• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shomin Sample BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamui97

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I remember really enjoying the first half of this. The comedy stuff was fun, and I really liked the potential of the crazy concept. They just didn't do enough with it. I found 3 of the girls really funny at first, but after a while it got boring and repetitive. Seemed like the writers just stopped trying.
dash56

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
This show was so stupid in the best ways and that's why I loved it. Every now and then I enjoy a show that embraces their absurdity and has fun with it. Especially that finale. Also 2 things about the review. One he mentions the panty shots fanservice but honestly what stood out was their obsession with thighs. It's probably not unique but it stood out to me. And secondly I can't believe he didn't mention the maid episode. Come on, that was genuinely hilarious. Those maids were the stars of that episode.

Cool gets Cool
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:21 am Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
Also 2 things about the review. One he mentions the panty shots fanservice but honestly what stood out was their obsession with thighs. It's probably not unique but it stood out to me.

I don't think it is terribly common for an anime to be very interested in thighs especially not to the degree that Shomin Sample is.

---------------------------------------------------

That was actually the most remarkable thing about it to me. Aside from the difficult to believe premise, it is also one of the few things I remember about it. Overall, I thought it was meh. I didn't dislike watching it as it aired but I don't think I would watch it again, and if I'm being honest a not insignificant part of what interested me was the show's aforementioned interest in thighs.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

I don't think it is terribly common for an anime to be very interested in thighs especially not to the degree that Shomin Sample is.

Not so fast. Try Bladedance of the Elementalers. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed the show. It was not the best, but it had a kind of charm that I felt attracted to. It kind of made me think of Oran High, but with girls. I don't know, I had fun with it.

Gets!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quote
It's a dumb premise and it's presented poorly but it is also funny. Sadly though, comedy is its only redeeming feature... have we really gotten to the point where a comedy is funny and it's still not enough? Weird.. but the problem with the show is that it tried to be almost ambitious with a character here and there, mostly Kujo, but it had no plans to follow through on it.

If it just remained silly, it would have been fine but in its attempt at trying to do something more than comedy, the production team just ended up showing how little they cared about the show.

I've seen worse... I probably even like worse... but I'll take "worse" over frustratingly inert.

And I didn't care that much for the dub; There were too many "so and so veteran would have been great in this role" characters but all the newcomers didn't impress me at all.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed it enough while it was airing, and I may even give it a rewatch someday. Some of the jokes were terrible (the gay ones always made me cringe, as did Hakua's stripping), but there were sweet enough moments sprinkled throughout the show to make me smile. And the "fight" between the orange-hair and blond-hair (too lazy to remember their names) was just adorable.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
From the article:
Quote:
Some suggestions are dropped that Kujo's disdain for Kimito might only be masking her real feelings,...

I would assert that the reveal of the real reason she wished he would never wake up in the morning was more than a suggestion.
DanQ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
I came for cheap laughts, I got cheap laughts... and catchy opening. ~_^

Actually, some jokes was somehow clever, in cases they mirroring our world point of view (I just assume that school was full of girl-aliens which landed in 19th century ~_^).
for example "why do you call it maido, when they don't do anything maid should do" or "hamburger from the finest fresh ingredience... what a crap, hamburgers should be made of cheap stuff" Anime smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2