in Amazon. Confused

I don't know about Amazon, but there's something weird with Netflix. As you see, Knights of Sidonia was licensed by Sentai; however the dub features an all-Californian cast. This suggests that Netflix got Bang Zoom or Studiopolis to do a dub. It might be harder for Amazon since they're based in Seattle, but since they don't hold the licenses to the product, I don't see why those companies can do it. Who knows? Funimation might try to partially reclaim their loss of the Noitamina block by making a deal with Amazon against Aniplex, Sentai, and Netflix to dub those shows. After all, Amazon and Hulu are pretty much on Netflix's heels, and in Amazon's case they have plenty deep pockets to finance such products (they even have their own freaking space company!).
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
Primal_Sage wrote:
Awesome.

I want to know how it will sound in Spanish, and if it sounds good enough, I'll be getting my own subscription just to watch this thing again <3

I watched bits and parts of the first episode, and it sounded pretty good to me! Spanish actors tend to give a little bit more pation when acting, and the one playing Nagai Ken (I don't know his name, but I've heard him a lot) really nailed that one part when spoiler[everyone realized he's another Ajin] (Sorry, Mamoru Miyano).

I'd put it on hold until Netflix released it, so now that it's available, I'll stick to the Spanish dub, just like I did with The Seven Deadly Sins, which was amazing!
SamTheNayru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
I watched the first seven episodes of the show and then put it on hold when I found out Netflix licensed it.
I've just watched the last half, and it was amazing. The subs were great too. I hope Netflix keeps licensing good shows, because their "original" anime line up is starting to get pretty impressive.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, time to check out this show.

I am wondering this though....will ANN do any sort of review on this show, or series like this, when it gets put out on Netflix?
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
eh its too bad such a great manga got such a cheap adaptation.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
So how does the TV series relate to the manga? Are they both adaptions of the same material or do I need to see the film before I watch the show?

(also is Netflix still doing that annoying thing where they remove the next episode previews from all their anime? It's not a big deal, but it kind of bugs me.)
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
configspace wrote:

The problem is, they don't bother doing anything for or with the home video release. For example, while Netflix premiered the broadcast version, every single episode of Sidonia was changed and last episode extended by ~15mins for its home video version and its up to the licensee for that region, such as Sentai, to redub them as far as I know.

Oh, is that true? I didn't realize that there was an extended episode for the HV set and that Netflix didn't dub the extra content. So that was pushed onto Sentai, huh? Interesting. I actually bought that set, so I guess I need to check out the extra length episode.

As far as them having just streaming rights, I'm totally okay with that personally, as long as they do what they did with Sidonia and let Sentai or someone else release it.

Yes, every Knights of Sidonia episode has several different cuts including uncensored scenes and the last needed additional dubbing. It's in the alternate track, so called "Director's Cut" video track of the Sentai bluray.

That's the issue with Netflix anime. A lof of people think that's all there is while it turns out, as usual with anime, the broadcast version is never the complete version. Even when Netflix dubs them, subscribers will be missing out on the uncensored, revised and/or extended versions.

At least with Funimation broadcast dubs, they will redub any different scenes for the home video version, and then replace the broadcast version with the home video version for subscribers. With Netflix, you're stuck with whatever initial version they get (which is the broadcast version for simulcasts) forever.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Such an awesome show!

Really hope it'll get a blu-ray release like Sidonia did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3