• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Game Maker Konami: Similarly Named Company in Panama Papers Is Unrelated

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:49 am Reply with quote
It's only a matter of time til we know if it is, or if it isn't really Konami.

But personally, I'm suspicious. Konami's business practices has been questionable for sometime, as if they were sabotaging their own efforts. And it's not impossible their upper echelon stashing away hidden funds in hopes someone offers to buy Konami, then they retrieve this money and live the life of luxary for the rest of their lives.

Of course that's speculation. So do take it as a grain of salt.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:11 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Perhaps you are right, though I would have thought the name Konami would be trademarked.

Trademarks are for the purposes of trade. When you're applying to register one, you have to say the sorts of trade you're going to use it for; unregistered ones much the same thing applies. Since it's unlikely that Konami-proper has registered the trademark for the purposes of tax avoidance services... yeah.

"IP" is a useful catch-all for sort-of-similar things, but, really, different sorts of IP are more different than they are similar.

[two companies with the same name in different industries -- music and computers, say -- don't cause confusion and so don't violate trademarks.]
c933103

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Offshore account by itself isn't illegal.
It's when ya don't disclose it for appropriate local tax laws when it becomes illegal.

Does that mean those news reporters also have information about what have been reported to government so that they would make such a report?
valoon

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
I don't really care if they don't pay their taxes. They make good things so people shouldn't care what they did in the past.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
c933103 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It's when ya don't disclose it for appropriate local tax laws when it becomes illegal.

Does that mean those news reporters also have information about what have been reported to government so that they would make such a report?

Not unless people disclose their tax paperwork like Cameron did.
Otherwise, it's up to the local authorities to check.

It's to the benefits of countries to disclose those who cheat their own tax laws and put the burden on everyone else.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
valoon wrote:
I don't really care if they don't pay their taxes. They make good things so people shouldn't care what they did in the past.

I'd say most people don't really have much of an issue with what they did in the past. Castlevania, Suikoden, Metal Gear, a lot of classics came from them.

Nowadays however, they tend mostly to enjoy the patronage of various pachinko parlors. And just being famous for awful working conditions...
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
"Game maker"? Seriously? The term is "developer". What kind of article uses such a vague unprofessional term as "game maker" for a development and publishing company?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
"Game maker"? Seriously? The term is "developer". What kind of article uses such a vague unprofessional term as "game maker" for a development and publishing company?

They do more than just develop video games though, but everything Konami does, to my knowledge, is related to games in some capacity. Hence, "game maker" would be a phrase vague enough to cover all of Konami's activities.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh, sure, it's technically accurate, but it's also a term that nobody in the industry actually uses.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
What would you say is the proper term to describe a company that makes, publishes, and distributes video games (including mobile games, and they sometimes publish or distribute games other companies make) and gambling machines?
c933103

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
c933103 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Not unless people disclose their tax paperwork like Cameron did.
Otherwise, it's up to the local authorities to check.

It's to the benefits of countries to disclose those who cheat their own tax laws and put the burden on everyone else.

Put the burden on everyone else? Even if those large corps are going to pay more and let government have more money, government still won't collect fewer from others nor put that extra money for good use, what's the difference?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
c933103 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Put the burden on everyone else? Even if those large corps are going to pay more and let government have more money, government still won't collect fewer from others nor put that extra money for good use, what's the difference?

Whether or not the extra tax money is put to good use is another story. But generally when there's less money to use, some things won't get done that people want done. So in order to get done, either taxes would have to be raised for everyone else who don't cheat, or they have to borrow money. So it affects those people who don't cheat while not affecting those who do cheat. The wealthy elites already make the tax laws in a country - and yet they cheat on the very tax laws they make, leaving everyone else to follow the rules and make up their missing shares.
c933103

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
c933103 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Whether or not the extra tax money is put to good use is another story. But generally when there's less money to use, some things won't get done that people want done. So in order to get done, either taxes would have to be raised for everyone else who don't cheat, or they have to borrow money. So it affects those people who don't cheat while not affecting those who do cheat. The wealthy elites already make the tax laws in a country - and yet they cheat on the very tax laws they make, leaving everyone else to follow the rules and make up their missing shares.

Not sure about rest of the world but that's certainly not the case here as the government reserve find keep having more and more money
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2