• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk: Past, Present, and Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrApplebox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
I should really find a way to watch the original anime though, was it ever released in North America at all?

Of course, but the DVDs have been out of print for a while and now go for ludicrous prices. The whole thing is on YouTube, though.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
While I agree the 1997 anime is a good adaptation I feel the way this article discribes Puck's omission from it kinda paints an inaccurate picture. Like the way the writer describes his omission, one would might get the impression that Puck was present throughout the Golden Age Arc even in the original manga, even though he wasn't. Puck was only really "cut" from the first episode of the 1997 series, and the only reason why it didn't significantly negatively affect quality of the 1997 series (despite Puck actually being a plot essential character) is because the rest of the series was just adapting the Golden Age Arc, which as stated before, Puck is already absent from.
Saruwatari Hatsuharu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I love the original Berserk anime and have recently started the manga.

It's so unfortunate that they decided to go with the CG, but not only that not using the original Guts voice actor...

My love for Berserk won't allow this new season to go unseen, i just wish the animators were more true to their fandom as I see about 85% of fans complaining about CG...
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I've begun reading the manga finally, and I have fond memories of the anime.

However, I tried to check out the movie trilogy and I just hated the CG. I'll be checking out the new anime coming out...but I'm worried the CG will ruin it for me like in the movies.... :c

(I really want to like CG anime but really, it always looks "off" to me. The only kind of CG I don't find off-putting is say, the intricate animation in Advent Children or similar. And I doubt anime will ever put that much effort in...)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Put the manga on hold somewhere around the beginning of the Falcon of the Millennium Empire Arc. I kind of barely remember what was going on, so I'd need to pick a few chapters back to refresh, but that's not important because this anime won't even be getting that far.

While I detest the use of low budget CGI for character, I'm still watching it because it is Berserk. Those three movies made basically no impression on me, and are by far the worst way to experience the Golden Age, with tons of vital details and character building moments that the manga and even the 1997 series cover. Kind of sucks that Berserk has to get shit on like Sailor Moon did with the first installment of Crystal, but I doubt money and fan excitement will kick in to make it non-CGI.

Like many other very long manga, there's really no discussion, you have to read the manga if you want the actual story. Even if you don't like static black and white images, well, tough shit.

DrApplebox wrote:
CaRoss wrote:
I should really find a way to watch the original anime though, was it ever released in North America at all?

Of course, but the DVDs have been out of print for a while and now go for ludicrous prices. The whole thing is on YouTube, though.

Shame we don't have the BDs, they're pretty good and really make those watercolors pop. The "remastered" DVD set has some horrible overscan, makes it basically unwatchable.
Hisokoro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm looking forward to the new anime but all I have seen is the golden age arc trilogy. Will that be enough for me to pick up where things left of, or is it a requirement to watch the old anime.

Thanks Smile
Chicken-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
IMO the first episode of the anime not going as in depth as the first part of the manga is an advantage. It gives you just enough of a hook to get you interested in the supernatural stuff, then makes you wonder as you watch the show how the hell things end up that way. I thought it made the appearance of the Apostles, the Eclipse, etc. more shocking and meaningful. In a seemingly normal medieval setting, the sparse use of these supernatural elements really adds a sense of mystery and suspense. When you've already seen the Count in his Apostle form and the God Hand, it kind of lessens the impact when these elements are revealed in the Golden Age. I agree that the removing of the more extreme parts of the manga worked to it's advantage. I think this allowed the story to focus completely around the development of characters and create amazing drama. I think the manga focuses on gory spectacle too much some of the time and just feels gross and directionless. I hope that the new anime finds a good balance of keeping the content mature but not turning away potential viewers with over the top content

[quote="Souther"]There are too many unanswered questions to just continue where the anime series left off because of certain events and characters the anime leaves out, plus one anime-only detail that doesn't make sense if you'd read the manga past the Golden Age. IMO, the main things the anime did well was cutting out strong content for viewers that'd find it unnecessary and offputting, and leaving it at such a cliffhanger that it makes you want to go and read the manga, making it a great advertisement. Other than that, I like the way the manga goes about the story far more; the beginning gives the Golden Age a greater sense of foreboding and lets you know what the deal is with the fantasy/supernatural aspects of the series, as opposed to the anime that cuts out the explanation for them and makes them seem out of place at the cost of making it more of a twist. Also, among the things it cuts out is one aspect of Guts's that makes his relationship with Casca more tender and mutual.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
The Berserk anime can be compared to how fans of Funimation DBZ first digested it on TV or even Naruto, they keep talking about Raditz or Naruto's Haku over and over while fans of the Berserk manga look back with nostalgia goggles.

There is so much ground to cover, it's literally like starting One Piece from the beginning at this point and yes, Casca has been a mindless idiot for far too long.

Don't get hung up on the CG, they make it look that way.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
DrApplebox wrote:
CaRoss wrote:

It was back when the boxsets of Evangellion and Trigun were $200 in stores. At the time the first Hellsing was out, Berserk was also released and was sold in some crazy places. Gamestop at the time was trading DVDs and selling new anime, I bought each single through Gamestop, I refuse to sell them. Its one of the only dubs I can tolerate.

Check out FRY's for Berserk , that thin pack was selling for cheap last I seen it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:

I had a friend who loved the Anime read the manga and drop it after what happened with Princess Charlotte toward the end of The Golden Age arc.

Griffith having consensual sex with the underage princess was the deal breaker for your friend.....but yet Guts getting raped wasn't?
DrApplebox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:

I had a friend who loved the Anime read the manga and drop it after what happened with Princess Charlotte toward the end of The Golden Age arc.

Griffith having consensual sex with the underage princess was the deal breaker for your friend.....but yet Guts getting raped wasn't?

I think he means the part where spoiler[the king tries to rape Charlotte.]
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
DrApplebox wrote:

That's great to know. I'll have to start using Youtube for shows that aren't ghost related now Anime hyper
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
DrApplebox wrote:

I think he means the part where spoiler[the king tries to rape Charlotte.]

That's pretty tame in comparison to the stuff that happens before and of course after it.
NCHaskew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
I first watched Berserk a couple years ago, and immediately fell in love with it. Once I finished, I of course went "wait no, this can't be! Where's the rest of it?" I stumbled across the movies and, unlike what seems to be everyone else here, I really enjoyed them as well. Yes, the cut out a lot of things, but the narrative flow still worked well and the addition of the Skull Knight was much appreciated!

Everyone's shitting all over the CG look here, but I actually think it looks really good! Much improved from Golden Age Arc's use, and a good middle ground of maintaining their budget while still capturing the detailed artwork of the manga. And the fact that Miura is at the head of the project and we get another song from Susumu Hirasawa, I think it's going to be just as good as the original 90s anime. Whatever the case, everyone here please watch it through the official streaming service, Crunchyroll, share it with your friends and, if you enjoyed it, buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays. If we want more of Berserk adapted, we gotta show them we appreciate it!

I for one am excitedly looking forward to this new installment Smile (even if I REALLYREALLYREALLY wanted to see the Count and Rosine)
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
This is coming from a guy who has rarely gotten emotional over watching an anime or reading manga, but I'm too afraid to pick up Berserk after hearing about the dark stuff in it. I'm both eager and reluctant simultaneously to follow this series.

So, is this new Berserk series a sequel to the original anime or like a reboot? Sorry, I'm dumb and haven't really followed the news behind this new adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3