• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Posts 1st Photo of Scarlett Johansson as the Major

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
But if what the movie makers wanted to do is shelve out a "cyber punk thriller" there is no need to "adapt" a Japanese franchise work.

Does it make any difference? Japanese adaptations of properties like Gantz and AoT are loose at best too.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Johansson (usually a fine actress!) looks about as bland/unrecognizable as i expected so my utter lack of interest continues until the trailer. The biggest problem with the film is that a lot of eyes will be on it and a 2nd middle of the road production as Speed Racer, or worse, will just sidetrack us for another decade. At least i got Edge of Tomorrow 2 by a truly trustworthy team but i don´t think that boredom is the right emotion to get out true fan of the source material (well, maybe not the OG manga trilogy) as me. Shrug.
GitS in-name-only will certainly be better than Fist of the North Star 1995. That one may be THE worst anime/manga to Hollywood production.

Do keep in mind that the Fist of the North Star film was direct-to-video;the film was also extremely entertaining schlock(wasn't boring bad like the DB movie at least).

She's looks fine I guess.I'll wait for a trailer,but I don't really have an high hopes for this one.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
It would be one thing if ScarJo was like the only white person in the cast, then they could totally get away with playing the her body is completely synthetic card to handwave away the fact that they have a white actress playing a Japanese character.

Except.....she's not the only white person in a big role in this film. Batou is also white in this film, and he is decidedly less synthetic than the Major is. >_>
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
Is anyone else struggling to even have an opinion on this? whether it is bad or good, I can't seem to muster any interest, maybe it's because of of how long this has been going on for.It may end up like Kite, where it doesn't get a backlash like Dragon Ball, but no one has any interest in it.
HEY!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
Hey, that's pretty good!
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
Who cares about Motoko, they better not ruin my Tachikoma! Well, if it appears in the movie...
More seriously, zero interest in this, they will definitely adapt the source material and try to make it appeal to the masses rather than to the fans.
Same issue for Edge of Tomorrow, which was decent but not as good as the source.
nagpo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. If Arise didn't kill the franchise, this will.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I'm not convinced yet, she may have the style down (kinda) but is the substance there? that's probably the biggest question of all

I still think it'll get watered down...

Last edited by Holo Wolfgod on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
It would be one thing if ScarJo was like the only white person in the cast, then they could totally get away with playing the her body is completely synthetic card to handwave away the fact that they have a white actress playing a Japanese character.

Except.....she's not the only white person in a big role in this film. Batou is also white in this film, and he is decidedly less synthetic than the Major is. >_>

That's because Batou is European... And Pilou Asbaek is European...

As for the look, as the other user pointed out, the design appears to be based off of all the anime incarnations of Motoko. Not to mention the given synopsis appears to be essentially what Ghost in the Shell typically is. Let's give this a bit more of a chance until more info comes along - who knows, this could be the next Oldboy. Now if you excuse me, I have to look for Captain America Civil War spoilers.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Japanese cast. The last time Hollywood movie had predominantly Japanese cast it ended up being one of the biggest flops in history. I wonder if this is among the reasons why producers so reluctant to work with foreign ensemble casts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm willing to give this a chance. It's not like this has to be our only GITS adaption ever. People are way too negative for something that doesn't even have a trailer yet.

I wish her hair had a bit more body/floof but it could just be this picture as well.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Koda89 wrote:

That's because Batou is European... And Pilou Asbaek is European...

As for the look, as the other user pointed out, the design appears to be based off of all the anime incarnations of Motoko. Not to mention the given synopsis appears to be essentially what Ghost in the Shell typically is. Let's give this a bit more of a chance until more info comes along - who knows, this could be the next Oldboy. Now if you excuse me, I have to look for Captain America Civil War spoilers.

You say Oldboy as if the Western remake is a good thing. Laughing
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
My issue is less about whitewashing and more why is Hollywood still trying to make live action adaptations of anime series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
endallchaos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
She actually looks like major! Still, I don't have a strong opinion. I want to see the movie or even the trailer, first.

[Edit]: removed insult. Errinundra.
fx434

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Japanese always cast Japanese to play non-Japanese characters
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10