• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shin Godzilla

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:42 am Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
ANYONE HERE IS GOING TO REVIEW ACCEL WORLD INFINITE BURST SOME DAY????

Only if Godzilla is in it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
I want to see it, but I have my doubts considering Anno was a part of this. That's the guy responsible for one of the most stupid, and utterly pretentious shows I've ever seen that I hate with a passion. I don't want his silly dribble tainting my Godzilla experience too much.

What?? I thought Kare Kano was pretty cute.

No seriously, Evangelion is a show which came from the heart, I doubt this deeply depressed man (he was, I've read a lot on it), I doubt he cared about prentending to be anything.

With the years I appreciate it more and more, but even when I was 15 (!) I perfectly understood this show and its message. Let that sink in for a moment. A KID understood this show, so where is it being pretentious or obtuse?

Sorry, but I feel people with this attitude are just pretentious themselves. "Really? You think this show is ACTUALLY great? Well, me? I'm not fooled by it". It's like kindergarden s.it.

There are pretentious works of fiction. Evangelion isn't one of them (...come on, this show is comedic at times and Anno himself has parodied it)

If you are going to watch Shin Godzilla, please don't do it with that attitude. I think it's meant to be enjoyed.
Don't take any of this personally. It's in the realm of film discussion, nothing too serious. But it's sad reading something like that about such a beautiful show, which has helped many people.

(Hate with passion? C'mon)

Btw I like Godzilla 2014 too, not perfect, but Edwards is rrally great at visuals. The reason I still have hope in Rogue One.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
#861940 wrote:

Btw I like Godzilla 2014 too, not perfect, but Edwards is rrally great at visuals. The reason I still have hope in Rogue One.

When Godzilla let loose with his radioactive breath in 2014, America was redeemed for ever producing that fake Godzilla movie several years before.

Everyone can say whatever they want about Godzilla 2014, but one thing must be acknowledged, it was the first real Godzilla movie made in America.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
I concur. The Matthew Broderick 90's something Godzilla was a goddamned disaster. But the 2014 movie, while a really slow burner at first, had some amazing monster appearances and fights.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
#861940 wrote:
No seriously, Evangelion is a show which came from the heart, I doubt this deeply depressed man (he was, I've read a lot on it), I doubt he cared about prentending to be anything.

With the years I appreciate it more and more, but even when I was 15 (!) I perfectly understood this show and its message. Let that sink in for a moment. A KID understood this show, so where is it being pretentious or obtuse?

Sorry, but I feel people with this attitude are just pretentious themselves. "Really? You think this show is ACTUALLY great? Well, me? I'm not fooled by it". It's like kindergarden s.it.

There are pretentious works of fiction. Evangelion isn't one of them (...come on, this show is comedic at times and Anno himself has parodied it)

If you are going to watch Shin Godzilla, please don't do it with that attitude. I think it's meant to be enjoyed.
Don't take any of this personally. It's in the realm of film discussion, nothing too serious. But it's sad reading something like that about such a beautiful show, which has helped many people.

Yeah, I could hardly call something pretentious when it comes from deep inside the heart like that. I mean, who understands that depressed mentality more than someone who's actually suffering/suffered from it? I think over the years people tend to see all of the excessive thematic and symbolic interpretations proposed by hardcore fans and are actually insulting that, not the actual show. Because I've always felt what made it so great was that, at its core, it has a very simple and human story, but the viewer could also dissect a lot more from it if they wanted to. Hell, even the stuff that people accuse of just being there to "look cool" miss the point that art can really mean anything once it's put out into the world. Just because the creators didn't intend for a meaning to be there, that doesn't mean different interpretations are any less valid. I mean, the creator of the GIF format says it's supposed to be pronounced with a soft "G" but plenty of people still pronounce it with a hard "G." Plus I just really have always enjoyed Anno's style. Even if you didn't like Evangelion, acting as if that is all he's about ignores the many other great productions he's been apart of. I know a lot of people who love stuff like Gunbuster and His and Her Circumstances (including myself).

Well that rant ended up being a lot longer than I'd hoped. But yeah! I can't wait to see this in October. The drive will be a little over an hour but I think it'll be worth it to see Japan's epic Godzilla effects on the big screen (also Shiro Sagisu's score!).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I can wait to watch this; I expect it to be better than the Jun Fukuda Godzilla films but when that includes Godzilla versus Megalon and Godzilla versus Gigan, it's not much of a hurdle.

Quote:
The government has to activate the Japan Self-Defense Force and send their military into full combat for the first time since World War II, but how will they avoid killing civilians along with the monster?
So... no Godzilla but Shin Godzilla and Anno is his prophet? Bringing up another comparison to Godzilla 2014, it is pretty much a direct sequel to Godzilla/Gojira as there was a history to it, most likely the original film. Anno did what no other Godzilla film... not that that one counts... dared to do, wipe out the first film in order to do its story?

I am a Godzilla fan but I'm not a fan of Anno. I can't offer my view of it not having seen it but there are a number of red flags throughout this review.

Intelligent... oh, big one... By the way, if the monster's killing civilians than what's bad about a little collateral damage? Why would they think they could kill it? Even apart from its size, there would be something abnormal about such a large creature "suddenly" appearing. Not to mention how the creature ascribes to no natural taxonomy so even "Hey, let's study it!" seems dubious.

Intelligent... for a Godzilla film. I guess that's fair; A satellite goes down and officials immediately cry "It's the work of a monster!" They're right but there's no reason for them to be so.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I am a Godzilla fan but I'm not a fan of Anno.

How much of a purist Godzilla fan are you? Anno does some stuff with the monster that has had a tendency to leave purists disgusted. It's a great new take on the monster, and everything is in the movie for a reason (either thematic or logistic), but he has a fair number of biological differences and new abilities that have left some reeling. That it's a different take will be a useful thing to know going in.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Intelligent... oh, big one... By the way, if the monster's killing civilians than what's bad about a little collateral damage? Why would they think they could kill it?

They have to try to do something, yeah? Anyways, there's a line in the movie - I believe along the lines of "it's a living creature, right? That means it can be killed!" - where they rationalize an attack. As for the civilians: it's the Prime Minister's decision to hold off for their sake. The JSDF needs full permission from the PM to initiate hostilities. A big point of this is made during the movie.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Even apart from its size, there would be something abnormal about such a large creature "suddenly" appearing.

Well, it doesn't "just appear", full size and all. No, the matter of size is a recent phenomenon for this creature. That's all I want to say without getting into too many spoilers.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Not to mention how the creature ascribes to no natural taxonomy so even "Hey, let's study it!" seems dubious.

Surely that's more of a reason to study it...? A monster appears that undergoes rapid change and growth over a short period, regularly shows increasing and seemingly endless methods of destruction, and is immune to the majority of human weapons. When given the chance, surely studying it is a solid response.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Intelligent... for a Godzilla film. I guess that's fair; A satellite goes down and officials immediately cry "It's the work of a monster!" They're right but there's no reason for them to be so.

A red liquid (not unlike blood) pours into a tunnel, and also disperses on the surface of Tokyo Bay after an explosion. That it may have come from a living creature is as reasonable an assumption as any.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
[

What i'm saying is i really like Godzilla films.... Even the bad ones

Thank god I'm not the only one who BroderickZilla Razz
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:26 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
[

What i'm saying is i really like Godzilla films.... Even the bad ones

Thank god I'm not the only one who BroderickZilla Razz

Does Merxamers actually include BroderickZilla in the bad category? Or is Merxamers talking about bad Japanese Godzilla movies. Broderick's Godzilla movie is only a Godzilla movie in name.

I think a lot of the hate for Broderick's Godzilla movie is because it is not a Godzilla movie. It is a big lizard monster movie, and the big lizard monster doesn't even look remotely like Godzilla. Broderick's Godzilla movie monster is closer to the Cloverfield monster than Godzilla. I went in to watch Broderick's Godzilla, and left disappointed because it wasn't a Godzilla movie. But what if the movie had an original title and didn't pretend to be a Godzilla movie. Maybe I would have left with a different attitude.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Does Merxamers actually include BroderickZilla in the bad category? Or is Merxamers talking about bad Japanese Godzilla movies. Broderick's Godzilla movie is only a Godzilla movie in name.

I think a lot of the hate for Broderick's Godzilla movie is because it is not a Godzilla movie. It is a big lizard monster movie, and the big lizard monster doesn't even look remotely like Godzilla. Broderick's Godzilla movie monster is closer to the Cloverfield monster than Godzilla. I went in to watch Broderick's Godzilla, and left disappointed because it wasn't a Godzilla movie. But what if the movie had an original title and didn't pretend to be a Godzilla movie. Maybe I would have left with a different attitude.

Not all of us believe in fanon discontinuity though.
Woomy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
#861940 wrote:

Yeah, I could hardly call something pretentious when it comes from deep inside the heart like that. I mean, who understands that depressed mentality more than someone who's actually suffering/suffered from it? I think over the years people tend to see all of the excessive thematic and symbolic interpretations proposed by hardcore fans and are actually insulting that, not the actual show. Because I've always felt what made it so great was that, at its core, it has a very simple and human story, but the viewer could also dissect a lot more from it if they wanted to. Hell, even the stuff that people accuse of just being there to "look cool" miss the point that art can really mean anything once it's put out into the world. Just because the creators didn't intend for a meaning to be there, that doesn't mean different interpretations are any less valid. I mean, the creator of the GIF format says it's supposed to be pronounced with a soft "G" but plenty of people still pronounce it with a hard "G." Plus I just really have always enjoyed Anno's style. Even if you didn't like Evangelion, acting as if that is all he's about ignores the many other great productions he's been apart of. I know a lot of people who love stuff like Gunbuster and His and Her Circumstances (including myself).

Well that rant ended up being a lot longer than I'd hoped. But yeah! I can't wait to see this in October. The drive will be a little over an hour but I think it'll be worth it to see Japan's epic Godzilla effects on the big screen (also Shiro Sagisu's score!).

Look, nothing will change my mind on Evengelion. I utterly despise that show.

I'm also a person that has suffered for years with bipolar disorder and severe depression, but this show does not do anything for me. And sure as hell isn't entertaining.

I could go on for pages with a very detailed explanation as to why Evangelion fails on so many levels and isn't the complex, symbolic "masterpiece" so many anime fans claim it is, but I feel as if it would be pointless because it would probably get ignored and I'd be told that I'm just "not smart enough to understand it". They're just too stubborn.

Look, keep watching this stuff, I don't care, just know neither of our stances on Anno's work will change.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:

I could go on for pages with a very detailed explanation as to why Evangelion fails on so many levels and isn't the complex, symbolic "masterpiece" so many anime fans claim it is, but I feel as if it would be pointless because it would probably get ignored and I'd be told that I'm just "not smart enough to understand it". They're just too stubborn

Or it could simply be, that everyone's tastes are different. There's neither right or wrong to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2