• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Offers 2015 Charlotte Anime on English-Dubbed Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SNaGem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a huge fan of Charlotte (animation is brilliant. pacing... not so much) but this dub sounds good! I'm all for more Ray Chase, he's a really good voice actor.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, another show Aniplex is dubbing! Surprised Well, that's two shows in a row that I'm excited for now! Looking forward to watching Charlotte, particularly since I'm surprised that it's receiving an English version at all.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:
nice to hear Lauren Landa in a non-Funimation dub.

Lauren Landa's been in plenty of non-FUNi dubs. Just no recent ones until now.

Most famously, she was Kyoko in Madoka Magica.

Anyway, very nice work AoA! Looks like you actually CAN listen to common sense!
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Happy with this news, now to hope someone in Australia licensed it for disc release.

And, I liked the sound of the dub. Though, from what I heard, the Japanese voice actress for Nao seemed to speak with a lisp. Seems like that's gone in the English dub. Or, maybe I was the only one that heard it? Laughing
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I really hate that I wish this company would pull out of the market. I've said it a lot, but they clearly don't care about fans when they charge $149.96 for 13 episodes. If they cared, they'd keep it profitable at a price normal people can afford. I really don't understand how Aniplex can sell DIRECTLY, for more money than companies like Funimation sell things after already paying license fees. Pure greed.

They basically sell for near Japanese market prices. It does reduce concerns about reverse importation and thus results in less delay or DVD only releases. (Reverse imports definitely happen, as browsing or buying suggestions from Amazon.jp will show.)

More importantly, from fans' perspective, Aniplex's attitude results in their shows being shown on many more legal streaming services than other shows. Most non Aniplex shows are exclusives on one service or another, but as a direct result of AoA's business model and pricing, their shows have very wide distribution. They want lots of exposure and to sell to a relatively limited group at first, much like the Japanese market. Wider streaming availability is worth something to fans.

They are greedy, like all the other companies. Different strategies, all greedy, result in different prices.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

They basically sell for near Japanese market prices. It does reduce concerns about reverse importation and thus results in less delay or DVD only releases. (Reverse imports definitely happen, as browsing or buying suggestions from Amazon.jp will show.)

As someone who imports a lot of anime from Japan, I can confirm that Aniplex of America prices are still about half of what the Japanese charge for most things. Charlotte would run you about $350 to own all 7 volumes new.

They are certainly trying to get more money for each sale, but they aren't charging "Japanese Prices" like many people keep saying.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I never did get around to finishing Charlotte. I'm always down for more dubs being produced, even though I seldom watch them nowadays thanks to the lack of English-language anime airing in Canada.

relyat08 wrote:
John Thacker wrote:

As someone who imports a lot of anime from Japan, I can confirm that Aniplex of America prices are still about half of what the Japanese charge for most things. Charlotte would run you about $350 to own all 7 volumes new.

They are certainly trying to get more money for each sale, but they aren't charging "Japanese Prices" like many people keep saying.

Agreed. It's more like North American "Singles" pricing circa late '90s/late '00s.

While I did buy singles during the mid-2000s, it's hard to change the mindset of having to pay those prices again after being spoiled by $40-70 cour+series releases for so long. But if I like the show + its release enough, I'll do it.

Which reminds me, I still need to buy Your Lie in April....
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

And yet, people are still complaining that AoA's pricing is way too high.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
Too much dub focus from Aniplex lately, but i guess that it's their new experiment...

Charlotte had some nice extras in Japan but seeing how AoA has pretty much removed all of that and added dub "bloopers" i'm anything but interested in buying these sets.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Happy with this news, now to hope someone in Australia licensed it for disc release.
Well yes, someone already has. Madman have it. I've found that if a show is on Animelab then it's pretty much a given that Madman has the physical rights unless it's a situation like UBW where Hanabee managed to nab the physical rights before they got to it or something like Durarara or The Devil is a Part Timer where they worked with Siren Visual.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Too much dub focus from Aniplex lately, but i guess that it's their new experiment...

I'm not exactly sure whats wrong with that? The Japanese audio will always be available for streaming and on every bluray release and doesn't take anything away from that, AoA having a bigger focus on dubs is only a good thing because it just widens the audience and gets new fans and will most likely help with sales. This way both sides are happy. I just hope this trend continues I REALLY hope the upcoming Rewrite anime, God Eater and get dubs in the future and maybe a domestic dubbed release of Persona 3, that would be nice Anime smile

-edit- I see your mention of extras that were in the Japanese release not being present but are you sure thats AoA's fault? I've heard AoJ has been getting more anal about reverse importation and thats why chipboard and the contents of AoA releases have seemed to be getting less, the lack of Japanese extra's could just be a restriction placed on AoA by AoJ to make the release as unappealing as possible to anyone in Japan who might reverse import and probably has nothing to do with the budget being taken by a dub or anything.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
What I believe is wrong with that is that these dubs costs a lot of money that could've been spent elsewhere like reproducing various extras or even producing new extras with the anime staff. But this is just what Aniplex does; experiment. Hopefully it won't be long lasting.

And seeing how other regions can get extras that are in the Japanese releases but not in the AoA ones i certainly wouldn't put the blame on AoJ as much as I would on budgeting. In addition to that it's actually quite rare to see AoA releases pop up in Japan, in comparison to Funi/Sentai releases, so reverse-importation can't be that much of a fear for AoA releases anymore.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I really hate that I wish this company would pull out of the market. I've said it a lot, but they clearly don't care about fans when they charge $149.96 for 13 episodes. If they cared, they'd keep it profitable at a price normal people can afford. I really don't understand how Aniplex can sell DIRECTLY, for more money than companies like Funimation sell things after already paying license fees. Pure greed.
As Buster Blader 126 pointed out, Aniplex's prices are similar to single-disc price points from 10-12 years ago. Would you say that that ADV/Geneon/Funimation/Bandai/etc. didn't care about fans when they charged similar prices back in ~2004?
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Charlotte had some nice extras in Japan but seeing how AoA has pretty much removed all of that and added dub "bloopers" i'm anything but interested in buying these sets.

Way to kill the mood for everyone who wants this, especially since bloopers are hilarious to watch. I guess it just wouldn't be a regular ANN day without seeing your salty anti-dub bitching commentary somewhere on this site. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
What I believe is wrong with that is that these dubs costs a lot of money that could've been spent elsewhere like reproducing various extras or even producing new extras with the anime staff. But this is just what Aniplex does; experiment. Hopefully it won't be long lasting.

Oh please, what's wrong here is how you've deluded yourself into believing all anime should be released subbed only.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:

-edit- I see your mention of extras that were in the Japanese release not being present but are you sure thats AoA's fault? I've heard AoJ has been getting more anal about reverse importation and thats why chipboard and the contents of AoA releases have seemed to be getting less, the lack of Japanese extra's could just be a restriction placed on AoA by AoJ to make the release as unappealing as possible to anyone in Japan who might reverse import and probably has nothing to do with the budget being taken by a dub or anything.

I definitely think that is the case. Their price point hasn't lessened, but their releases have gotten progressively worse. I don't think it's a budget issue, like SouthPacific is saying. The dub would cost significantly more than those extras anyway, from my understanding, so if they have the money to do this, but are cutting back on other extras for financial reasons, that seems a little silly. I think that having a dub might be in their best interests for a couple of reasons, not just the fact that it might encourage more people to buy the release, but also it could potentially lessen reverse importation. I haven't seen any stats on it, but I know a couple of Japanese people who are less likely to import a release with a dub on it for some reason. Again, no proof on that other than my anecdotal evidence, which is pretty insignificant, but it is possibly something they think about.
On the other hand, it seems like fully translating the JP extras, especially the ones in book form, and scrapping the original JP language copy seems like it would be pretty effective as well. I would pay more for an AoA release that came with an extras booklet that was entirely in English, and I don't think most Japanese fans would be as excited to import that either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3