• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Does Pokemon Look So Different Now?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
The new visual of Ash took a little bit of time to adjust to, but I got used to it. Judging from the latest Japanese episode previews, I did notice that the visuals are starting to get better...
spark67

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I have not problem with the new animation style, but the history itself, Ash and his new companions don´t have any goal, the new series isn´t fun enougth to justify the change of animation, i will prefer a more serios animation like xyz but with a better or deep history, but without Serena, i can´t stand her and the child beauty contest, where are you May?

Last edited by spark67 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sayuri Lapis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
The reason why the art style changed was because of Yokai Watch. It's obvious. Don't get me wrong, I like the animation, but I hate how Ash was downgraded to looking like a 7 year old.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Pokemon these days has everything you want if you are into moe/waifu culture. The only thing that really needs changes now is the protagonist in the anime, they need to find a way to ditch Ash (I heard the anime would end if he's gone, it needs to be rebooted with a new protagonist).

They tried that with Origin. It flopped. It's like asking for a Dragonball reboot without Goku.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
Pokemon these days has everything you want if you are into moe/waifu culture. The only thing that really needs changes now is the protagonist in the anime, they need to find a way to ditch Ash (I heard the anime would end if he's gone, it needs to be rebooted with a new protagonist).

They tried that with Origin. It flopped. It's like asking for a Dragonball reboot without Goku.

It flopped? Most people i know keep singing it praises... me included <.<
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Venitas wrote:
methedemon wrote:
new pokemon anime looks hideous. I don't care what's the reasons are, it's so damn ugly.

Please don't have bias again this anime because of the Ash's design.
Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBH3IYRjaw you will understand why the animetor' redesign

Amusingly, this article and that video are by the same person, but I appreciate the thought. lol

I'm honestly really dumbfounded by the negative reaction to this change. I guess as an animation fan, it's different for me, but I don't see anything negative about this AT ALL. Why does it matter that he looks exactly the same? It's not like the story is all that linear or heavily narrative based. The entire medium has gone through progressive changes and adapted to new financial, economic, and technological advancements. It's like Pokemon fans have something against progress. It is both amusing and kind of horrifying that they had to go so far as to basically lie to the fans when they switched to digipaint by using filters to make it look like it was still cell-painted and then slowly nudge them into the digital age.
Anyway, good to see your writing here Callum. I see you're moving up in the world! Razz
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
pauladls wrote:
Mature people complaining about a preeschoolar show, pathetic

So, you're saying that just because it's supposedly a pre-schooler show that it's free from criticism from non-preschoolers? You're a total boofhead. Crap should not be given a free pass whether or not they're for kids. If you like the new look, that's fine but don't be an pr*ck about it.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the previous seasons, Sun and Moon is the most dynamically animated, but still a damn shame about the character designs and overall direction they're going for. XYZ did a lot of things right for the anime, but then decided to just throw it all away. Reminds me of how Gen 5 was a step in the right direction when it comes to postgame content, but the newer gens just regard them as a complete afterthought.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
The new Ash looks a little like Senbei Norimaki of Dr. Slump.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched S&M yet, but only have seen some scenes of it. I've accepted that it's being different from other seasons like it's game counterpart for a reason. I don't find both of them to be interesting so whether I watch it or not isnt guaranteed. XY(including Mega Evolution) series is my favorite season, you've said it all for me in the article.

I knew that Serena scene would be mention. So great. ~DoriDoriDoriimu Pawaa! DoriDori Pawaa!~

Quote:
Although Ash is a continuous character,

You were doing great with this informative Japanese context'd article until you said that. Is there some sort of filter on ANN that changes the word Satoshi(comes from Pocket Monsters creator Satoshi Tajiri) to Ash(a lie)? Is it so hard to say actually say the name? Like recently, with S&M anime being advertised for release in Japan. When describing the story, you say Satoshi (Ash in English) then in the 2nd paragraph you only say Ash like you didn't start off saying Satoshi. You have no problem saying Satoshi Tajiri's name. You have no problem saying Satoshi Yamamoto's name. Why don't you change their names to Ash Ketchum by default? I find that disrespectful to Satoshi Tajiri. The name Satoshi has more meaning than Ash ever will. It is the ORIGINAL name and it is a TRIBUTE to Satoshi Tajiri. Are you so brainwashed by western societies lies that you refuse to acknowledge the truth? I have no problem with you saying "Satoshi (Ash in English)". Satoshi, the original name is rightfully treated first while Ash is treated as secondary and as an afterthought. Yes, you have English only readers here, but only mentioning Ash makes no sense at all in this Japanese context'd article. You do a better job(still bad) at this with Yu-Gi-Oh! Even though you treat the original names as secondary when reporting Japanese related news.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
^Ash is the official English name. That is approved by the licensor. It seems silly to get so worked up by someone using the English name when writing an article about it in English.
CanipaShow
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Hi, I'm the writer of the article. Thought I'd dive into the trenches and clear some stuff up.

Quote:
The reason why the art style changed was because of Yokai Watch. It's obvious. Don't get me wrong, I like the animation, but I hate how Ash was downgraded to looking like a 7 year old.

Okay, that is nonsense. I've seen this around a lot, but there's never been any basis for it. I've watched 100+ episodes of Youkai Watch. It's embarrassing, but nonsense like this forces me to admit it. The series are genuinely nothing alike. Whilst Youkai Watch has silly faces, they're only done for the sake of pop culture references. Like Whisper suddenly having Bruce Willis' face or something. Pokemon's approach is entirely different. This silly rumour is just the result of people going, "Pokemon now has silly animation, what else is silly? Oh, yeah. Youkai Watch."

Quote:
Anyway, good to see your writing here Callum. I see you're moving up in the world!

Thanks! Absolutely honoured to have been invited to do this.
Quote:

You were doing great with this informative Japanese context'd article until you said that. Is there some sort of filter on ANN that changes the word Satoshi(comes from Pocket Monsters creator Satoshi Tajiri) to Ash(a lie)? Is it so hard to say actually say the name?

I'll admit, I found this comment hilarious. Ash is the official localized name and that's generally how you're meant to refer to characters and shows in writing. Do you think Tajiri gets angry when someone shows him the English version of Pokemon?

"I can't believe they're not using my name! I do hope someone gets really angry on my behalf in an ANN comment section."

I also genuinely have no idea who you're talking to. The mysterious writer known as Mr. News Network? I'm impressed with your detective skills, Mr. Holmes. You've found that every name attached to an ANN article is in fact a pen-name for the same omnipresent ghost writer.

Jokes aside though, lol.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
It flopped? Most people i know keep singing it praises... me included <.<

In terms of ratings and sales, yeah. Laughing When it aired it got lower ratings that the Best Wishes episode in the same week.

zrnzle500 wrote:
^Ash is the official English name. That is approved by the licensor. It seems silly to get so worked up by someone using the English name when writing an article about it in English.

It's a valid complaint, especially if you're talking about episodes that aren't even in English yet so the only way you would have seen them as if you're watching the fansubs or RAWs which both use Japanese names. I still find it dumb when Detective Conan is referred to as Case Closed in news articles despite the dub being dead for over a decade and literally none of the fans call it that or use the dub names. If I had to guess I would say it's some kind of agreement between the site and the licensing companies. Sameway Dragon Ball Super wasn't being reviewed until an official stream popped up. Admitting to using fansubs or giving the finger to their "official" English names probably isnt a way to win favor with companies.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Like the author said above I don't think the creators care about people using the localized name. If you prefer the romanized version of the character's name, more power to you. But to say that the localized name is totally unacceptable and disrespectful seems wrongheaded and purist to a fault. On Conan, I never refer to it as Case Closed but I don't get my undies in a bunch when it is referred to as such. In that case there may be other copyrights that may disallow them from using the romanized original title. But where Conan fans I've seen avoid the official title, English Pokémon fans don't at least not to the same extent.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I love Pokémon Sun and Moon anime to hell and back.

Ash's design and concept is fantastic, I especially love how now he's completely in sync with Pikachu. Almost everything that Ash does is reflected by Pikachu, either imitating him or doing something related to what he's talking about. He still hasn't lost anything of his adventure-ish personality and his care for Pokémon, which was something that was really hammered on in XY, particularly with Goodra and Greninja. Not a fan of the T-Shirt, though, way too similar to the game protagonist.

I do get that people are "put off" by the lack of goal, but Ash has already stated that he wants to be Pokémon Master in Sun and Moon, and the game offers the experience for becoming a Pokémon Master no less than all the previous games, and I think Ash will have an excellent challenge on it.

And, like in most of the anime iterations, something I always love is the expansion of the Pokémon world and its characteers that are already in the games, such as giving proper design to Lana's sisters, having Mallow and Lillie form a friendship through cooking (also, Lillie's role in this anime is very similar to a Nurse Joy who disliked touching Pokémon and used a suit very similar to Lillie's, and that episode was awesome). Different from most of the partners throughout the years, these characters exist besides a goal; they don't need a grand goal to be their own person, unlike most other partners who always needed "their thing" to do, and were very much defined by them. A trend that has been gradually erased in Black and White, XYZ and almost inexistent now.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6