• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Space Patrol Luluco

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I also thought the worst episode was the Sex and Violence with Machspeed cameo. I haven't watched that show, so that may be the main problem I had with it, but I felt there was no inherent charm to it, unlike when I watch the Inferno Cop cameo episode.

Other than that, I didn't have much problems with the cameo arc of Luluco. On top of that, she was very endearing and likeable, and those final episodes, especially spoiler[the one when she dies], hit me a little bit. And this scene is bloody amazing. It would've been amazing to see animation like this all over the show. Hopefully, the guys at Trigger will do their very best with the new LWA anime.

Overall, it was a very charming short, one that I wanted to watch every week. It reminded me of the more entertaining parts of Kill La Kill. Hopefully Crunchyroll releases it as a BD/DVD.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
I also thought the worst episode was the Sex and Violence with Machspeed cameo. I haven't watched that show, so that may be the main problem I had with it, but I felt there was no inherent charm to it, unlike when I watch the Inferno Cop cameo episode.

Other than that, I didn't have much problems with the cameo arc of Luluco. On top of that, she was very endearing and likeable, and those final episodes, especially spoiler[the one when she dies], hit me a little bit. And this scene is bloody amazing. It would've been amazing to see animation like this all over the show. Hopefully, the guys at Trigger will do their very best with the new LWA anime.

Overall, it was a very charming short, one that I wanted to watch every week. It reminded me of the more entertaining parts of Kill La Kill. Hopefully Crunchyroll releases it as a BD/DVD.

Sex and Violence with Machspeed was a short done almost entirely by Imaishi for the Animator Expo 2015. And it's literally the same thing that you saw in Luluco. Like, literally, I think it even had the same bank animation.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Where was all that in the review huh?
Virtually every single point you bring up, the review addresses. You might not agree with the reviewer's opinions, but don't pretend that he didn't perform due diligence.
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
The Creamer
I'm just going to come right out and say that when people call Nick Creamer this, it automatically makes me take them less seriously. I've seen it pop up a lot in ANN talkback threads recently, and it makes our community look kind of gross, you guys.
Oh, I read it before commenting and I don't think he was actually negative, so my intent for the "Blackholean" remark was as a comment on his duality of nature and idiosyncratic (shall we say) commentary he is known for rather than an "attack". Do two short statements really qualify as a rant these days? But let's go by the numbers 1. Specific Mention of other major contributors than Imaishi-san? Nope. 2. Ogikubo archetype to motivate plot of "middle third"? Nope. 3. Mention of complete story arc? Don't see it. 4. Mention of ED? "the opening and closing songs are distinctive, catchy songs". So small I missed it the first time among the other "Imaichi-centric" commentary. 3/4 aren't there, whereas I would think a complete or rounded review would catch those. After all he was quite in depth in his analysis of The Lost Village in the weeklies and banner article, which engendered the title you dislike. How about C! since it looks enthusiastically positive and I don't want to be gross? I am not one to call names, but I think Mayoiga earned him a title in my book. Feel free to disregard it.
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
@Valhern Oh, that's nice to know. That's one I missed completely, and if what you say is true, then that "Sex" short would be very overwhelming for me, even more if Luluco-chan is not there. Too much Imaishi is not always good.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
@chito895 Trigger showed the short at AnimeNext last year and my eyes where on the floor because it was a bit to much for me.
pikabot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I strongly disagree about the cameo arc. The series' biggest appeal is its wild absurdity and borderline incoherence, and the feeling of 'I don't know what the hell I'm watching'. And man, did the cameo arc do that. Also, the LWA episode was one of the series' funniest on its own merits, it wasn't just banking on 'look, another trigger show!' as a gag.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
After all he was quite in depth in his analysis of The Lost Village in the weeklies and banner article, which engendered the title you dislike. How about C! since it looks enthusiastically positive and I don't want to be gross? I am not one to call names, but I think Mayoiga earned him a title in my book. Feel free to disregard it.

You see, calling someone "The Creamer" in such a despective manner sounds like the type of thing a bully would call a kid he dislikes. And not just any kid: a 10-years-old kid. It just makes you sound immature. It's an elementary school-level nickname. Plus this last part makes it sound like you now act so defensive because you disagreed with his stance on Mayoiga. And you can disagree with him all you like, but a lot of people seemed to take it to a personal level... for some odd reason.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Lol, and when has the anime community been even remotely mature, exactly? We're talking about people who call each other tryhard edgy insults like "pleb" and "cuck" over Japanese cartoons and use the industry as some twisted form of a coping mechanism for their own self-diagnosed "nihilism." They hate and scrutinize "mainstream trash" anime that are actually good and instead choose to "ironically" champion cheap fanservice, trope ridden trite. It's always been toxic, even on this site. That's just my stance on the matter.

I liked this show, 11/10 it's okay
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I'll play mod and remind everyone this is a comment thread about Luluco. I thought Space Patrol Luluco is the best short of any produced to date and said as much the first time around, but because I criticized C!'s review's omissions (not it's actual content) and his near-obsessive analysis on Mayoiga, which I think elevated his status above being a mere reviewer to deserving a title, attacks have threatened to dominate which is why I only responded once. For the record, I have read C!'s reviews for years and generally don't have a problem with them, sometimes I appreciate his sarcasm and borderline mean-ness.

Thank you OrangeVision for being me up to speed about the end of Ep7, which I thought very odd (if funny) and Actar for pointing out that Trigger-chan was a pre-existing character. I never would have guessed. And the amazing action sequences very reminescent of FLCL like chito895 highlighted make me wonder how C! can characterize the show as "static characters pasted over repeated background templates". Now, I loved Commander Over-Justice in the way he is used to provide quick commentary, usual digital in nature, a great parody of the so-called "black-or-white" view of justice (hinted at even in his character design color choices!). I also love the humor produced when that was turned on it's head in Ep6 for convenience's sake and the logic used to justify it "a crime for a crime equals JUSTICE!!" and backed up with the declaration "that is how we adults carry out JUSTICE!!" Laughing Too True...Also a kick is how Midori-chan is used as a counterpoint to all this, despite being a "criminal", her commentary is the most truthful and insightful and deliciously sarcastic. And then there's that whole sequence in Ep10 showing a mastery of writing and direction I've not seen anywhere, where a fun time is turned instantly into a shocking turnabout with Luluco and Nova's interaction providing true pathos while seeming completely natural and uncontrived. I could go on and on, but let's say that for a "throw-away" show, the creative team showed amazing depth of thought and care in execution and generally displayed mastery of many elements of comedy and drama. This is why Trigger has produced such good shows and I for one look forward to Little Witch Academia.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:38 am Reply with quote
...Why is this on the front page?
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
I'm as confused as meiam about this.

However, this flew right past my radar when it initially aired/was released, so I'm quite glad this little glitch happened, since it looks like a lot of fun. Very Happy
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
wyntre_rose wrote:
I'm as confused as meiam about this.

However, this flew right past my radar when it initially aired/was released, so I'm quite glad this little glitch happened, since it looks like a lot of fun. Very Happy

It's not a glitch. The original review was of the series streaming, but it's been updated/reposted for the blu-ray release.
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
My mistake. Since the date under the review said Jul 11, 2016, I assumed it was older.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
wyntre_rose wrote:
My mistake. Since the date under the review said Jul 11, 2016, I assumed it was older.

Yeah, we re-publish previous reviews sometimes when it's the same material just on blu-ray, to save our freelancers some time and review space. Smile
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Gotcha. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3