• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action English-Language Lone Wolf And Cub Film Planned in 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
So they couldn't have an Asian actress for GITS because "OMG the movie will suck unless white people are in it!" or whatever reason it is anime nerds use to defend it, but somehow it's ok to have an all Japanese cast in this movie? How are the GITS live action apologists going to explain this contradiction in logic?

1. Because GITS is easier to adapt to a foreign setting and still retain everything that makes it GITS, whereas Lone Wolf cannot be because it's appeal IS tied to it's Japanese setting.

2. GITS will cost far more to make than Lone Wolf.

3. Lone Wolf will be budgeted and marketed towards that audience that is specifically looking for samurai/ninja entertainment and therefore big star appeal is not a factor and Asian cast is an expectation. GITS is aiming for a wider appeal, particularly for those who like science fiction and casting is largely irrelevant but star power will matter more.

4. Chances are that if hypothetically studios were gathering around awhile back deciding which movie to make 'GITS' or 'Lone Wolf' and they could only make one of them, it would be guaranteed that GITS would be picked over Lone Wolf by a large margin particularly due to the fact that it can be easily localized to America or an international cast and have more wider appeal than the one that cannot be adapted to a foreign culture and must have Asian cast members as the ONLY cast roles.

5. Expectations for how much money GITS will make and how much money Lone Wolf would be expected to make will be vastly different. GITS will be aimed as a blockbuster with the expectations of multiple sequels and merchandising. Lone Wolf will be aimed at a smaller market and more indie scene.

Frankly for that last few reasons alone I don't see Lone Wolf happening or at least put on the back burner for a long while. Maybe if Martin Scorsese's SILENCE could drive interest in that direction, or if GITS does well, then the studio will adapt Lone Wolf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2