• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Production I.G's New Legend of the Galactic Heroes Anime Recasts Main Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote
The new manga (it´s quite good) can´t be adapted as it isn´t far enough ahead and the design on the promo art is different too. It is also telling the same old story, just with (some) of the side novel used in the chronological order.
Some of the original VAs are dead, retired and most importantly 30 years older. Using them in the previous roles would have been a farce. So far so good. Good speed IG and how awesome is it that a new generation will get a chance to see the classic novels / OVAs with fresh eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
So it's actually happening, alright then

(please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Some of the original VAs are dead, retired and most importantly 30 years older. Using them in the previous roles would have been a farce.
Shuichi Ikeda still voices Char, and he first did that almost 40 years ago.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:

Still no word on when Sentai Filmworks is gonna release the original run?

Not yet. The show has never had an official English translation, so they have to do everything from scratch. Sentai has also recently moved to larger episode count sets, so more of the episodes will need to be completed before any releases can start. Also, I imagine with the amount of work needed and the age of the OVA's, the approvals process is probably a nightmare.

I actually feel a little badly for the guys working on this one. It can't be easy, and no matter how well the final product comes out, there are going to be some very vocal complainers.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
Some of the original VAs are dead, retired and most importantly 30 years older. Using them in the previous roles would have been a farce.

And he doesn't sound good, to be honest. I definitely don't subscribe to the notion which seems to be popular nowadays, that voice actors' age should reflect their characters' - people who say this probably don't know a lot about voice acting. Nevertheless, there IS such a thing as "too young" or "too old" for a role. It was really awkward to listen to Kotono Mitsuishi in Sailor Moon Crystal, she sounded like a middle-aged lady trying to sound like a young girl. Same with Char: Ikeda is nearing 70, no matter how good an actor he is, his voice quality is just not the same anymore, you can hear the age in it. Same with Horikawa, by the way: yes, he still has his voice but he's already 60 and you can hear it in his voice. He simply wouldn't be convincing as a fresh-faced 19 year-old anymore.

Gundam gets away with using Ikeda because Char is a legendary character that will be forever associated with Ikeda. But LoGH is a different case. This anime will be a different adaptation, a different approach, a different show. In case the adaptation will be baed on/inspired by the new manga it means the characterization will be different as well in case of some characters. There's no point in keeping the cast from a previous adaptation simply because that adaptation was very long and the cast was very good. The later seiyuu generations have good actors in them, it would be pointless not to use them.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
I for one am excited by the prospect of a new adaptation. I'm only half-way through the original show and I love it. Having said that, it is incredibly inaccessible to a wide audience due to its length and age. It took me a good 5-6 episodes to get into the original because I initially thought it was boring. Who wouldn't want to see a new adaptation with modern animation from Production I.G.? As long as they get a decent director, I'm all in.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

I was gonna point that out. But Ikeda-senpai sounds really good. Vegeta shows signs of his age in Super.

Anyway... is this a remake? Sequel? What?
SHD

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

I was gonna point that out. But Ikeda-senpai sounds really good. Vegeta shows signs of his age in Super.

Anyway... is this a remake? Sequel? What?

Ikeda doesn't sound all that good either. It's just that for all intents and purposes he pretty much is Char, so he can continue voicing him until his last breath and nobody will bat an eyelash.

It's not a remake nor a sequel. It's a new adaptation of the novels.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
It was obvious that they'll recast characters, sicne both Yang and Oberstein's vocie actors are dead and Norio Wakamoto doesn't really even tries to act these days (he just hams it to the maximum. Ushio to Tora is a small exception). Ryo Horikawa probably could still could pull a Reinhard (look at Heiji Hattori), but it would be better to find a new voice actor. Nozomu Sasaki easily could voice Julian (hell, he stil can voice kids - look at his cameo role in Ushio to Tora) and some voice actors, like Toshio Furukawa, Kazuhiko Inoue, Juurouta Kosugi and Sho Hayami wouldn't have any problem returining to their roles, since their characters weren't young to begin with, but obviously some sacrifices has to be made.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Dunno, I heard Ikeda in some recent years in rather young roles (not Gundam), and honestly, I like his voice more than I will ever like the likes of Hosoya Yoshimasa, or Yoshitsugu Matsuka.

As for this...

While I absolutely love old cast, I appreciate the fact they decided to do recast.

It is a new adaptation, and it should stand on its own.

I wonder how much will they modernise setting to reflect today world, or rather future from the point of view of today's world, and not 90s.

Something tells me Jun Fukuyama could end up Reinhard.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Sentai has also recently moved to larger episode count sets, so more of the episodes will need to be completed before any releases can start.

With how they're releasing all 3 cours of Ushio & Tora in 1 set from the start, it's hard to imagine how many episodes of LoGH they'll release in sets. Shocked

Quote:
I actually feel a little badly for the guys working on this one. It can't be easy, and no matter how well the final product comes out, there are going to be some very vocal complainers.

Unfortunately I expect the same and mostly for the wrong reasons like the BDs being upscaled, which was the same on the Japanese release likely because of the awful digital corrections made originally for the DVDs.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Ok i respect people's opinion on the Ikeda (Char) example but he and Tohru Furuya still sound like Char & Amuro. The aging of their voice (which is very minimum IMHO) is normal for those who have been listening to them over the years in various Gundam shows and games.

Now personally i didn't watch LOGH yet and i am waiting for Sentai's release to watch it for the first time. Though honestly the impressive seiyuu cast in it is one of the reasons i am looking forward to it.

And my take on seiyuu change is i always prefer to keep the original cast with exception for death/retired cases especially if the seiyuu has been already associated (or perhaps type-cast) as the character like the earlier example of Amuro and Char (Furuya & Ikeda).

For the new LOGH i can't make a comment here since i didn't watch the show before but i just hope that the seiyuu change will with good younger ones who can stay with the character for the next decade(s) for further adaptions.

(Change) Shin Get Robo did change (1998) did change the original 70s cast and it turned out to be good. Same with Shin Mazinger (2009), and Yamato 2022.

Bad ones i can think about were Saint Seiya Inferno chapters, and Shin Hokuto No Ken.

Let's hope this change will turn out to be a good one Smile
SHD

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
And my take on seiyuu change is i always prefer to keep the original cast with exception for death/retired cases especially if the seiyuu has been already associated (or perhaps type-cast) as the character like the earlier example of Amuro and Char (Furuya & Ikeda).

Well, in case of LoGH the "original" anime was not the original work, it was just an adaptation of the source novel series which by that time already had a manga adaptation, and eventually there was also a different, unrelated OVA with a completely different voice cast. This new show is going to be yet another unrelated adaptation of the source novels. There's no obligation whatsoever to stick to the OVA cast, no reason other than people basically wanting more of the same. (And I really hope this show will not try to be "more of the same" but will stand on its own feet.)
Suena

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I know a lot of people love the original anime, but it was really hard for me to get into. The novels have been really good though (I'm partway through volume 2 now), and I look forward to a new adaptation that can take advantage of modern animation resources.

Do hope Sentai can put out the original anime soon for the fans, of course.
Bingal

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they don't screw up the character designs. No J-pop boy band aethstetics please. Anything but that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3