• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Wolf's Rain BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I've always found Wolf's Rain to be a case of wasted potential. It has some of the best pedigree in anime history (Nobumoto, Kawamoto, Kanno), but it does so little with it. Most of the characters are paper-thin vehicles for the themes rather than living, breathing agents of the tapestry, and a lot of the interesting ideas and concepts go ill-utilized throughout. I find the main wolf characters to be so abysmally dull that it is really hard for me to care whether or not they find Paradise. Blue the wolf-dog is the only good wolf character and the show should have been about her and her struggle between the two worlds she was in. Instead it languishes, mostly in the final act, looking for a way to stretch out its plot beyond its purpose.

At best, Wolf's Rain is a decent show with some excellent staging and composition, but with little else, and at worst its a complete boondoggle. Even Kanno's OST is mostly forgettable, outside of a few tracks. This should be one of the greatest anime ever made, but it pales when compared to some of Nobumoto's other works, like Macross Plus and Cowboy Bebop. It's not even in the same league.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
enigmatic plot and brutally tragic tone will be hard to stomach for some audiences

I'm definitely part of the "some audiences" Jacob refers to here. I could never get over the cold overtones that the show emanated, so I just found its last few episodes to be pointlessly depressing. In fact, the show so failed to resonate with me emotionally that I've long wondered if I missed something about it when I hear others rave about it.

But I do remember it having a good dub and a great soundtrack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
For my money Wolf's Rain remains one of the greatest anime series ever created. Stunningly beautiful, heart-rendingly tragic, cryptic and contemplative and mysterious and philosophical, with a tone that's somehow both starkly nihilistic and enduringly hopeful. It remains one of the few works of fiction that managed to all but reduce me to a sobbing puddle. And the music...my God, it's Yoko Kanno's masterstroke. Even today, years later, there are certain tracks that instantly send shivers down my spine. And that goes double when coupled with the show's visuals: I don't think I can make it through the scene with Cheza and the wolves in that flowery meadow, or even Kiba lying in the snow in the show's very first moments, without choking up a bit. I've seen it multiple times (though sadly not for years now), and yet I doubt I've gleaned a tenth of what it has to offer. I have the original big Bandai boxset, but even if this is just a digipaint upscale, it's an absolute double-dip for me.

(Fun fact: this was one of the first "real" anime series I stumbled across during my first forays into late-night TV in college, and the first episodes I saw of it were the last 4 or 5. One hell of an introduction, right?)
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's the kind of show where it's possible to watch all the way through without ever realizing that one of the main characters is blind (no one ever says that Cheza's big expressive eyes don't actually work)

I found this line a little dumbfounding because it's... completely true. I just rewatched the show recently and I can't remember anyone ever mentioning her sight or the show itself making much of a reference to it. But it's something I've known about her and reading that makes me not sure where I got it from. Maybe I read something elsewhere or maybe the show itself was really subtle and I just kinda got it.

I have the Bandai sets so I don't feel the need to double dip, but this is an interesting show for sure even if if they were so dang vague about everything. Great to hear Joshua Seth in a main role.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
enigmatic plot and brutally tragic tone will be hard to stomach for some audiences

I'm definitely part of the "some audiences" Jacob refers to here. I could never get over the cold overtones that the show emanated, so I just found its last few episodes to be pointlessly depressing. In fact, the show so failed to resonate with me emotionally that I've long wondered if I missed something about it when I hear others rave about it.

But I do remember it having a good dub and a great soundtrack.

Pretty much my take on it. It's been a few years now, but I remember recognizing that it was well made across the board and liking the atmosphere, but I never got that emotionally attached to it. The story just never had the emotional hook it needed for me to love it. It was always kind of distant and hard to really get into.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gwdone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
Jacob,
That was a very good article and review!!! Thanks!!!
I'm a lover of Wolf's Rain, Texhnolyze, and Last Exile. The original collectors art box for Wolf's Rain has to be one of the most oddly shaped special box set housing I own. Pretty wildly shaped.

I also love that Wolf's Rain demands patience. Many of my other favorite series requires giving time for the full story lines to develop. It's just one of the aspects of why I respect and adore many of the series that's formatted in that manner.

I do like fast paced and action packed as well. That's what's great about anime to me. You can pick from so many mannerisms of execution, then revisit the series that one feels they are in the mood for while enjoying and respecting the efforts of the delivery itself.
Again, super job Jacob!!!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation's blu-ray release retains all the standard definition on-disc extras from the Bandai DVDs, with audiovisual quality as good as it can get for a gorgeous series produced at such a low original resolution.

Awesome.
This was a fantastic show, so it's great to hear that they did a great job with it.

Funimation does what Anchor Bay-don't. Wish they had had the rights to co-produce the SAC blu-ray sets with Manga Ent's materials for the video, dub, subs, and extras. They would have probably done a fantastic job with it like on this and Bebop and included all of the old extras. spoiler[Though they've ofcourse also had occasional instances of their own audio track mistakes, though usually of the accidental mono/stereo variety, rather than the totally bizarre one on the first SAC set.]

MarshalBanana wrote:
Keiko Nobumoto(Also Tokyo Godfathers and Macross Plus) is the most underappreciated writers in Anime, and is able to do it without coming off as pretentious. It is a shame that this one has fallen by the wayside over the years. When it should really be held up there with the best of them, some ironically she wrote.

Agreed. I wish she would have gotten to write even more great original anime after these.

gwdone wrote:
I'm a lover of Wolf's Rain, Texhnolyze, and Last Exile. The original collectors art box for Wolf's Rain has to be one of the most oddly shaped special box set housing I own. Pretty wildly shaped.

Really liked all three of these shows, Texhnolyze was another great unique show, Wolf's Rain is up there near the top, and Last Exile is one of my absolute favs.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Liked the show, but do not know about revisiting, or upgrading? to this.
At this point I really can not see watching this again.
It joins the huge pile of anime I own that I will probably never rewatch.
At least its not the also huge pile of anime I own that I will probably never even watch.
Really cant see upgrading what I already have.

This might be a tough sell for Funimation.
wolf4537

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
Wolf's Rain = MY #1 ALL TIME FAVORITE ANIME. Nothing else will ever top that!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2