• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Regalia Producer Explains Anime's Broadcast Halt

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Regalia was one of my favorite summer 2016 simulcasts and I was kind of disappointed when they stopped broadcasting but now that they restarted with new presumably better episodes I couldn't be happier. Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
Well, this has gone from, "that's neat, maybe I'll watch it someday" to "I'm watching this this season" so I give Nagatani-san some high praise for this decision. I always respect someone who puts himself out there like that. I hope it pays off and that he will continue to get projects in the future. Along with all of the staff.

Also, not too surprising, but he was a producer on Shirobako, and many other PA Works shows. Those guys all seem to have a higher respect for their coworkers than many others in the industry.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
CountZeroOR wrote:
That's one way to avoid a "Jiggle Jiggle Heaven" situation
Oddest thing about this is that the original in no way looked bad at all.

Well, they're clearly changing more than the animation, so it may be that the primary problems with it were things like how well the story flowed or how the characters were portrayed. It's also possible that it's simply that the package as a whole was enough worse than what they wanted that they wanted the time to do whatever additional tweaks they thought were necessary to bring it up to the level that they thought it should be.

It wouldn't surprise me though if a ot of the problem was with the unaired episodes rather than with the early ones. Yes, they've clearly done some worked to the ones that were aired to improve them, but maybe the quality of the series simply dipped way too much with the episodes later in the series, and they needed the extra time to fix that.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
but also felt that producing a hand-drawn robot anime "burned a lot of calories" and felt negotiating the schedule was "stressful." Given that most mecha anime are now animated with CG, he wants Actas [Regalia's animation studio] to do its best as one of the few studios making hand-drawn robot anime."
Well that's good, but I don't see how it is stressful. I've seen plenty of key animated mecha shows where it is cuts of mech shooting, mech blowing up, still image of mecha from a distance with effects to show it moving and most common of all, shots of still images slowly floating from one side of the screen to the other. Does this show have full moving mechs then, with complex camera angles?. The keyframed mechs in the recent Gundam series are really well animated, so something like that?
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
but also felt that producing a hand-drawn robot anime "burned a lot of calories" and felt negotiating the schedule was "stressful." Given that most mecha anime are now animated with CG, he wants Actas [Regalia's animation studio] to do its best as one of the few studios making hand-drawn robot anime."
Well that's good, but I don't see how it is stressful. I've seen plenty of key animated mecha shows where it is cuts of mech shooting, mech blowing up, still image of mecha from a distance with effects to show it moving and most common of all, shots of still images slowly floating from one side of the screen to the other. Does this show have full moving mechs then, with complex camera angles?. The keyframed mechs in the recent Gundam series are really well animated, so something like that?

Based on the clips I've seen, yeah, it does. The animation in this has been really good so far. It's really a surprisingly ambitious production and, from the sounds of it, they want to keep it that way.
[url=https://sakuga.yshi.org/post?tags=regalia_the_three_sacred_stars+]
Check out literally any of these clips, they are all pretty great, really.[/url]
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first episode back when it came out and I didn't really like it, but reading this producer's explanations and objectives it makes me want to wish for the success of this series, if anything because they're indeed trying to release a mecha anime in 2016 with hand-drawn animation in a market that doesn't welcome it anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2