• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Street Fighter V DLC Stage Temporarily Pulled to Remove Islamic Chant in BGM

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Folks try and get it right. Be careful of what you use on a project. But I wonder if this was the case before and no one really paid attention.

Now that you bring it up, Street Fighter is a series that has had a major character from Thailand for 25 years. You'd think that would be plenty of time to get their facts straight, especially since, from what I've observed over the years, Japan is a country whose entertainment industry takes great pains to get things depicted right.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Folks try and get it right. Be careful of what you use on a project. But I wonder if this was the case before and no one really paid attention.

Now that you bring it up, Street Fighter is a series that has had a major character from Thailand for 25 years. You'd think that would be plenty of time to get their facts straight, especially since, from what I've observed over the years, Japan is a country whose entertainment industry takes great pains to get things depicted right.

Exactly. I figured that if this is Sagat's stage since he IS from Thailand that there would be something that could be pulled from there. When his stage first appeared back in the 90's, I never thought much of it. But there were themes, they were pretty generic but they worked. I've never heard what Thai music sounds like but I can unsubconsciously trust that Capcom attempted to create one based on what it's supposed to be. So again no one thought about it or thought to research what Thai music sounds like. You just don't think about it. But you make the connection to what's obvious.

I've listened to and collected game music for years and you just get immersed in the music. Sometimes you feel it clicks sometimes you don't think about whether it fits the theme. Sometimes get it right other times they improvise. Speak to any composer and they'll tell you something about how they come to the decision as to why they chose or created said theme. This has been the case for decades. But we're now in a strange period where anything can seen as offensive. And while in some cases it isn't such a big deal, there are times when the content creators NOW are really going to be more alert when using "samples". They might have gotten away with it before. But now...people are going through things with a fine tooth comb to either raise awareness or create selective outrage.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Exactly. I figured that if this is Sagat's stage since he IS from Thailand that there would be something that could be pulled from there. When his stage first appeared back in the 90's, I never thought much of it. But there were themes, they were pretty generic but they worked. I've never heard what Thai music sounds like but I can unsubconsciously trust that Capcom attempted to create one based on what it's supposed to be. So again no one thought about it or thought to research what Thai music sounds like. You just don't think about it. But you make the connection to what's obvious.

If we're talking about traditional Thai music, which I guess would be what would work best at a temple (the country has its own pop music business too, which I don't think would fit quite as well), it's pretty closely related to the percussion-based gamelan music used in Indonesia and also significantly influenced by traditional Indian music. They also use a string instrument similar but not quite like the Chinese erhu, but I don't know what it's called.

Sonic Unleashed has a stage set in a fictional country that combines the look and people of a number of southeast Asian countries. For the hub world, the game's sound team brought in Tokyo Gamelan to play the themes, with Kenichi Tokoi composing something pretty authentic-sounding. SEGA could create ethnic music with the region's native instruments pretty easily; Capcom can too. (Then again, Mariko Nanba seems to be very, very good at finding musicians of exotic instruments, and Capcom might not have someone like her.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2