• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf to Release Turn A Gundam TV Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The company will also offer a program where customers can exchange their Turn A Gundam DVDs for Blu-ray Discs.

Very classy of them.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Knowing that a blu-ray of Turn-A existed in Japan made me hold off on buying the DVDs, even though by all rights they looked pretty nice, but ultimately, I'm glad I did, because I'll just get these instead. I wish Sunrise just let them do blu-rays of everything from the get-go, because I have a lot of the Gundam catalog on DVD already via the Bandai versions, and while I'm open to upgrading personal favorites to blu-ray, there's not much of a reason to re-buy stuff like 0079 and Zeta in the same format I already have them in. Getting the 0079 movie trilogy in blu-ray would be especially nice. Cheers to RightStuf.
maxhate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
NOGI48 wrote:
I'm still waiting for my G gundam

You're not alone...
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
not quite. right stuff is no bandai.if they were still around and considering how well turn a sold, bandai would have finally given that series an english dub version and from the looks of things there is no plans of right stuff/nozumi ent doing that. not to mentioned they gave build fighters fans a massive middle finger by pulling a NIS America & having both series be release with the god awful animax asia dub version. right now for them ,its more or less a rope a dope when it comes to which gundam series warrants an english dub. series like IBO , Unicorn and the origin movies get a very well made version with a highly good anime studios like bang zoom and others doing the dubs,while G Reconguista get a sub only release and build fighters got the worst treatment via animax asia version. so while it a good thing that its getting released in the US again, for dub viewers, its a serious rope a dope cause the series they want to see might not get an english dub version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... the dubs for Unicorn, IBO, and the Origin movies were all commissioned by either Sunrise or Bandai Visual. None of those were from RightStuf. Also, I don't think RightStuf has yet to commission dubs for anything yet. Any dubs they have are just part of a license rescue or packaged like the ones above (I not sure how they acquired the Build Fighters dub though).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:53 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but... the dubs for Unicorn, IBO, and the Origin movies were all commissioned by either Sunrise or Bandai Visual. None of those were from RightStuf. Also, I don't think RightStuf has yet to commission dubs for anything yet. Any dubs they have are just part of a license rescue or packaged like the ones above (I not sure how they acquired the Build Fighters dub though).

Pretty much. Those dubs are really good too. That seems to be the case for Unicorn (which started releasing with dubs on both the US and JP releases even before Bandai was completely dead but had already transitioned to some sub-only releases), Origin, and Thunderbolt so it's probably true for IBO as well especially once it became likely it would be picked up for TV.

Though actually RightStuf used to dub some stuff in their Nozomi line (like The Third: Girl with the Blue Eye, etc.) before they went sub only for most of their releases.

Still, whether it's Sunrise or Rightstuf, like jr240483 I'll admit I'm also disappointed to see that Sunrise/Rightstuf are not giving especially G-Reco a dub considering how absolutely new it is, even if it got a mixed reception. I think Turn A could support one too given it's enduring popularity and that it must have done pretty well if they are re-releasing it on blu-ray so quickly after those DVDs, which would be a nice opportunity for them to upgrade it with a dub.

I guess it was pretty understandable for the truly old shows that didn't already have them (admittedly Turn-A is still kind of in that group), like V Gundam and ZZ, etc. given that stuff that old is supposedly such a hard sell, but I thought when they got to the really new stuff like G-Reco, Age (which is pretty meh), and Build Fighters there was more of a chance the TV series could all start getting dubs going forward once we got to the pretty new shows.

Though atleast IBO finally gave us a new dubbed Gundam TV series.

I'm especially looking forward to finally getting some Gundam 00 blu-rays.
It's great they're doing the trade in though for Turn A since I bought the DVDs.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Glad I held off knowing the BDs were out in Japan. Nice of them to offer a trade in program for previous buyers. I'll be holding off on 0080 till the BD is offered. May not be out in Japan yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Plus I already own the Bandai release
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I'll be getting the Blu-ray sets but I don't know if I'll trade in the DVDs... the artwork on the cases and discs are some of my favorites. I show them off everytime a friend comes over lol.

Lots of "glad I held off" replies I hope the BD sets sell a huge amount. Then maybe we can get the movies on BD...?
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
^
LOL. I was also worried about the packaging because of how nice the DVD release is.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
^
LOL. I was also worried about the packaging because of how nice the DVD release is.

They've done trade-ins before. I seem to remember that you just had to send the disc, but I might be thinking of another company.

I'd agree that the first DVD set has nice artwork, but the second is just ok. The limited and regular BD sets for the TV & movies in Japan have very nice artwork that looks like it was done just for the sets as opposed to the US DVD sets that seems like it was taken from the show, so I hope we can get those =)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
For those wanting more Gundam dub releases, the official Gundam YT page has various Gundam dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2