• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Girls & Panzer Film Is #4 in 1st-Week Sales Among All Anime BDs to Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
@Saku-dono, I also found Love Live boring in its concept.
Even if there's people like you that dislike Love Live, at least some appreciation should be shown for the anime, because it is one of the most influential modern anime that helped developed the industry, while managing to attain mainstream status.

I think it's a little too early to say something like that. The show has been financially successful, but I don't really see how it is that influential, nor developing the industry, and it's mainstream status in Japan is shared by tons of other shows, while outside of Japan, I wouldn't say it has mainstream status at all.

Idolmaster came before LL, and there were many idol shows before that, so it would be hard to say that it had a huge influence on that. The industry was recovering from the crash pretty well from things like Madoka, Fate/Zero, K-ON, and the Monogatari series, well before LL came around. And I would argue that Attack On Titan and Fate/Zero both attained much greater mainstream status outside of Japan than LL did and had pretty equal presence within Japan as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

Girls & Panzer most certainly is really popular in Japan and so far a second season has yet to be announced. Confused

That's been the bane and common complaint about Japanese TV lately:

• One final point we’d like to add is that unlike in American television production, very few prime-time fictional series in Japan receive more than a one-season contract at a time. A typical season lasts 13 weeks, after which the show’s performance will be judged, and if it makes financial sense, producers will commission a second season, which may not be ready to air until years later. This stilted production schedule makes it almost impossible to craft the kind of sustained, complex narratives that Western viewers have enjoyed in shows such as Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, or The Shield.

And thus some once-upon-a-time hot properties have suffered as a result of waiting too long, e.g. Rozen Maiden, DRRR, and maybe the next Attack on Titan whenever it comes out. At which point, it's probably better to just release a movie like Girls Und Panzer did, since it's an one-time thing that lets starving fans a release valve to invest all their pent-up energy while the limited availability lessens the possibility of it becoming a disappointment and wearing out its welcome.

Kinda like what happened with Final Fantasy XIII after years of no FF, so nearly 7 million fans bought it. But then they made it into a series with FF XIII-2 and XIII-3 and wore out its welcome, and fans didn't feel like investing on more than 1 game. With 1 movie, hungry fans could invest everything they have into that 1 movie - but with a series, they won't be as invested since their enthusiasm would be more spaced apart. (And the same may likely happen with FF XV, though this time Square Enix be wiser about it.)
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote
@Megiddo : Fine, it's not as influential or supportive as I said it is. I have no concrete argument or facts to approve of that as I merely stated so upon myself thinking of another assumption again. I am not a big fan of Love Live either, so let's leave it at that. Hope for no grudge or tension.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2